Faulty Nexus 7 2nd Gen?

jkglass

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm looking for some help on deciding whether or not to open a return case for a Nexus 7 2nd gen (4.4 KitKat) I just bought off eBay. It was listed as perfect condition with no returns accepted and when I received it, the Nexus looked like it hadn't even been taken out of the plastic wrap but after using it for a few days, I have run into issues when trying to connect to devices. I've got an iMac running 10.6.8 and a Mac mini running 10.10 and neither is picking up my Nexus with Android File Transfer. Also, the Nexus is also not picking up a micro usb flash drive with Nexus Media Importer (the paid version) but USB Device Info does show the Nexus is picking up a USB device.
Here are a few screenshots:
View attachment 151570
View attachment 151571
View attachment 151572
I contacted NMI and was told it might be a problem with the Nexus 7. The flash drive is working just fine and I've tried pretty much everything to get the flash drive to work with NMI. However, looking around, it sounds like this is a common problem so I'm not sure if it really is a problem and a reason to open a case on eBay.
Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what happened to your screenshots (I'm not seeing them in the Tapatalk app) but it's possible that there's something wrong with the N7. Mine worked fine with NMI and a USB-on-the-go cable and a HDD.

Do you have USB Debugging enabled?
Does the N7 think that it's connected to your computer? (PTP or MTP notification?)

jkglass

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what happened with the screenshots, they were working before. I've uploaded them on ImageShack. I can't post links so I'm going to try to add the screenshots again using the url:
vCUz15.jpg
k8I7z3.jpg
cjPJDH.jpg
And I tried the debugging thing too as well as the MTP and Camera settings, tried using 3 different cables, etc.. I talked to Google support and they had me try a whole bunch of stuff. The tablet doesn't recognize it's connected to the Mac's I have either. Nothing shows up on the Notification bar. I also ended up opening a return case and am talking to the seller so I actually wanted to close this thread but there's no way to do that. I don't know if this is fair to the seller?
Anyway, thank you very much for the reply!

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 and also use a Mac. What I've found is that the Mac doesn't always find the N7 without rebooting the tablet. It's spotty at best. Your N7 is probably ok. They just don't seem to cooperate well with Macs even with the Android File app. I have the same problem trying to get my Mac to recognize my new Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Thus far it hasn't recognized it once and it is a brand new unit.

If you have Parallels on either of your Macs download the necessary USB drivers and give that a try.

jkglass

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Okay, I will try Parallels. Do you know what these usb drivers are? Do you have a link? Sorry, I'm really not computer savvy. So it sounds like connecting to a Mac is an Android issue then? Ah, I wish they would advertise these as "most likely not able to work with Mac's". Don't know if they already do but I didn't see that anywhere when reading up on Android tablets. It sounded like "it probably will work". I definitely wouldn't have bothered buying one then. Though I do remember getting the Nook Tablet to work just fine on my Macs. Maybe it was because of the customized Android?

I'm actually thinking about contacting SquareTrade when I'm able to, it's still within the 30 day after purchase period. I bought an OTG cable from Monoprice which will hopefully arrive this week at the earliest. The N7 is supposed to at least be able to connect to a keyboard right? I still have issues connecting it to an OTG micro usb flash drive. If I'm still not able to connect just a simple keyboard via OTG, do you think there might be an issue with the tablet?
Thanks again!

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Neither of your Macs are detecting the Nexus 7 probably because the Adb driver has not been installed on the computer and you also need to enable USB Debugging option of your Nexus 7. Since I don't have any idea about using Mac so you may have to find out how to get Adb driver installer for Mac OS. Also try enabling the USB Debugging mode from your Nexus 7's Settings>Developer option (Point to be noted here is for android 4.3 and above the Developer option is hidden, so select about device>tap 7 times on the Build number to unlock the Developer option.). See if that works for you.

jkglass

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply Celestial Storm. Okay, I actually decided to trade in the Nexus 7. These Android tablets are becoming too much work for me as I'm really not tech savvy. But thank you everyone for all the replies and troubleshooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87