Strange alert w/Japanese characters and ms/number

bstarfish

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since the latest update a few days ago, I have been seeing some odd small alerts near the bottom of the screen in what appears to be Japanese.

There are usually 2 messages; one with Japanese text only, and then one with some text which contains "ms/number".

Has anyone else seen these recently, or does anyone know what they might be?

I am running MOB30P.

Thanks!

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend got this a few days ago as well without having installed anything out of the ordinary. Clicking on them brought up advertising messages. So we suspected some sort of malware. She did a factory reset and all's well now. Still don't know what it was our why it suddenly came up... She uses a Motorola btw, not Nexus

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am running MOB30P.
I'm running that same update on my Nexus 7 and have not seen what you describe. Out of curiosity, did you accept the original update (which appeared in Spanish) or the later one (that appeared in English)?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away?

What happens when you select the alerts?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are a few threads reporting a similar issue. For most users the culprit was ES File Explorer. If you have this app installed in your phone disable it temporarily and see if the problem persists. Tell us how it goes.

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I use es file explorer on both my nexus's and my 4 mxiii-g media boxes and have not got this problem. I also always only update via Google playstore regardless if the app asks to update itself, perhaps their servers were hacked?

bstarfish

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the ES File Explorer tip. I just uninstalled it. I have not seen the messages in a few days. I did install the English version of the update. Will update with the results.

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Never saw the issue in any of my 10droids and I use both the free and pro versions of es file explorer. Also never saw answer about how people updated it: only via the play store(like myself) or by way of the app itself?