Nexus 7 (2013) LTE Not Connecting to Verizon

BruceHAZ

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a new in box unlocked Nexus 7 (2013) LTE from Best Buy here in the US. The Nexus is currently at Android 4.4.4.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a T-Mobile store and bought their SIMS card and got set up for the free 200MG per month offer. That has been working great with no problems.

This evening I went to the Verizon store where I got set up and purchased 1 GB of data and that included a free Verizon SIMS card. They set it up and it connected to the internet without a problem, so I powered off the Nexus, paid my money and left.

I few minutes later I stopped at fast food location and went to test the Nexus which now had the Verizon SIM card. The little triangle at the top showed I was receiving a signal, but it would not connect. There was no "LTE" displayed above the triangle and going into the status setting, it said not connected. I tried it again at my next stop several miles away and most likely a different cell tower and got the same result.

I ultimately got it to work by replacing the Verizon SIM with the T-Mobile SIM and connecting to T-Mobile. I then replaced the T-Mobile SIM with the Verizon SIM, turned it on, then it connected to Verizon LTE. However, once I turn it off and then back on, it goes back to the problem of not connecting. It shows a good signal strength on top but no "LTE". WiFi is turned off and the Data Enabled check box is marked under the Mobile Network Settings.

In summary, the only way I can get the Nexus to work on Verizon is if I first connect to T-Mobile using the T-Mobile SIM card, then power down and switch SIMS to Verizon and power back on. The only works the one power cycle, after that the Nexus will not connect to Verizon.

Couple of Qestions:

1. Are there members who are able to successfully switch back and forth between Verizon and T-Mobile SIMS using a Nexus 7 (2013) LTE not purchased from Verizon?

2. Does anyone have some ideas on what is going on with my situation and suggestions that might resolve the problem?

Thanks!

BruceHAZ

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions but sorry to say, I do not understand.

Could somebody please explain what is ment to go to cellular data. I understand going to "cellular data" would be connecting to the Verizon LTE network. That is what I am trying to do but cannot get it to connect after the first power cycle.

I only have a very limited understanding of VPN but I thought it comes into play after making a connection. How will setting up a VPN allow me to make the initial connection with a provider?

Thanks.

BruceHAZ

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Followup and Workaround

Here is some additional information. I left the unit on for about an hour and half and then checked on it. Some time in that time period it did connect to Verizon and worked as expected. However after the power was cycled, things were back as before and it would not connect shortly after turning it on.

I went to the Verizon store this afternoon and had the SIMS card swapped out for a new one. (That was an experience in itself. The poor store rep was put on hold over an hour from their internal support). That was not any help. Things were the same after the replacement of the SIM card.

Workaround: During this whole process the rep put the Nexus in airplane mode. Upon taking it out of airplane mode, the Nexus connected immediately. As it stands right now, in order to get it to connect after turning it on, I must turn on airplane mode and then take it out of airplane mode and with Data Enabled checked, it is connecting. Hopefully that will continue because I am able to live with that until some software update comes out which magically fixes the problem.

The Verizon internal telephone support person did a search of their data base and said there were no reports of this problem. He advised the store rep to tell the customer (me) to report it to Google and then said goodbye.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon