New Nexus 7 — how do I get Lollipop?

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been an iPhone/iPad user since those products were announced, except for a brief and horrible period where my work made me use Verizon and I got stuck with a Motorola Droid. Android 2.0's awfulness left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I've been very impressed with the look of what Google has done with Material Design and Lollipop, so I decided to pick up a Nexus 7 (2013) to compliment my iOS hardware and see how far things have advanced since January 2010.

I got the 7 because the 9 is too big (big tablets are almost as bad as big phones... I hate the ginormousness of my iPhone 6). I knew it would ship with Kit Kat, but that it was also one of the devices Google had updated to Lollipop. But it's not offered as an option in the Settings application. As Lollipop has been out for months now, I'm stunned that Google still hasn't made the update generally available. That seems so... wrong. Like Microsoft only releasing a new Windows version in certain states. "Sorry, you're in Kansas, you'll have to wait until we're done selling Windows 10 to the folks in Texas before we get to you."

Is there any way to force the upgrade to become available? I have zero interest in using Kit Kat, and would hate to have my new toy sitting idle for days, weeks, or more, waiting for a software update that everyone should have access to by now.

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
There might be a Beta or leaked ROM for it. If I can find a leaked ROM within the next day or so I will post the link. It would still be better if you waited for it. And check for software updates and there might be something in there. I hope this helps you a bit.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Alas, aside from this device I only use Apple products.

I was checking the software update app every 30 minutes last night, to no avail.

Thanks for the replies!

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to force the upgrade to become available? I have zero interest in using Kit Kat, and would hate to have my new toy sitting idle for days, weeks, or more, waiting for a software update that everyone should have access to by now.
Have you read the postings on this forum about the problems many people have experienced with Lollipop? Though some people have been happy with it, many others have reported problems, some making their device unusable. I don't know what you have against KitKat. I'm very thankful that I didn't "upgrade" my Nexus 7 (2013) to Lollipop when I had the chance--KitKat has been working fine for me. My guess is that the number of problems people have encountered prompted Google to stop offering Lollipop until the problems have been fixed. A number of us received notification a while ago to install 5.0.1, but a few days later, it was no longer available. I've rarely been so happy to be a procrastinator!

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
So, hunting around this website helped me figure out how to upgrade manually. After downloading Java onto my Mac (twice), I was able to pull of the Unix commands needed to reboot, unlock, and upgrade my Nexus 7 without a hitch. Lollipop seems up and running just fine... though I've still got the old, ugly black app drawer and not the nice, white one shown in the Lollipop marketing materials. Alas.

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
You need to download the Google Now launcher from the Play Store, this will give you what you are looking for in the app drawer. Or you can download a 3rd party launcher for even more flexibility (I personally use Nova Launcher).

Posted via Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Have you read the postings on this forum about the problems many people have experienced with Lollipop? Though some people have been happy with it, many others have reported problems, some making their device unusable. I don't know what you have against KitKat. I'm very thankful that I didn't "upgrade" my Nexus 7 (2013) to Lollipop when I had the chance--KitKat has been working fine for me. My guess is that the number of problems people have encountered prompted Google to stop offering Lollipop until the problems have been fixed. A number of us received notification a while ago to install 5.0.1, but a few days later, it was no longer available. I've rarely been so happy to be a procrastinator!

I agree 100% with this and the same exact thing happened to me, but I am also surprised that the update has not resurfaced on my tablet yet. I would like to see it just to no that the system is "working" and I have a nexus ;)

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
New OS and other software upgrades always come with teething problems. Some simple, some serious. That's why I'm glad I'm not one of the 'early adopters'. You ought to be too, OP. Let others fight with the problems (and solve them). When the major kinks are out I will gladly upgrade. But not before.
You haven't got a choice anyway. Your telco decides when you get Lollipop pushed to your device. Not you.

The op will be one of those brave souls to fight and solve the teething problems for us. :)

FireChrome

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Just so you know, I just gotten the Lolipop update like 4-5 days ago. I was just sitting there reading and then, a notification appeared. I waited for the whole time XD

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it's important that those of us posting about "Lollipop" say what version they're talking about. FireChrome, I suspect that if you got the update notification 4-5 days ago, it was for 5.0.2, whereas all the other messages in this thread are probably referring to 5.0 or 5.0.1. It seems that 5.0.2 has fewer problems than the earlier ones, but a number of people are still reporting bad experiences. I hope you and others will post your findings, good as well as bad, so cautious/cowardly users like me will have more data on which to base a decision about whether to upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol