Do I need a tablet?

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Do I need a tablet? I have an HTC one m8, macbook air 11 inch 2013, and nook simple touch. I could get the nexus 7 2013 16gb factory refurbished for $130 from woot.com. I have 3 days to buy it. What do you think? Any advice?

Posted with the HTC one m8

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, don't buy it. Not that I don't like my Nexus 7 2nd Gen 32GB model, but if you're buying it just because it's cheap and you want to see what the fuss is all about, I'd have to ask what are you personally going to use it for. Sounds like the Nook covers you for reading, the HTC one probably gets the most use for most things and the Mac air picks up the slack for everything else. I personally find myself with just too many devices and the sad thing is I'm always on the lookout for something else, which speaks volumes about my willpower. Frankly, my stuff is under utilized. I don't find myself spending enough time on them to justify the initial cost. My ipad air probably gets the most use, but I find that I'm spending more time updating apps than I'm actually spending time on the actual apps themselves. If you truly think you're going to use the Nexus 7 to replace the nook and take some of the weight off of the HTC one, then maybe you've got a good reason for buying it, but if you foresee it, sitting on a charger somewhere at some point, and you can't remember when the last time you used it, then it's an impulse buy and I'd probably give it a pass. It all comes down to how much use you're going to get out of it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree that you're not likely to find much additional utility to having a 7" tablet on top of your other nice devices. It's a great tablet, but it's a lot of function overlap for many people if they already have a smartphone and full size computer. If you have the funds laying around and can easily afford it, you could probably re-sell it & get your money back if you don't get much use out of it, but it's certainly not a "need" IMO.

AG212

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat, but leaning toward getting the 7. I have a new (as of august) HP windows 8 laptop that's got insane specs for me to do work on, and an S5 which I love as well. However, I don't really like using the laptop for casual browsing or for laying around on the couch, as its a 17 inch monster. I also find that I use the S5 a ton, and the battery kind of takes a hit, and I would much rather have that for out of the house. I think the N7 would be useful in the more casual setting to offload some from the S5. I also read occasionally on my phone, so it could be a nice change of pace. It seems like the perfect price point to experiment with if a tablets actually useful for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually am a college student, and I have a sort of tech fund, which I put some of my Reffing money and eBay money. I had a system on what with the old moto x, totally legal, where I could make about $40 profit a phone, about a phone a day in a half hour, but the new moto x is not on sprint, so I can't do it. Hard to explain. Anyways, I have $5,850 and I have a one year old, mounted, 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor, a year old computer, and a 4 month old phone, so none will be upgraded until my computer in 2015. I am a kind of eBay expert, so I could definitely resell the N7 for what I bought it for, or even at profit. There are no returns for the N7 from woot.com, but because of eBay I may just buy it and resell it if I don't get much use. I keep all my devices in mint condition. Thanks for all your help. Any other suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to vote for getting it. I like my Nexus 7 tablet for gaming and media consumption, due to the beautiful screen and the perfect size for portability. You can't just whip out your Macbook from your pocket and start playing a game while reclining on your couch or traveling on the train. And the Nexus 7 is going to be far more functional then your Nook.

It isn't just for entertainment, either. Since I use Google Drive and other Google apps a lot, I can manage a lot of work issues easily on my Nexus 7 as well. If I had to bring one device on a trip, it'd be the N7.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am going to say save your money. You have the similar capabilities with your phone. So you are not gaining that much.
I just got a Nexus 9 and because it has light bleed and I am not finding it that useful I am sending it back.

Also, I know it is boring but you might look at investing a bit of your money. Invested correctly and could make enough to buy a new tablet in a few months. I wish someone would have passed that advice onto me as a college student. I had to learn that lesson later, but has meant that I could get a lot of expensive toys (cars, etc) that my salary could not provide for. Now, every time I retire something to heap of obsolete junk I kick myself for not investing the money.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, I know it is boring but you might look at investing a bit of your money. Invested correctly and could make enough to buy a new tablet in a few months. I wish someone would have passed that advice onto me as a college student. I had to learn that lesson later, but has meant that I could get a lot of expensive toys (cars, etc) that my salary could not provide for. Now, every time I retire something to heap of obsolete junk I kick myself for not investing the money.

Party pooper.;)

Seriously, though, that's always good advice.

cwm58

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I asked myself the same question a couple of months ago. My laptop and LG G3 are sufficient for all practical purposes, so initially I decided against a tablet. However I eventually decided to by a nexus 7 for a couple of hundred dollars, having a penchant for computer devices! Really glad I bought it; so good for relaxing in bed or curling up on the couch. If one is not struggling financially, some things are just fun to have!

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I am going to say save your money. You have the similar capabilities with your phone. So you are not gaining that much.
I just got a Nexus 9 and because it has light bleed and I am not finding it that useful I am sending it back.

I have all my money made at various jobs, mainly Reffing, in a gene may. Out of the remaining almost $4,000, $2,500 is in various mutual funds and bonds. Even if 5 years only gets me 1%, I am able to compensate with inflation by investing by money. What I'll likely so I get the N7 if there's a sub $100 deal on black Friday. It would make sense then even if just for resale.