Is it necessary to use a SIM card with a Nexus 7 or can it just run on Wifi?

karynh

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 7 from Ebay. I charged it. I tried both the wall outlet (the light on the outlet plug did not turn on) and the computer to charge it. It will not turn on. Is it because I don't have a SIM card in it? It was brand new, sealed in the box when I got it.
Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Karynh,

No, you don't need a SIM card on ANY device to make it turn on. I would check if your charger is actually working or try to find a compatible one (any microUSB charger with over 1A of output current should do it). As a general rule of thumb, PC USB ports will not have enough current to charge your tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How long did you charge it before you tried to turn it on? Keep it plugged into a wall outlet for a good 6 hours or so before trying to turn it on. If it still doesn't work, try a different cable/plug--you should be able to use any microUSB cable and charging plug from any other device you have.

Keep in mind that just because it came in a sealed box, it doesn't mean it was brand new. It's relatively easy to repackage a used device and make it look new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair