Replacing iPad Mini

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my iPad mini and the screen cracked so I'm looking to replace it.

I am a preacher and mostly use the tablet for meeting notes, some over head projecting (during meetings), a bible app for bible study and I preach from my sermons located on Google drive. I need something with little to no lag and that won't lock up in the middle of bible study/preaching and I need about 6 or 7 hours of battery time in the event I preach 3 times on a Sunday.

I would also like to add about 7 email address (between mine and the churches) along with contact's and sync's to 2 Calendars. I use Evernotes and like to do voice dictation (just my thoughts) and every now and then I may record another preacher's sermon (never mine). I would also like it to seamlessly connect to my Windows 8 machine for file transfers...

Any reason I should need anything newer than a Nexus 7?

Can someone recommend another economical tablet that might do well at the job?

If I go with the Nexus 7, should I upgrade it to Lollipop or will that slow it down (cause other problems)?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 is good, NVIDIA Shield is better. Honestly your use case is pretty close to the pitch for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro series. But for 99% of people my opinion is that the NVIDIA shield tablet is the best purchase available - I'd recommend checking out the Shield and the Note Pro series.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I'll do just that but let me add that I would like to keep it about iPad mini size (7.9 I think). I don't like carrying large devices...

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 7 is good, NVIDIA Shield is better. Honestly your use case is pretty close to the pitch for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro series. But for 99% of people my opinion is that the NVIDIA shield tablet is the best purchase available - I'd recommend checking out the Shield and the Note Pro series.

Love the spec's but a bit over my budget. I'd like to keep it around $150 if possible...

Saeed Okoroji

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Then Nexus 7 it is. I have mine on 5.1. 1 lollipop and performance is great. But there have been 2 rare instances where the tablet rebooted itself. You can also look into an HP Stream if Google drive is your driver software. But I'm not sure abt battery life.

Are u saying is more than $150 to fix an ipad mini screen?

Last edited:

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Then Nexus 7 it is. I have mine on 5.1. 1 lollipop and performance is great. But there have been 2 rare instances where the tablet rebooted itself. You can also look into an HP Stream if Google drive is your driver software. But I'm not sure abt battery life.

Are u saying is more than $150 to fix an ipad mini screen?

Can't remember but I think they wanted $200 for the exchange but I do remember thinking I'd do better going with better screen resolution if I was going to pay that amount... I was also getting tired of the mini being single threaded. Can't really run apps in the background. Whenever I switch from one app to another, it refreshes the app that just became active. So if I'm putting notes in a bible verse for instance, and need to google some info, I return to the bible and it refreshes so I lose my place.

It also may refresh sometimes in the middle of bible study or a sermon if I forget to turn off the screen lock.

I am hoping Android doesn't have this problem??? I understand it's multi threaded and I can get a 2nd generation Nexus 7 for about $150 which I'm hoping has better screen resolution and good battery life...

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it was $200...

Out-of-warranty* cost:
iPad mini: $199
iPad, iPad 2, iPad mini 2: $249
iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad mini 3: $299
iPad Air 2: $379

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You may want to check with some other shops on glass replacement. I've done replacements on full size iPads for $100. I haven't priced the replacement glass on the mini, but if the quoted prices are Apple's, I would be money that another shop would do it cheaper.

That said, the Nexus 7 would probably meet your needs.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
As another example, I was about to check this site for updates so I grabbed my iPad sitting by me and when I made the browser active it refreshed and went back to the homepage... That refresh thing it does is very irritating because you lose your place...

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever considered a Microsoft Surface ($$$$) or a Dell Venue 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet ($$). They make tablets galore now that run Windows 8.1 as the native operating system. Some include Office for free as well. They work like a mini laptop. You can have as many apps open as you like (windows really) just like on a laptop. They have mini HDMI jacks and touch screens and USB ports and SD card slots for external storage, and do bluetooth for external keyboards and so on. Check it out. $250 buys a lot of tablet in the Windows 8.1 marketplace.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Have you ever considered a Microsoft Surface ($$$$) or a Dell Venue 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet ($$). They make tablets galore now that run Windows 8.1 as the native operating system. Some include Office for free as well. They work like a mini laptop. You can have as many apps open as you like (windows really) just like on a laptop. They have mini HDMI jacks and touch screens and USB ports and SD card slots for external storage, and do bluetooth for external keyboards and so on. Check it out. $250 buys a lot of tablet in the Windows 8.1 marketplace.

Being honest, I never considered a Windows tablet. Don't know why, just never gave it any thought.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if the iPad met all your needs and didn't leave you wanting, I wouldn't go to a Windows tablet. The interface needs a lot more polish, and the app store a LOT more apps to be a competitive option compared to an iPad. Windows tablets have a place, but they serve different purposes than an iPad for the most part.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I pulled the trigger on a Nexus 7 but thanks for the 411. I figured an older tablet would work for me but I wanted good screen resolution. These old eyes don't see like they used to ROFL

I looked at the other tablets and they're more like desktop/gaming machines. Most i'll have open is my bible, Web browser and maybe the notepad.

The one thing I didn't like about the iPad is that it always refreshed when I make a window active. So if I make the browser active, it refreshes and goes back to the home page.

Hard to copy and paste back and forth with everything refreshing...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad