Start up BUG...

noznarf

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Jus got my Nexus 7 yesterday and i've encountered a problem already. I charged the device for a couple of hours and was excited to start it up.

As soon as i started the device...I got the google logo, followed by the nexus symbol, and then....jus black screen. I've tried rebooting in recovery mode to no avail.

When I press and hold the power button for 10+ seconds the Google screen will show, then some 10 seconds afterwards you gets the multi-coloured Nexus symbol and then nothing happens again.

Anyone else have this problem? I really hope there is a solution.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your auto brightness is not set properly. Power back up and when it gets to the black screen, either shine a flashlight on it or take it out in the sunlight. You should be able to faintly see the start triangle. Touch start triangle and when your are finished setting up...go into settings and adjust your brightness.

Let us know if you get it going!!!:)

noznarf

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
dparrothead1, you are a lifesaver! I took it outside and changed was able to fairly see the screen and changed the brightness setting right away! thank you soo much!

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
dparrothead1, you are a lifesaver! I took it outside and changed was able to fairly see the screen and changed the brightness setting right away! thank you soo much!

I'm just happy that you got it to work. One good thing about these forums. No matter what your problem is......someone knows how to fix it:) :) :) :)

Reactions: noznarf

ozozoz

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys! Mine is also now working well. I went to a dark place, then display got so brighter and I was able to manage their settings.

Your advise were very useful! I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

andyandroid81891

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. This doesn't fix the auto brightness. How do I tell if my hardware light sensor is bad or there's some weird software bug? What settings are there for auto brightness?

JLSolo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a slightly different problem. When I completely power down my Nexus 7 (2.0) and next turn it on the screen is frozen either at the Google logo page or at the Nexus logo page. The only thing that helps is holding down the power button for many seconds, which shuts down the device. Then, when I turn it on again it starts up fine. Any advice?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. This doesn't fix the auto brightness. How do I tell if my hardware light sensor is bad or there's some weird software bug? What settings are there for auto brightness?

First thing to do is to make sure the glass over the light sensor is completely clean. The light sensor should be next to the front-facing camera.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a slightly different problem. When I completely power down my Nexus 7 (2.0) and next turn it on the screen is frozen either at the Google logo page or at the Nexus logo page. The only thing that helps is holding down the power button for many seconds, which shuts down the device. Then, when I turn it on again it starts up fine. Any advice?

You might need to do a restore on the unit. However, if you do a complete restore it will wipe out the data on the unit. You can do so by pressing the power button and the vol down button until you see the android laying down. You can use the vol up/down to scroll through the option. If you select recovery mode you will see the android bot with a exclamation point. Simply press the power button and a quick push of the power up key to see the full options. If you need more details on that just send me a direct email at cl-fred@asus.com