Does the 5.1 update brick the device?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I am currently running on 5.0.2. I was thinking of updating my Nexus 7 to Android 5.1, but I am reading some comments that the update bricks the device. I am scared now. What happens if I don't update it? Will it happen automatically when I connect to Wi-Fi, even if I don't want it to? Also, if a newer version of Android comes out ( 5.2 for example), and I decide to update to it that time, will it first go through the 5.1 update, or it will directly update to 5.2 ? Thank you.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Bricks are rare and basically un heard of on a Nexus device and usually is the result of a hardware failure w/ Nexus.

I've updated my Nexus 7 (2012) with no issues as have many others.

To answer your last question, yes updates usually have to be done in sequence unless you manually flash an update via the bootloader and factory images provided by Google.

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running on 5.0.2. I was thinking of updating my Nexus 7 to Android 5.1, but I am reading some comments that the update bricks the device. I am scared now. What happens if I don't update it? Will it happen automatically when I connect to Wi-Fi, even if I don't want it to? Also, if a newer version of Android comes out ( 5.2 for example), and I decide to update to it that time, will it first go through the 5.1 update, or it will directly update to 5.2 ? Thank you.
The thought is that the 5.0.2 update is what eventually kills the nexus 7 2013, but nothing solid is confirmed. If I were you, I'd update and take my chances or downgrade to 4.4.4. Either way, there's not enough data on the bricking to know.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I updated as soon as the OTA was available. My N7 2013 was rebooting constantly on 5.0.2. I did the manual update and did have 2 reboots since Friday, but the tablet actually booted back up, instead of getting stuck on the Google screen or going into a boot loop. So, I am not declaring victory, b/c I am not convinced it's all software, but, so far so good.