Where is the Spam Folder in GMail that Connects to AOL Mail?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Before Marshmallow, when running Lollipop (and KitKat) I was using the "stock" email app that came with my 2013 Nexus 7 Tablet. This meant that I had a separate email icon for AOL mail and Comcast email. However, when Marshmallow rolled out, Gmail "took over" as the default email app and folded all my email accounts into Gmail. Now I have to select which Inbox I want to look at: AOL, Comcast, or Google Gmail.

When I look at my folders (called 'labels' in Gmail) there is no Spam folder for my AOL account. I see a Junk folder, but no Spam. The Junk Folder is apparently the same as the Trash Folder in most other email apps.

When viewing my inbox in AOL mail, if I tap on the three bar menu in the upper corner of the screen, then Settings, then under General Settings I select my AOL email address, then I'm supposed to see an option called Manage Labels, where I'm supposed to be able to turn on (or make visible) the Spam Folder. However, when I tap on my AOL email address, there is no option to Manage Labels, so I can't switch the Spam Folder on/off.

I can see the Spam Folder for AOL with my Droid Turbo email app, I can see it in my PC's Thunderbird Email software, I can see it if I sign into AOL online, just can't see it on my Nexus 7 (2013) running Gmail.

Where is my AOL Spam folder in GMail, and how do I make it accessible?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Install the email app you used to use and it'll work the same as it always did. Remove all the accounts from the GMail app. (NOT from Google, from GMail.)

Folders, if you have the email account (on the server) set for IMAP, don't exist, they're faked. They only exist in POP3 email. "Where is my AOL Spam folder in GMail, and how do I make it accessible?" If you have AOL set for IMAP, it doesn't exist. If you have it set for POP3, it exists on AOL's server.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the original stock Email app prior to Marshmallow is available any more to install on Nexus devices. You could try a 3rd party email client like Aqua Mail.

I thought that if you used the IMAP server, it would duplicate the folder structure (including the Spam folder)--but unlike POP3, the emails wouldn't physically download to the phone. Instead, you're essentially accessing the emails in the cloud.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Install the email app you used to use and it'll work the same as it always did. Remove all the accounts from the GMail app. (NOT from Google, from GMail.)

As B.Diddly says, I believe the stock email app is no longer available to install.

Folders, if you have the email account (on the server) set for IMAP, don't exist, they're faked. They only exist in POP3 email. "Where is my AOL Spam folder in GMail, and how do I make it accessible?" If you have AOL set for IMAP, it doesn't exist. If you have it set for POP3, it exists on AOL's server.

AOL is set to IMAP. I understand with IMAP there isn't a literal "folder" or file on my devices. Still, I am using the term "folder" for purposes of this conversation.

I don't see a Spam folder with Gmail connecting to AOL on my tablet. I do see a Spam folder on my PC running Thunderbird, on my Droid Turbo phone, and when I log into AOL online. My Google Gmail account has a Spam folder. So whatever AOL's servers are doing to allow me to see a Spam folder on my other devices, it's not being allowed to do it in Gmail.

I suppose the only solution is to install another email app to handle AOL.

Dmjohn29

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I use the Gmail app for Gmail, Hotmail, AOL and Zoho. My AOL mail account show a "Junk" folder that contains AOL's spam. Try deleting the AOL account and reinstalling it.