Have any of you Nexus 7 users switched over to the Nexus 9?

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone considered upgrading? Has anyone had any hands on time with the 9? I think the usage of it changes completely with the uptick in size and squaring of the aspect ratio. I think Google should have made an 8" Nexus with the same 16:10 aspect ratio as the 7 with 2560x1600 resolution. That way, it would have still been portable and easy to use in portrait mode (one handed reading). Throw a Snapdragon 805 in there with front facing speakers and you would have been good to go. Thoughts?

Posted via L3 G3 or Nexus 7 (2013)

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I did, and it's seriously not an upgrade. Cheapest feeling tablet I'd ever held. Sold it and kept my 2013 7

Posted via Android Central App

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 and now the Nexus 9. The 9 is harder to use while I am lying in bed but it is better then the 7 in every respect as far as the hardware goes; except perhaps storage and battery but I am fine with both. My 9 has no light bleed even with a black terminal screen and brightness turned all the way up. I prefer to use the 9 for everything unless I am lying in bed. Since Lollipop is still new you may find some apps will not work; ie. MX Player. Viewing pictures and videos is great on the 9 and the bigger screen is much better for web pages too.

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I'm anxious to see it in person. I played with the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 yesterday and found that to be the perfect size (for me). I just don't see the 9 being as portable.

Posted via L3 G3 or Nexus 7 (2013)

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have both. I like the extra screen real estate. 4:3 is better for most task, but letterboxing of moves is not ideal. All and all a nice system. Very fast and screen is more responsive.

Posted via the Android Central App

stevemc

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Nexus 7 (2012), the Nexus 7 (2013) and an iPad (Gen 3) prior to getting the Nexus 9 a week or so ago. The 9 is a nice tablet, and while I hear some comments about build quality, it's a nice tablet. No light bleed and no flex on the back of the case. But, also, all my tablets end up in slim cases like the Poetic for the Nexus 7, so I anticipate the 9 will be, too.

At first I was a bit annoyed at the subtle placement of the power and volume buttons, but with Lollipop a double tap on screen turns the device on,, so that's not much of an issue.

With a 7 and a 9 on the table available to her, my wife favors the 9 for everything except popping into to her purse for waiting at medical appointments, riding the bus, etc. She says that once she has a good case, she'll take the 9 since it fits in her purse. The larger screen real estate really is nice.

My iPad was a gift, and it's larger screen is nice for things like sharing photos and reading long documents or magazines. But I find iOS immensely frustrating, from minor-but-not-really-that-minor annoyances like no back button and many fewer options for sharing to applications. So a larger screen Android tablet is really a sweet thing to contemplate....

So far few problems with apps on Lollipop and very excited to see how this new OS will grow and mature.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I did, and it's seriously not an upgrade. Cheapest feeling tablet I'd ever held. Sold it and kept my 2013 7

I agree. This is the cheapest feeling tablet I have ever used is the first thing that came to my mind the second I picked it up. It's outrageous, the money they are asking for the n9.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I still would like to make the switch to it, but I also want to wait for HTC to make a new high end tablet with sense on it in 2015. Im kinda bored with vanilla android, even though 5.0 could change this (havent used it yet). I will likely get a 9 at some point pending what HTCs new tablet specs and setup ends up being.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I had that little Flyer before this tab, and I loved it. I never upgraded it to honeycomb, and gingerbread was old as hell, but it worked just fine

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I still would like to make the switch to it, but I also want to wait for HTC to make a new high end tablet with sense on it in 2015. Im kinda bored with vanilla android, even though 5.0 could change this (havent used it yet). I will likely get a 9 at some point pending what HTCs new tablet specs and setup ends up being.

If you're bored with Vanilla, why not just install a launcher. At least then you get to choose what things are set up like, vs manufacturer bloat...

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I have 10 inch, 8.3 inch, and 7 inch tablets, and the 7 inch form factor is by far more suited to my usage. Specifically, it is comfortable to hold with one hand across the back.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're bored with Vanilla, why not just install a launcher. At least then you get to choose what things are set up like, vs manufacturer bloat...

I enjoy Sense the most. So I go towards HTC products. Im also not a fan of launchers, if I need to use a launcher to enjoy my phone more, I bought the wrong phone.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably not going to be buying Nexus at all after my N7. It just feels like my Nexus experience across several devices has been one long journey of poor QC issues. I already took a pass on the N6 on the phone side and the N7 will likewise be replaced by something other than a Nexus. Perhaps I may even try out using an android phone and an iPad this time around. I don't necessarily need to have a lot of the android features I prefer on my tablet.

Jim Turner1

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Do a Web search on Nexus 7 GPS failure you will see what I say below is true.

I do not understand any of this? Why would anyone buy another Google device after the poor support they have given to the Nexus 7 GPS issue. Almost 2 years and still no fix to what they screwed up. YEP most of you won't know about the GPS failures because you don't use it. Yet if you did you would see Google Andoid has done next to nothing to fix the issue. WHY with the total failure of the NEXUS 7 GPS issue and lack of fix or support would anyone buy anything from Google ever again. Do you not know you can't even call them for support. It is a 3rd party who doesn't even know about the admitted GPS doesn't work issue.They left the work around to us the consumers to figure out on our own. So go ahead buy the Nexus 9 I can promise you will wish you hadn't inside of 6 month because you will find there is no such thing as Google support for their product. OH and no I'm not alone on this there are many many others who have the same thoughts and same issue with the GPS bug Google created . SO good freaking luck with the 9 it will be worse than the 7 was is my guess. It already has a cheap feel to it. Odds are good the insides are cheaper than that. By the way 9 owners , have you even tried the GPS to see if it will work for more than a few hours or reconnect if it lost signal?

Signed
Google has crappy no service.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't have WiFi outside of my house - which I know my way around - so no, I don't use GPS on my tablet.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I was looking forward to getting the new N9 after so many months of hype, but it's a big disappointment, so now I'm just waiting for the next gen Samsung amoled screen 10", as I want a tablet with a bigger screen. I would also get a 2015 N7 if it was priced similarly to the 2013, which I would say is the best buy I ever got in computers (aside from that 12 inch laptop I got at Costco and used for three years and then it broke and then Costco refunded my full purchase price under their extended 3 year American Express warranty which they no longer offer!) .

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm always surprised to hear about problems with the Nexus 7.

My family has owned five N7s. Two were broken (one by the dog, one by my wife), but otherwise they have been flawless.

We are NOT casual users, either. We use the N7 in our aircraft for second tier navigation and instrumentation, displaying in-flight, real-time traffic and weather. Additionally, we are on the Nexus 7s at least several hours per day.

No complaints. Never a glitch. GPS is flawless on all of them. Go figure.

Winkzz

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
My 13 N7 has been awesome. Flashed lollipop and it runs so butter smooth. Feels brand new. Love this tablet. That said I have no real desire to upgrade. Looking at N6 for the phablet look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs