On my Nexus 7 2013, why am I getting a Black Screen?

jason_sa

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 2013 Wifi - Black Screen But The Nexus Is On (Not A Dead Battery)

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 Wifi model, running the latest Android Lollipop update (5.0.1) which was updated using the OTA from the links posted by AC, as the update takes forever to reach here (South Africa).

I'm experiencing the 'black' screen on my Nexus, where the screen is not coming on, even though the Nexus is up and running (I can hear notifications, hear the ping with I raise/lower the volume, it connects to my laptop, etc). However, the screen is not on. So I know it's not a battery drain and have tried the following procedures:

Held down the power button for between 20 seconds to a 1 minute with nothing happening.
Done the above while plugged in, performed immediately after plugging in, left it charging for 15 minutes to overnight, nothing worked.
Then I tried holding the power and volume down button for 30 seconds to as long as 2 minutes, while plugged in, etc.
I then took the back off, and unplugged the battery, left it for 30 seconds and plugged it back in, nothing happened.

The screen isn't cracked, and the device hasn't been dropped at all. I bought it in July this year and I'm sure it's still under warrenty, but I have some important notes and files (studying medicine) that I need to read over. I would prefer to try some methods suggested, so that I can fix it ASAP as opposed to sending it away for a number of days.

If anyone has some suggestions or customer services numbers I can call that will be able to assist in this manner, it would be appreciated. If any other information is needed, I will try provide it as best that I can. Thanks.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 2013 Wifi - Black Screen But The Nexus Is On (Not A Dead Battery)

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 Wifi model, running the latest Android Lollipop update (5.0.1) which was updated using the OTA from the links posted by AC, as the update takes forever to reach here (South Africa).

I'm experiencing the 'black' screen on my Nexus, where the screen is not coming on, even though the Nexus is up and running (I can hear notifications, hear the ping with I raise/lower the volume, it connects to my laptop, etc). However, the screen is not on. So I know it's not a battery drain and have tried the following procedures:

Held down the power button for between 20 seconds to a 1 minute with nothing happening.
Done the above while plugged in, performed immediately after plugging in, left it charging for 15 minutes to overnight, nothing worked.
Then I tried holding the power and volume down button for 30 seconds to as long as 2 minutes, while plugged in, etc.
I then took the back off, and unplugged the battery, left it for 30 seconds and plugged it back in, nothing happened.

The screen isn't cracked, and the device hasn't been dropped at all. I bought it in July this year and I'm sure it's still under warrenty, but I have some important notes and files (studying medicine) that I need to read over. I would prefer to try some methods suggested, so that I can fix it ASAP as opposed to sending it away for a number of days.

If anyone has some suggestions or customer services numbers I can call that will be able to assist in this manner, it would be appreciated. If any other information is needed, I will try provide it as best that I can. Thanks.

It may be that the screen's connection to the motherboard is damaged or simply out of place (as you can hear notifications and USB/Bluetooth work). Watch this video for clarification on how to fix it. Having watched it myself, and assuming that this will void your warranty, it would be a better idea to send it to get fixed. If it connects to your laptop, there may be a way to recover your notes, and use the laptop for the week or so until the Nexus will be shipped back.

jason_sa

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Nadav Erez for the quick response, would rather not play about with the back and void the warranty as it is still in play. Pulled the battery as that was a relatively easy thing to do, without messing up anything. The problem with getting the notes is that the device is password protected, so unless I enter the pattern correctly its not happening (which is a little difficult without seeing it). Will keep trying, and hopefully get it right. I might have the Trusted Places feature set on, so when I get back home will see if that works. Thanks for the help. If all else fails, send it in and get the notes from friends.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Nadav Erez for the quick response, would rather not play about with the back and void the warranty as it is still in play. Pulled the battery as that was a relatively easy thing to do, without messing up anything. The problem with getting the notes is that the device is password protected, so unless I enter the pattern correctly its not happening (which is a little difficult without seeing it). Will keep trying, and hopefully get it right. I might have the Trusted Places feature set on, so when I get back home will see if that works. Thanks for the help. If all else fails, send it in and get the notes from friends.

Happy to help, best of luck!