Sound drop out

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Since Lollipop I've been having really annoying sound loss, sometimes completely and often just a seconds drop out.
It happens with all sound apps Google Play, Amazon and when connected to a Sandisk through Nexus Media Importer.
The app's music track progress bar freezes, hitting pause and going back to play makes no difference
Whether I'm connected to my bluetooth Sony SRSX5R speaker or just from the tablet.
I've been through all the settings I can find, turned off notifications and uninstalled battery saving app.
After spending dosh on the Sony speaker it's really infuriating :(
Anyone else having similar or am I being a numpty and not got my settings right?

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B.D - I checked out the link and the system cache partition procedure looks pretty torturous!
Is it safe and what if you **** up along the way?
I have Clean Master app so I've run that as it reckons it does the same thing, will report back if / if not it works.
NeilC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The procedure isn't too bad--I tried to make those steps very clear. The only way you could mess up is if you lost power during the process (which only takes about 5-10 seconds, so it's highly unlikely) or if you accidentally chose "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" instead of "Wipe Cache Partition" (although you would be have to go through a few different prompts to confirm you actually wanted to do the factory reset).

Clearing the system cache partition is different than clearing app caches, which is what Clean Master would do. The system cache holds temporary system data, and is normally not accessible by apps like that. It's worth trying.

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B.Diddy - been away hence late response. I have tried clearing the system cache but no joy there I'm afraid.
Sometimes the music files play all day but, more often than not, whatever app is playing it stops, it just freezes.
The display shows the progress bar stopped if I then press pause, then play nothing happens until I reboot.
The odd thing is it happens with ALL music apps - Amazon (cloud & device), Nexus Media Importer & Google Play.
When it is playing the sound drops out for a fraction of a second which is annoying as having no music at all!
Can you suggest anything else?
If all fails and I have to have the tablet replaced (still in warranty) is there a way of cloning the old one?
Thanks in advance, NeilC

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying B.Diddy - been away.
I've tried wiping the system cache as you suggested but the problem remains.
Do you have any other suggestions please?
The tablet is still in warranty and if I replace it is it possible to clone the old one?
Thanks in advance, NeilC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are the music files stored locally or streaming from the web? What format are the music files in? See what happens if you delete the music files on the tablet, and then copy them over again from the computer (if that's how you got them there in the first place).

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
All files are 320kbps Mp3 files, some are stored in the tablet, some are streamed from Amazon but the vast majority are on a Sandisk Cruzer plugged into the tablet and played via Nexus Media Importer.
How do I remove the onboard music files? I've been into settings / storage / audio where I have nearly 5 GB's music but can't see the delete option.
I'd like to free up all that space and just play music via Nexus Media.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use a file manager app and look in the Music folder. Or connect the phone to your computer via USB and use Windows Explorer to look for the music.

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
OK I've completely removed all music files from the tablet.
I'm now using only Nexus Media Importer to play Mp3's and guess what? Exactly the same problem!
I've tried hard wiring the tablet to the Sony Sony SRSX5R and that fixes the fraction of a second dropout.
Today when I first fired up the tablet the music played for about 2 minutes, I rebooted and it played for 1 1/2 hours.
I put the tablet into standby over lunch then it worked for 30 seconds, on reboot it played for an hour before I turned it off.
I can't believe that an app created by Google would be so buggy, do I have any comeback with them if this problem can't be solved?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a good answer for you, sorry. Nexus Media Importer is a 3rd party app, and I'm not entirely surprised by issues that might occur when trying to play mp3 files directly from a USB drive. Is it crucial that you have the music locally? I'd suggest uploading your entire music library to your Google Play Music cloud and access it from there. You can always download selected albums for offline listening.

Neil Cooper1

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B.D I refer you back to my first post in which I said "it happens with all sound apps Google Play, Amazon and when connected to a Sandisk through Nexus Media Importer" this applies to files stored on the tablet, from Amazon Cloud and via USB.
I tried the usb via bluetooth on my wife's laptop it performed faultlessly.
I've now loaded all music onto her laptop, the whole idea of having via the Nexus 7 was so that we didn't have to take a laptop on our forthcoming 2 month trip.
I'll look into the Google Play cloud option - does it cost and how many gigs can you upload?
Regards, NeilC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B.D I refer you back to my first post in which I said "it happens with all sound apps Google Play, Amazon and when connected to a Sandisk through Nexus Media Importer" this applies to files stored on the tablet, from Amazon Cloud and via USB.

Aw darn it, I was focusing so much on the whole USB thing. Try booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the music plays normally using Google Play Music. This will tell us if some 3rd party app you installed might be causing the interference. https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

Google Play Music in the cloud is simply awesome, in my opinion. As Darth Spock mentioned, you can store up to 20,000 songs free, and access them anywhere that you're logged into your Google account and have a decent web connection. My entire library of music (which is around 70 GB, I think) is in there, and that's only about 7000 songs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you demonstrate the problem to the retailer, maybe they'd be willing. But they might also tell you to send it in to Asus for repair or a replacement (and Asus doesn't have a great reputation for service).

You can backup the device using Helium, then restore it to another device.

sage_creeker

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem after upgrading Verizon Galaxy S5 to the Lollipop OS last evening: Clearly, this is a problem with the operating system upgrade, not the device itself. It is seen in the Google Play Music app playing files local to the device, as well as in streaming players such as Milk. Adjusting the volume to a high level temporarily resolves the problem. I've cleared the cache too, but it didn't help. I appreciate any assistance you may be able to offer.