No Nexus 7 upgrade to Android M

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Android M details the end of Nexus device support - SlashGear

Security updates aside, I'm not really surprised that Lollipop is the last official OS upgrade to the Nexus 7 based on the age of the device and the processor in it and the fact that they are no longer selling it, but I still think this new strategy with Google will hurt them in the long run. I mean, the Nexus devices were notorious for always receiving the latest O.S and, in my opinion, they didn't exactly hit it out of the park with the Nexus 9 ( which also won't be upgraded), so could this be a further sign that they aren't as invested in the overall Nexus line as they used to be, while surprisingly Apple, based on reports, could be doing the reverse and moving to go back to support older devices like with their iPad 2 and iphone 4s using a special future version of ios9.

In short, Google is trying a new Apple phase out support strategy for their older products while Apple is trying a Nexus like O.S support approach to their older hardware.

Thoughts?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That article seems to indicate it'll get M. They also have a math issue, Nexus 6 & 9 would be 2016 - meaning that they pick up M and whatever Google does in 2016 (N or M.2, whatever).

Here's what the chart looks like with corrected dates/interpretation - keeping in mind that the entire thing was fabricated by Android Police:

2012 Devices: Security Updates End in 2015
Nexus 4: EOL Lollipop
Nexus 7 2012: EOL Lollipop
Nexus 10: EOL Lollipop

2013 Devices: Security Updates End in 2016
Nexus 7 2013: EOL Marshmallow
Nexus 5: EOL Marshmallow

2014 Devices: Security Updates End in 2017
Nexus 6: EOL Nerds
Nexus 9: EOL Nerds

2015 Devices: Security Updates End in 2018
TBD Phone: EOL Oatmeal Cookie
TBD Tablet: EOL Oatmeal Cookie

Or something like that. But one critical comment on Nexus EOL - If you have a Nexus and can't figure out how to update to a new OS that your carrier or Google didn't release for your phone, please turn in your Nexus. There are Galaxy Nexus devices running Lollipop 5.1.1 and that device never officially got Kit Kat 4.4.

svtalex

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Yep android M will be the last update for the 2013 Nexus 7. So I think we did pretty good. So I might get a nexus 9 or maybe wait and see what they do this year

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep android M will be the last update for the 2013 Nexus 7. So I think we did pretty good. So I might get a nexus 9 or maybe wait and see what they do this year

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, JB to KK, to LP to MM is a good run.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Playing with software longevity, it seems that the Nexus 7 2012 was the longest running Nexus device in terms of major upgrades. Second place was a tie between the 2013 Nexus 7 and the Nexus 4. All except the Nexus One have seen at least two major updates, and the current trend is to start on A and receive B, C & D. If they shorten that to B & C though, not sure we have a lot of room to complain as that is still covering you through 3 full years worth of current bleeding edge software.

Nexus%2BUpdate%2BTimeline.png