Nexus 7 2013 Auto Rotate Screen Stopped Working

Tatooine_Star

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Please help.
My Google Nexus 7 2013 LTE has suddenly stopping auto rotating the screen.
The screen will rotate if I open an app that forces either landscape or portrait views, so the screen will work in either view.
However, on either the home screen, lock screen, or any app that rotates, the auto rotate feature is not working.
I have tried:
- turning the device on and off again - no change,
- turning the auto rotate function on and off again - no change,
- wiping the device and rebuilding - no change.

This happened after the Google search app updated to version 5.2.33.19.arm on 8th Sept 2015.

Current Android version - 5.1.1, build LMY48L

Please help. Thanks.

Tatooine_Star

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Issue has resolved itself, somehow, after another restart. Not sure why this happened, but all back to normal without changing anything.
No Laura Knotek, I am using the tablet as standard, no customisation at all.

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same thing after the latest system update. I powered it off and the next morning when I powered it back on it processed more of the update and then rotated again. Today I launched the Smart Voice Recorder (which only operates in portrait mode) and my tablet would no longer autorotate. A reboot did not fix it nor did safe mode. I'm convinced the problem was caused by the latest system update, but am about to have to do a factory reset to resolve the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Google support left me with no alternative but a factory reset.

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I backed up my data and did a factory reset. That did NOT fix the problem. It looks like my accelerometer has crapped out. I installed Set Orientation and can force it into landscape and will keep on trucking. I rarely used portrait mode and can still get to it if need be.