must have apps??

philthy

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello all! I just got my Nexus 7 tablet today (at Brandsmart USA - NO TAX!!), been loving it so far. I'm in a download frenzy, so I just wanted to know - what are some must have apps? I want to spend my $25 credit on all games but I know I'll probably want some kind of keyboard/typing app and some utility apps. Any suggestions?

This is off topic, but when did you place the order?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
LBE is not compatible with Jelly Bean. The dev never responded to my email and the app hasn't been updated for a while.

File manager - Solid Explorer (great file manager in general, on tablets also gives you two panels to work with)

Keyboard - Swiftkey 3 (better than stock in every way)

Social apps - Skype (pretty self explanatory), Flipboard (the best all around reader)

Customization - Ultimate Custom Clock Widget (create your own widgets with ton of options), Minimalistic Text (also create your own widgets but focused mostly on text widgets), HD Widgets (big screen needs some big and hi-quality widgets)

Games - Dead Trigger (despite all the recent BS with the game's developer, it's still one of the best game on Android), Demolition Inc (strategically blow sh*t up), Major Mayhem (simple game but fun as hell), Obscura (fun platformer with great art style), Roboto (another fun platformer), and of course some emulators like SNesoid, Gensoid, Mupen64.

Security - App Lock (protect any app with a password), LBE Security Guard (*root required* permission manager with an easy-to-use interface).
Side note: no, you do NOT need an anti-virus app. Just stay off the Chinese markets and don't side-load shady apps, and you'll be fine.

Weiserca

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I used Wiimotecontroller to easily connect my Wii remote And plugged in classic controller. Works really good on emulators, but not so much with games like Shadowgun. If anybody has gotten this to work on more modern games, please share your advice.

mkstvns

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
SwiftKey 3 keyboard for tablets is a must have IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It is a must-have, although it drives me nuts that it doesn't have the same arrow/cursor display option as the regular phone version (I have a row of arrows along the bottom of the keyboard on my Nexus).

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought it at Brandsmart in person. I downloaded the Tapatalk app but it seems to have trouble connecting to any servers. Is there something wrong with it? Also how can I make my home screen landscape mode?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Wow so far out there. A firewall omg this isn't a PC. All Those features take resources and zap battery life and cause issues with android.all these security apps are feeding on your fears its not needed. 99.9% of the time some one crys wolf about a attack. It comes back its not true. Hell I've been DL torrents to my phone and xoom for along time and have never had a issue. And we know how shady torrents can be.
So people are actually saying don't use Avast? Is there a harm?

I look at it like this, I don't plan to step on a rusty nail but I get tetanus shots. I don't expect a virus but if someone does get one by Google and myself I have a third line of defense. I'm also thinking of all the people that aren't as careful. Viruses spread from them. If we force inoculate them then viruses won't ever become prevalent. More foresight with windows would have changed the face of computing.

Avast also has theft, privacy, and modest firewall controls. There's no reason not to have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ayman07

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
If I may recommend some of my own apps:

Tablified Market HD – largest database of tablet apps. if you want a quick way to find apps that take advantage of the screen real estate on your nexus 7, then this is the place to find them.

LilyPad HD – if you love using facebook chat or google talk then you'll want to check out this floating instant messaging app. it lets you multitask on your nexus 7. that means you can watch a movie, browse the internet and still be chatting with your friends. no more having to flip back and forth between apps.

Some of my other favorite tablet apps:

-Tabstagram
-Plume
-Antipaper
-swiftkey
-shoppa
-evernote

Leugim#WN

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If it ain't Swype... it ain't right. The Swype BETA is the goto keyboard app in my opinion.

I have been downloading/installing/rooting/unlocking/wiping and reinstalling for about a month straight. There are about 15 or so apps that I ALWAYS make sure that I have on my Nexus 7.

Amazon Apps [Kindle/MP3/Appstore/Mobile]
Adobe [Air/Flash 11]
Android Central
Astro File Manager
Asus Supernote
Battery Widget
Chrome
Chrome to Phone
Dolphin Browser HD
Dropbox
Facebook
Fandango
Flashlight (by Devesh Parekh)
Mizuu
MX Player
Nova Launcher/Prime
Rom Manager
Rom Toolbox Pro
Simple Sound Profile Widget
Skifta
Superbox Pro
Swype Beta
TabletTalk
Tapatalk
TED
The Verge
Tiny Flashlight + LED
Trillian
XDA
Volume+

Food for thought:
I see quite A LOT of people pushing Swiftkey, I'm not sure if its because it's listed in the market but the Swype Beta by Nuance is in my opinion leagues above it. You can't download it directly from the Play Store which I assume is why it isn't winning any popularity contest but I assure you all it is THE app.

You can't find it in the Play Store but by pointing your mobile browsers here, registering and following the prompts they will send an email that is accessible by your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyzlene

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow so far out there. A firewall omg this isn't a PC. All Those features take resources and zap battery life and cause issues with android.all these security apps are feeding on your fears its not needed. 99.9% of the time some one crys wolf about a attack. It comes back its not true. Hell I've been DL torrents to my phone and xoom for along time and have never had a issue. And we know how shady torrents can be.

Firewalls block apps from phoning home. It's not the same as with a PC but can be handy when apps ask for silly permissions

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm trying the Swiftkey 3 for tablet and I honestly can't get used to it. The typing is awkward for me in landscape mode (which is how I usually have it when I browse) and I'm pretty used to using Swype on my phone. Tapatalk is kinda annoying me... keeps not being able to connect to the servers when I try to find the forums I use. Am I doing something wrong here or is there something screwy happening?

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
If I may recommend some of my own apps:

Tablified Market HD ? largest database of tablet apps. if you want a quick way to find apps that take advantage of the screen real estate on your nexus 7, then this is the place to find them.

LilyPad HD ? if you love using facebook chat or google talk then you'll want to check out this floating instant messaging app. it lets you multitask on your nexus 7. that means you can watch a movie, browse the internet and still be chatting with your friends. no more having to flip back and forth between apps.

Will lilypad get kik messenger support?

iphart

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree completely, no need for any virus/firewall protection. It just becomes bloat ware when you add these.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I used Wiimotecontroller to easily connect my Wii remote And plugged in classic controller. Works really good on emulators, but not so much with games like Shadowgun. If anybody has gotten this to work on more modern games, please share your advice.
The only thing I can offer is to either use:
A) PS3 Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller.
B) USB official Xbox 360 controller.

Both ways will work with Shadowgun (I know because I've done it), as well as GTA III and other games. The Sixaxis controller app ($2) is fantastic, but it can not emulate tilt controls to the analog sticks yet (for racing games).

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can offer is to either use:
A) PS3 Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller.
B) USB official Xbox 360 controller.

Both ways will work with Shadowgun (I know because I've done it), as well as GTA III and other games. The Sixaxis controller app ($2) is fantastic, but it can not emulate tilt controls to the analog sticks yet (for racing games).

Hi there, would you mind elaborating a bit on your setup with these two controllers?
Do you need an app for the Xbox controller?
Are you rooted/do you need to be?
What kinds of setup do you do to make the controllers work with various apps?
Have you tested with emulators?
Anything else you can say about the experience?

I recently purchased a wiimote classic controller specifically for emulators but I would very much like a more well-rounded solution.

Thanks!

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
A couple more I forgot to mention:

MX Video Player - plays every damn video format under the sun, like VLC for Windows

Apex Launcher - a ton of options for ICS+ devices. I see people are divided between Apex and Nova, I guess try both of them. Both are better than stock.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, would you mind elaborating a bit on your setup with these two controllers?
Do you need an app for the Xbox controller?
Are you rooted/do you need to be?
What kinds of setup do you do to make the controllers work with various apps?
Have you tested with emulators?
Anything else you can say about the experience?

I recently purchased a wiimote classic controller specifically for emulators but I would very much like a more well-rounded solution.

Thanks!

Xbox 360 controller works better wired and you need the USB OTG host adapter. I am not rooted and can use keyboards and play Dead Trigger and a few other games with the 360 controller.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX