Why won't my Nexus 7 (2013) connect to my home Wi-Fi (running Android 6.0.1)?

A

AC Question

I bought a second-hand Wi-Fi only Nexus 7 (2013), which came wiped, with Android 6.0.1 installed, but it won't connect to my home Wi-Fi router. It will save the details but when it tries to connect I get the message 'Wi-Fi Connection Failure'. I am certain the password is correct.

Other devices connect without problems, and I have successfully connected the Nexus to a work Wi-Fi network, but it's no good to me if it won't connect at home. I previously had another Nexus 7 that would connect fine, but was recently bricked by an Android update.

I have tried all suggested fixes I can find online, including:

- Restarting the router
- Wiping data on the Nexus 7
- Restarting the Nexus (in safe and normal mode)
- Switching Wi-Fi/Airplane Mode on and off on the Nexus 7
- Forgetting and re-entering the network details
- Changing the frequency on the Nexus 7
- Changing the channel and security settings on the router

None has any effect. As far as I know my router is on the latest firmware. It's a Sky Hub, which broadcasts at 2.4 GHz.

Can anyone think of a fix or any known issues? I can return the device free to the retailer but would like to see if I can avoid the hassle.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the DHCP range on the router wide enough? Make sure there are plenty of available IP addresses that can be assigned.

Mpb39

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. How do I know if it's wide enough or what IP addresses are available?

I can log into my router (Sky Hub SR102) but haven't noticed a way to check or change this.

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
When you attempt to logon to your home network enter the password slowly and watch the display as you enter it to ensure that you are truly entering what you think you are entering. It is possible that your 'keyboard' is producing double characters or some such thing. Also, try setting your router temporarily to be unsecured so NO password is required and see what happens.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
6.0.1 appears to have a problem - connecting to wifi. Wait for 6.0.2 to fix it.

I have 2 N7 2013 devices, both on 6.0.1 - both are WiFi only devices - and I have no WiFi connection problems with either unit.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
... it won't connect to my home Wi-Fi router. It will save the details but when it tries to connect I get the message 'Wi-Fi Connection Failure'. I am certain the password is correct....I have tried all suggested fixes I can find online.... Can anyone think of a fix or any known issues?
Not with my Nexus, but with several other devices over the years, I've had issues where the device just won't connect to the router on its own. Sometimes you can make it connect by assigning a local IP on your device and/or reserving an IP in your router for your device's NIC. It's a bit of a clunky solution, but it might work. Just remember to use a local IP higher in the available range, one that isn't likely to be assigned somewhere else. You'll also have to assign a default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS server, but you can copy those over from any device that is successfully connected to your Sky hub. Good luck. HTH 🐸

jmmz

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I would look at the model of your router for instruction first. Like, what is the number to type in the URL to access directly to the router. Find the account ID and password for it. at 192.168.0.1
Sky Hub Sky Hub review - Sky Broadband router (Sky Hub SR101)

is there a SSID number on the back of your router? I saw this general way to setup for an android smartphone.
https://www.windstream.com/Support/How-do-I-set-up-my-wireless-connection-on-my-Android-smartphone-/

Then go to the Nexus, In the Wifi setting, upper right,add network, enter the information, would take a couple minutes to recognize the network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie