Downgrading from Lollipop to KitKat (assistance required)

gtxtitanblacksc

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Nexus 7 2013 (non LTE) that is running Lollipop 5.0.1 and was wondering how I could go about downgrading back to KitKat 4.4.4? The reasons for downgrading are as follows. Ever since I upgraded to Lollipop my battery life has worsened considerably. I used to be able to get 8-9 hours of mild use (surfing the web and reading books) at 80% brightness, WIFI on, Bluetooth off) but now I barely get 5 hours if I am lucky. In addition it takes three times as long to charge my tablet compared to before. I have tried switching cables and chargers but the issue still persists. Another reason for downgrading is that I absolutely hate the new lock screen. I am so used to swiping to the right, but with the new Lollipop update I have to swipe upwards or else it actives the camera. The new lock screen is pretty annoying and bothers the heck out of me. It's worth mentioning that I have tried resetting my tablet back to factory defaults and as well as clearing the cache but I am still experiencing bad battery life and slow charge times. Google provides some instructions on their website*** on flashing factory images but I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried flashing their Nexus 7 2013 using Google's method and if it actually worked? More specifically, flashing a Nexus 7 2013 running Lollipop 5.0.1 with a KitKat 4.4.4 factory image? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

*** I have less than ten posts so I am refrained from posting any links. Google's page for flashing factory images is developers (dot) google (dot) com/android/nexus/images

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but that's the normal way of changing the ROM in any Android phone - flashing the one you want. (How you do it differs by manufacturer, but you do the same thing in the end.)

gtxtitanblacksc

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but that's the normal way of changing the ROM in any Android phone - flashing the one you want. (How you do it differs by manufacturer, but you do the same thing in the end.)

Thanks for the fast reply! If that is the normal way how come I always hear of people rooting their tablets in order to install new updates? Thanks!

Last edited:

gtxtitanblacksc

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to provide an update on the current situation. I was successfully able to downgrade my Nexus 7 2013 from Lollipop 5.0.1 to KitKat 4.4.4. I could not get the flashing procedure to start using Google's method probably due to them not providing the proper ADP tool. I used Androidpit's method instead and got my Nexus 7 to flash on the first try. Here is the link to their page if anyone is ever interested. Hope this helps.

www (dot) androidpit (dot) com/how-to-downgrade-a-nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX