How's 5.0.2 running?

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Installed the full version last week using the Nexus Root Toolkit (without data wipe) and so far has been running fine (N7 2013). Haven't noticed any differences from 5.0.1 yet.

Lupelamenta

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
My problem with 5.0.1 was that my Nexus wouldn't stay on my wi-fi network and reported "authentication" error; or "saved" and without warning might reconnect for seconds our hours or not at all. I thought 5.0.2 might address it; it is better. There are fewer network dropouts with 5.0.2 but they're still happening, just less frequently. I'm sorry I ever updated. My Nexus was working flawlessly until lollipop.

Aug_GQ

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm hesitant to update my n7 2013 from 5.0.1. LP has completely destroyed battery life since I updated. I hope this update fixes it.... Anyone else experience this?

MartialText

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Installed OTA from 4.4.4. a few days ago. Haven't noticed any issues. Did not notice major design changes, as I was running Google launcher prior to the update, and launcher had already incorporated most of the design changes.

Overall, thumbs up.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Got it last night and installed it. I was getting ready for bed so I didn't really use my tablet after the upgrade though. I hope I get it for my Nexus 5 soon since I use that more.

Posted via the Android Central App

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies about your 5.0.2 experiences. Since it looks like a mixed bag, I think for now I'll just stick with 4.4.4 KitKat on my N7 2013. I did get 5.0.2 installed on my 1st Gen N7 and that's been an improvement over 5.0 but it still freezes from time to time when multitasking and on Chrome.

leonard land

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Same here, ET. I'll stick with 4 for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't see any great reviews for the 5's, but I do see some bad ones - reduced battery life, etc.

PPP mcleod2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Had the new version for a few days now. All seems to be fine with no apparent negative impacts to battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Same here, ET. I'll stick with 4 for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't see any great reviews for the 5's, but I do see some bad ones - reduced battery life, etc.

That's the rub, when it isn't broken, people don't report it. But when it doesn't work they're very vocal. Same with devices themselves, if you were to go into the forums, the number of negatives always outweighs the positives. And that happens with any device by any manufacturer. Because if it's working for you, you're not going to be as likely to post about it, you just use it.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That's the rub, when it isn't broken, people don't report it. But when it doesn't work they're very vocal. Same with devices themselves, if you were to go into the forums, the number of negatives always outweighs the positives. And that happens with any device by any manufacturer. Because if it's working for you, you're not going to be as likely to post about it, you just use it.

Well said.

Posted via Android Central App

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

What you say is very true. A number of years ago when I was a Droid X user, I took an OS update and had very few problems with it on my device. Others were having all kinds of bugs and were vocal about it in the forums. As information to others, I posted that my phone was working great and I was chastised by others for not adding anything constructive to the thread.

I started this thread because I had first hand experience with 5.0 and 5.0.2 on a N7 2012 and these updates have not gone well at all on that device. So I bought a new N7 2013 which is running great on 4.4.4. I was notified that 5.0.2 was ready to be installed on my new N7 but because of my own experience on my older device, along with blogs I've read about a memory leak issue that Google is working on a fix for, I'd rather stick with KitKat for the time being.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What you say is very true. A number of years ago when I was a Droid X user, I took an OS update and had very few problems with it on my device. Others were having all kinds of bugs and were vocal about it in the forums. As information to others, I posted that my phone was working great and I was chastised by others for not adding anything constructive to the thread.

I started this thread because I had first hand experience with 5.0 and 5.0.2 on a N7 2012 and these updates have not gone well at all on that device. So I bought a new N7 2013 which is running great on 4.4.4. I was notified that 5.0.2 was ready to be installed on my new N7 but because of my own experience on my older device, along with blogs I've read about a memory leak issue that Google is working on a fix for, I'd rather stick with KitKat for the time being.

I've run into that as well, but from the other side of the table. It's one of the reasons why I left Samsung after one device. I had plenty of issues with my Galaxy S3, but when looking for help, I was met with claims of trying to make it look worse than it was. I'm not going there to undermine Samsung's reputation or dissuade people from using them, I'm going there to solve my issues. More often than not, the fanatics are the ones who push or keep people away from a certain brand.

Now I'm not trying to say that you don't have cause for concern, far from it. I was merely saying that not seeing glowing reviews about anything doesn't mean they aren't there, but that people speak louder and more often when there's a problem. A squeaky wheel always gets more attention than a quiet one. Which also proves the importance of lubricant. ;-)

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading this thread (and others) with great interest as I try to decide whether to move from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. I've been heartened by the number of people reporting that all is well, but I've also been concerned that there are still a number of folks who report substantial problems. I depend on my tablet and would hate to be one whose tablet gets bricked by 5.0.2. I'd feel more motivated to upgrade if I were having problems with 4.4.4, but (knock on wood) that's not the case. So, without a compelling reason to upgrade, I'm thinking it makes more sense for me to stay with 4.4.4.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading this thread (and others) with great interest as I try to decide whether to move from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. I've been heartened by the number of people reporting that all is well, but I've also been concerned that there are still a number of folks who report substantial problems. I depend on my tablet and would hate to be one whose tablet gets bricked by 5.0.2. I'd feel more motivated to upgrade if I were having problems with 4.4.4, but (knock on wood) that's not the case. So, without a compelling reason to upgrade, I'm thinking it makes more sense for me to stay with 4.4.4.

Well stated...pretty much the way I feel too. I am encouraged as well that quite a few aren't seeing any issues with 5.0.2. But I'll probably skip it and upgrade whenever 5.0.3 or 5.1 (or whatever it's named) is released.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I haven't upgraded yet either. Just can't bring myself to do it for the same reasons that you mentioned.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well stated...pretty much the way I feel too. I am encouraged as well that quite a few aren't seeing any issues with 5.0.2. But I'll probably skip it and upgrade whenever 5.0.3 or 5.1 (or whatever it's named) is released.

Not to try to push you to update at this point, but how is the situation with the update for 5.0.3 or 5.1 going to be any different? Every time an update comes out, there's always a chance of issues. Even when most all have no issues, there are still some that do.

Again not saying you should update, but just trying to understand how there will be any less risk in any future updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez