Battery life seems much poorer under 5.0.1

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
After never getting the 5.0 upgrade, I did get the 5.0.1 upgrade the other day and upgraded without incident.

I don’t really know what’s supposed to be different. So far I’ve only noticed a few things. For example, you slide up instead of sideways to unlock. And the battery life doesn’t report exactly how long you’ve been running on battery but instead shows a graph and a prediction of how much time is left. And the “back” indicator is less obvious than it used to be.

What I have noticed, though, is that the battery seems to drain much faster than it did with 4.4.4. It used to drain out (without much use) after 4 or 5 days. Now it drains out after just a day or so. So the battery seems to drain about 4 times faster than it used to.

Are other people experiencing the same thing?

This is the 32 GB wifi only model.

Also, after initial upgrade there was no intro at all to 5 - so I have no idea what’s new. What is new?

Thanks,

doug

colinps

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the battery draining as well. One post I read, said that it took several charging cycles to get it sorted out and then much better battery life. I'll see what happens after a week.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the battery draining as well. One post I read, said that it took several charging cycles to get it sorted out and then much better battery life. I'll see what happens after a week.

Hmm interesting, I also have noticed the battery life has gone down ever since lollipop. But I have not gone through more than 5x charges with it so hopefully it improves

Posted via Android Central App

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same model as you. The only difference is I did a wipeout and install of lollipop rather than upgrade directly from KitKat. I've been paying particular attention to battery life and I'm not seeing too much of a battery life drop in comparison to KitKat. Don't know if installing a clean 5.0.1 image rather than upgrading plays any role whatsoever with this battery life issue. Just wanted to comment that I'm not personally seeing anything noteworthy when it comes to drastic battery loss on my 32gb WiFi model.

After never getting the 5.0 upgrade, I did get the 5.0.1 upgrade the other day and upgraded without incident.

I don’t really know what’s supposed to be different. So far I’ve only noticed a few things. For example, you slide up instead of sideways to unlock. And the battery life doesn’t report exactly how long you’ve been running on battery but instead shows a graph and a prediction of how much time is left. And the “back” indicator is less obvious than it used to be.

What I have noticed, though, is that the battery seems to drain much faster than it did with 4.4.4. It used to drain out (without much use) after 4 or 5 days. Now it drains out after just a day or so. So the battery seems to drain about 4 times faster than it used to.

Are other people experiencing the same thing?

This is the 32 GB wifi only model.

Also, after initial upgrade there was no intro at all to 5 - so I have no idea what’s new. What is new?

Thanks,

doug

Last edited:

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed Lollipop clean after the OTA failed to install. My battery life is also improved with the new version. I don't know if that means the OTA has a problem or if it just seems to for some people. I never ever got 4 days on a charge, but I use my tablet daily.

For a full list of features go to the official android page.

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My battery life seems about the same (2013, 32G). No actual measurement as I've never had a problem.
We have people on both sides of this question--doesn't that mean the problem more likely lies with an app?

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
....We have people on both sides of this question--doesn't that mean the problem more likely lies with an app?
Some app(s) may be involved, but since a number of people report not having had battery problems with KitKat but suddenly having them with Lollipop, it seems likely that the problem was triggered by Lollipop, perhaps in its interaction with one or more apps.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I feel like a broken record, repeating this everywhere, but...

It has been my experience that doing an Android OS upgrade inevitably requires a cache partition clear and factory reset. Yes, that means any data stored on the device's internal storage goes away. So back it up, first. Yes, that means having to reinstall and reconfigure every add-on application you had. (And, yes, that's a real PITA.) But it's been my experience that failing to do the cache clear and factory reset, after an OS upgrade, results in all manner of aberrant behaviour.

Charge it up. Upgrade. Clear the cache partition and do a factory reset. Run it all the way down one time. Charge it all the way back up. Use. You'll probably be good to go.

Probably.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the opposite experience. After I upgraded to Kit Kat I began experiencing huge battery drain dropping 30% overnight while sleeping. And that was with all syncing turned off and every app Greenified that could be Greenified. But after upgrading to Lollipop the N7 only loses 4% in 24 hrs in sleep mode.

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As I commented, there are people including myself who are not having battery problems, in this very thread.
Don't ignore data to support your favorite theory.

Rupesh Kunwar

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I got my android 5.0.1 update on my nexus 4 yesterday and within an hour or so i noticed battery drain issue. It significantly dwindled down battery life and I have had to charge it 3rd time today after previous 100% charge that wend down to 20% within 3 hours of stand by and 60% charge that went down to 0 within couple of hours with very minimal use.

Would be good to know what i can do to fix this issue. thanks

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As I commented, there are people including myself who are not having battery problems, in this very thread.
Don't ignore data to support your favorite theory.

The difference appears to be the ones who have improved battery life are the ones who did a clean install. It could be there's something from KK that caused an interaction with the Lollipop OTA update vs a clean install. In that case, as others have suggested, a clearing of the cache partition and a factory reset may be in order.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The difference appears to be the ones who have improved battery life are the ones who did a clean install. It could be there's something from KK that caused an interaction with the Lollipop OTA update vs a clean install. In that case, as others have suggested, a clearing of the cache partition and a factory reset may be in order.

I agree. I did a fresh install (because I wasn't getting the OTA) and my battery life actually appears to be better.

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
All I did was the ota install, did not wipe the cache, no problems.
On the other hand, I only use it for a few specific things, and none of those are games.
Kindle, PlayerPro music, Firefox

jaytee

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I have many apps running on my tablet. I did a full update of all partitions with the new images after getting impatient waiting for the OTA. All is running very well and I have no battery issues with 5.0.1. It could easily be a problem with the standard OTA on systems with s reasonable number of apps.

P.S. My wife older 2012 N7 is running just dandy after the OTA with 5.0, but that tablet has very few apps on it and she only really uses it for email, Netflix (and Chromecast), web browsing, words with friends, and candy crush...

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Battery life seems better on mine. I did a cache partition wipe after the update, but no factory reset.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I thought at first that 5.0.2 improved battery life. But it’s down 60% since yesterday - not even one day - and almost no use at all. Just sitting there! This is unreasonably bad battery life.

doug

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought at first that 5.0.2 improved battery life. But it’s down 60% since yesterday - not even one day - and almost no use at all. Just sitting there! This is unreasonably bad battery life.

doug

Battery life almost always takes a hit right after an update. It usually takes a few days to settle out. I'd see where you are in a week after a few power cycles and charges.

Tereza49

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. I have noticed that my wifi connection seems to be always on, even though I have set the tablet to never connect during sleep and the scanning for google's location service and other apps scan for networks is off. Every time I get the tablet out of sleep mode the battery is drained and the wifi is on. How can I stop this? I am sure this is what is draining the battery so fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084