Why can't I get my BT internet mail to sync on Nexus 2013 update 5.1.1?

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I cannot get my BT internet mail to sync on Nexus 2013 update 5.1.1

I am trying to get my BTinternet mail through on Nexus 7 2013 subsequent to an update on which stated that it was ‘merging email’ and after which the battery was suddenly draining very fast. Then there was another update that didn’t cure the problem. . Now on update 5.1.1
I concluded that it was the email that was causing the battery drain so I took (only the email) back to factory settings. I was right the problem went and so did my email.

BUT now having re-established gmail (which it seems I cannot avoid having and never use because I don’t want two addresses) I cannot get my btinternet mail to sync although the tablet recognises the address which I re-established filling in the slots as requested by the tablet and there it is in the merged Gmail portal/slot saying waiting for sync (for ever) showing a streaking line with caption 'getting your messages' which it isn't!!! ‘Factory settings’ evidently doesn’t mean as it was when I first had the tablet! Gmail is working….but not getting my btinternet messages. Yahoo is getting my BT messages…but it is too much of a pain of a site to use.
Is Google trying to force everyone to use Gmail???

Where it says HELP, it tells you to turn sync on and off several times …For hours I looked for sync And eventually found it in ‘accounts’ (3 dashes) which is not listing any email at all. Why on earth do they hide something so important?

Maybe that isn’t the right sync? But I cannot find any other. PLEASE if anyone actually has enough up-to-date intimate knowledge to understand what I can be doing wrong I would be so grateful. Lot of the answers one is pointed to are not current.
I have seen the Utube one that has satisfied many people but sync on my tablet is not currently like that.

Thanks, Julia

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: I cannot get my BT internet mail to sync on Nexus 2013 update 5.1.1

Can you clarify--are you using the stock Email app or the Gmail app to try to access your BT email?

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I still have icons for Email and Gmail separately on my screen but both lead to the same place, effectively the Gmail app. which now has two sections so you can click on your btinternet address and see as described above...it not syncing. You can switch from one to the other Gmail working (with my gmail address), and btinternet doing what I described....a big nothing!
It looks like have just missed some tiny detail...but what?
I have been hours on this. I was so pleased with this tablet, but without being able to access my email it is...well...not useless, but almost.
Any ideas? Thanks, Julia

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh right--I should've known that. I never use the stock Email app so I had forgotten that on the Nexus 7, it directs you to Gmail now.

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Gmail, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. If that doesn't help, then try removing your Google account completely from the tablet in Settings>Accounts​, then adding it back again.

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

WOW! WOW!..I think you done it. My God...I can only say that was MAGIC. Thank you. It wasn't quite the way you described it but I did the nearest thing to what you said in desperation...thinking what is there to lose!
Mind you it all looks totally different again. I can't face looking at it more as it is late and I haven't the strength to face any more problems ...but I can see familiar stuff there.
It has taken me HOURS! Let us hope it doesn't drain the battery as it was doing (from 100% to about 20% overnight). THANK YOU!!!!! I am only a civilian and I have no idea about cache etc. BUT I had turned over every tiny item on 'setting' menu.... Google should take into consideration that we are not all IT experts,
THANK YOU again! Julia

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Great! What seemed to work--clearing cache/data from the Gmail app?

I hope the problem doesn't recur, but if it does, just come on back, and we'll see what else we can figure out.:)

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

It seems to be just fine. More or less as before. Yes I think it was clearing the cache. Didn't seem to want to clear data...went pale if I remember so I went on to Force Stop. Having done that, I went to Email for a look (before going any further)...and there it was!!!

I had looked at all that before, but was too scared to take any risks with adverse consequences...
If you have a moment what did I do? What is cache? Force stop what? And would I do that again in the case of a similar problem?

AND the battery seems to be back to normal loss....it was 100% last night and is 90% this morning (having had a little use). As I said, before, it would have been 20%! I am pretty sure it was the update to 5.1.0 that caused the battery problem, the one where they said they were merging email the moment the update was finished. I hoped that they would have put it right on the second update 5.1.1

THANK YOU very much! I am so relieved.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Cached data is data temporarily stored by an app that allows it to be accessed more quickly, making the app more efficient and improving performance. It is never important personal data--so if you clear the cache, you won't lose any documents or other files that are important to you. Sometimes, cached data can cause issues, so clearing it out is a common troubleshooting step.

Force Stopping an app is exactly what it sounds like--you're forcing the app to stop functioning, and essentially closing it out of active RAM. The way Android works, when you leave an app, it typically remains in active RAM, but gets moved to the background. If you return to the app again, having it still in RAM makes it open more quickly. But if an app is malfunctioning, it can help to completely shut it down and get it out of RAM, then open it again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power