Need help with file permissions

bigshotking

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I recently purchased two Nexus 7 tablets (2012 and 2013) which are going into two different cars. I'm trying to change the boot animation so that when the vehicle is powered on the custom boot animation will display.

My issue is I can't seem to move my bootanimation.zip which I placed in the virtual SD card to the system/media folder using root browser. It begins to copy but then says operation failed leaving a bootanimation.zip with a file size of 0kb. I've tried setting the permissions to the new bootanimation.zip but it won't let me change them.

I hope this explains the issue I'm having, if not I can provide more info.

Thank you for your time,
Bigshot

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I recently purchased two Nexus 7 tablets (2012 and 2013) which are going into two different cars. I'm trying to change the boot animation so that when the vehicle is powered on the custom boot animation will display.

My issue is I can't seem to move my bootanimation.zip which I placed in the virtual SD card to the system/media folder using root browser. It begins to copy but then says operation failed leaving a bootanimation.zip with a file size of 0kb. I've tried setting the permissions to the new bootanimation.zip but it won't let me change them.

I hope this explains the issue I'm having, if not I can provide more info.

Thank you for your time,
Bigshot
Welcome to Android Central!

Try using ES file manager. It is much better than Root browser. You'll have to go into the settings of the file manager and make sure that you set the root permissions for it. You'll also have to give it read&write for it to be able to right to a system folder. That is probably your issue that you are having. You have to mount the file explorer and give it the ability to read and write to the folder.

bigshotking

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I switched over to the ES File Manager, I enabled the Root explorer and in the mount R/W settings page there are two options; "/" and "/system". I set both to RW I also get the message the ES File Manager has been granted access to root.

I think my issue is that I can't take the file out of the virtual SD card. But I can copy/paste/overwrite the original bootanimation.zip into the main directory and back into the media folder.

EDIT:
This is the error that I get when I try to copy the new bootanimation.zip from the virtual SD card to the \system\media folder: "/system/media/bootanimation.zip open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)"

Last edited: