App to compare and/or sync tablet and Win7 computer

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that will compare two files or two folders, one on my tablet and the other on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. I can transfer files easily between tablet and computer using WebDAV, but what I need is something that will tell me what's different between, say, my Travel folder on the tablet and the Travel folder on my computer. E.g. if the tablet's Travel folder has 46 files and the computer's Travel folder has 53, which ones are missing? There are software programs that can compare folders or files on the computer, but I don't know of any that can compare those on the tablet with those on the computer. Are there any? Thanks in advance for your help.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you use Google Drive and set that up on your computer, then Google Drive automatically syncs the files in it on both locations. I'm sure Dropbox and other cloud storage solutions have similar capabilities.

I'm not aware of an app that will do that for random folders on your tablet, but I've never looked for that specifically.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much, GSDer, for this suggestion. I've now tried it out, but I'm afraid it's not going to work for me. My tablet can access the Internet only via wi-fi, and I want to be able to access the files even when I don't have a connection. There is a setting in Google Drive for making a file available offline, but I have hundreds of files that I want to have available, and unfortunately I would have to go file by file to change the setting to "make available offline." And each time I add new files, I'd have to go to each of them on Google Drive and set each of them one by one to be available offline. I don't know why Google Drive doesn't permit me to make that setting folder by folder, but apparently it's only possible file by file. :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The only other easy solution would be to have a USB drive which was in sync with your computer (there are lots of solutions for that!) and then to use USB-OTG (On The Go) to mount the USB drive to your tablet.

I've seen solutions that have a micro-USB connection on one side and a normal (USB A) connection on the other side which support USB-OTG, and they typically come in sizes from 32GB to 128GB.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks VERY much for all your helpful suggestions. I think eventually I'll probably go with USB-OTG in conjunction with AllwaySync--I'm really happy to know about this. However, Real Life has gotten complicated lately. As a result, I decided that for now, I'd just bite the bullet and go through the files I care most about on Google Drive and one-by-one set them to be available offline. Again, many many thanks for your help!

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks once again, GSDer. I was preoccupied with the election yesterday, so I missed the sale. But that's OK, I'm still hoping that your initial suggestion about Google Drive may work better for me than I'd originally thought. I'm most grateful to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol