Why Root a Nexus 7?

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Why Root a Nexus 7

Hello,

I am new to Android. I just got a Nexus 7 2013 this Saturday which is my first Android device. I see where many suggest rooting your device to "give you more control"? What "more control" exactly do you gain? Is there a place I can look into the gains so I can weigh the risk to the reward?

Also, I see many methods being mentioned like tool kit etc...? A newbie like me have no idea what that means much less which method is more ***** proof. Is there a place that reviews the different methods or can someone suggest a good place to start (rooting for dummies)?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why Root a Nexus 7

If you don't have a specific reason for rooting or don't have at least an idea of what you're doing, I'd suggest not to root. On Nexus devices it's pretty easy to fix it if you bricked in the rooting process, but it's still a possible headache. In general, it just gives apps elevated permissions. Some features aren't allowed by Android or OEMs, so root access is necessary to activate/disable them. As far as learning about it, I'd watch some videos on YouTube since they tend to be a lot easier to follow than long posts with words you may not be familiar with

jbrantley130

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

If you want to learn the in's and outs of rooting I suggest you visit the XDA developers forums and specifically the nexus 7 2013 sub-forums.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for replies, you say "some features", can someone give an example?

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for replies, you say "some features", can someone give an example?

Posted via the Android Central App
One feature that requires root is adblock in Chrome.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Ok, I rooted my Nexus 7 without realizing it would wipe it out when I unlocked the boootloader which made backing it up a moot point. But anyway, thanks to milliman who sent me to Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5 | WugFresh my Nexus 7 is now rooted.

How do I get to the additional settings? I don't see anything different in the normal settings and the process had me install busy box which from my Linux experience tells me I now have a bunch of new tools. Any instructions on getting to the tools and what to do with them? Any standard things I want to do after root?

I plan to play with some of the stuff in the links posted but I have to unroot this one and return it to the seller so was just wonder if there was a quick, "wow" that will make all this worth doing...