Nexus 7 LTE: Quick 4.4 to 5.02 Upgrade Questions

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Had a couple warranty issues that Asus repaired, basically swapping out the entire motherboard and USB port. At that time, I was just switching over to the Nexus 6, so I didn't have a need or reason to use the Nexus 7.

I also wanted to wait until the upgrade to Lollipop was released (5.02), before I reset everything up again.

I'd like to boot it up this weekend, after not using it for 3-4 months.

Question:

I may or may not upgrade to Lollipop right away. If I upgrade to Lollipop, is there any reason why I couldn't download the 4.4 Google stock image and flash back to KitKat via ADB or Fastboot?

Also, if I want to delay or deny the update to 5.02, is there a system file I can freeze via Titanium Backup?

I don't have anything against KitKat and love it on my Nexus 6, but at the same time, I have heard mixed reviews on the battery life of the Nexus 7 after the update. I also like having access to Xposed mods. Though there has been some development for Xposed on Lollipop, it isn't complete.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to boot it up this weekend, after not using it for 3-4 months.
Then condition the battery. All other things aside for the moment, charge it to 100%, leave it on the charger for another hour, then unplug it. Don't charge it again until it tells you to. Repeat twice more. (3 complete charges, 3 "down to the notice to charge" discharges.) Then charge as needed. (Try not to let it gt below 40% [other than when conditioning it] for longest life.)

I may or may not upgrade to Lollipop right away. If I upgrade to Lollipop, is there any reason why I couldn't download the 4.4 Google stock image and flash back to KitKat via ADB or Fastboot?
Maybe. I don't know the particular device, but some can't be "downdated" past a major version. So 5.0.2 to 5.0.1, yes. 5.0.2 to 4.anything, no. Some devices. Check with the devs at XDA Forums (in the Nexus 7 forum) if you want someone who can try it and see. (Some of these guys can get a hard brick working again in 5 minutes, so if they have the time to try it, they're not worried about what will happen..)

Also, if I want to delay or deny the update to 5.02, is there a system file I can freeze via Titanium Backup?
If you're running TB, you're probably rooted. (If you aren't, you can't freeze a system app.) Rooting will stop the update at the "root check" stage. It sees that the device is rooted, gives you a "failed" notice and quits. (Or it should. There are things you can do when rooted that would cause an update to brick the device.) You'd actually have to flash the stock ROM (to remove all signs of rooting) to update.

I don't have anything against KitKat and love it on my Nexus 6, but at the same time, I have heard mixed reviews on the battery life of the Nexus 7 after the update.
Not clearing the system cache costs a lot of battery for a few days. Some devices even have to be factory reset (it depends on how the updated ROM is written).

I also like having access to Xposed mods. Though there has been some development for Xposed on Lollipop, it isn't complete.
Google built it (LolliFlop) so they (the modules) will come. Or something like that.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I let my Nexus 7 (2013, not LTE) upgrade to 5.01, and I hated it. I'm not an Android techie, but I was able to follow some directions I found and restored it to KitKat. I don't know whether there is a different image for the LTE version, so you might want to check for that. It sounds like you may know this process well, but for any others here's my post with my description of the process and some links: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-5-0-lollipop/470779-android-5-1-a.html#post4117541

I've just been ignoring the notification for the 5.02 upgrade, but just ran across this post with a way to disable that notification: http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...tkat-2-many-fails-lollipop-3.html#post4267350

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
There is no such thing as "conditioning" a lithium ion battery, such as are in phones and tablets. While following that advice isn't harmful, it is of absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Just use the battery however you want, and charge it whenever is convenient. Charging it until it is full, discharging it until you get a warning, and/or not letting is get below 40% have no effects on battery life at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay