Using the Nexus 7 as an (almost) daily driver

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've seen many articles about editors using the nexus 7 out and about because of its portability and size. So, I was wondering how many users of the nexus 7 actually use it out and about, while at work or in a restaurant. I've been using my nexus 7 in situations where I would normally use my phone. All I have to do is set up my galaxy nexus as a hotspot, for data, and connect my tablet to my phone using tablet talk, so I can text through my nexus 7. The nexus 7 is so portable it can fit in any pocket or small bag and is light enough to carry around. I have hardly used my phone for browsing and the like since I bought my nexus 7. So I'm curious to know if any other people have pretty much used their nexus 7 as a daily diver, using their phone every now and then to make calls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Tt32dsg

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Using the Nexus 7 as a (almost) daily driver

Mine is mounted on dash as carputer with my mifi. Spotify, maps with real timetraffic, navigation, email, etc. = daily driver

ejraney

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep mine goes everywhere my phone goes, and my phone has become just a phone. I have WiFi at home and work, and FoxFi while out and about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting until I get a good case before I take it out daily. The few times I have though it works beautifully tethered to my GS2.

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

my 4.7" is almost to big to brandish in certain situations. I can't imagine using the nexus 7 in a restaurant/general public. If im at a cafe/at my desk/on a train/etc its ok IMHO.

ive gotten in the habbit using my tablet as an ereader for the Bible. My dad and brother bring their tablets to church (and it took me a few visits to get used to this) but if i had to bring a tablet to church, id def prefer the nexus 7 to my xoom/my brothers ipad

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
my 4.7" is almost to big to brandish in certain situations. I can't imagine using the nexus 7 in a restaurant/general public. If im at a cafe/at my desk/on a train/etc its ok IMHO.

ive gotten in the habbit using my tablet as an ereader for the Bible. My dad and brother bring their tablets to church (and it took me a few visits to get used to this) but if i had to bring a tablet to church, id def prefer the nexus 7 to my xoom/my brothers ipad

I see what you mean. If it is a really fancy restaurant, I wouldn't use my nexus 7 but if it is just a fast food or casual restaurant/cafe I wouldn't mind either.

Oceaniaae1

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

I love taking my N7 out daily. I work in IT for a private school with 7 campuses and this thing helps me all day long. From being in a WiFi environment all day to a battery that last me 2 days I can very easily manage my network access points and servers with ease. Best purchase I've made in a long time...upgraded from my iPad 3.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Ive been using my Nexus 7 at work, and about two weeks ago i had it with me at TGI Fridays. I love my Nexus 7.

jedilow

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

It works great as a Bible reader =)

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I have been having a hard time trying to find the best work flow for my life.

Sporting: Nexus 7, HTC One S, and 13 Macbook Pro.

My phone battery definitely last longer now. Lol. I guess the hardest part that I'm trying to work out is which device(meaning let it sync or just have up to date only on the N7) and /or what app do I want to use for my organizer/ to do. With in the category of apps there are so many high quality apps and I want to use them all for that reason but.... My brain can't handle that. I'm a pastor of a small church so I wear a lot of hats and need to be able to manage my to do, projects, ideas, and functions in a complete but usable way.
I currently have Evernote and use it for synced writing on my N7 and rough brain storming. Also have Springpad which looks amazing an I love to be able to have a shared to do list of a project.
And I use Any.do to just throw those tasks in that I think of on the fly but could easily for get. And finally I bought 2do which is amazing in it work flow and organization but syncing is horrible. So my frustration is in trying to get my N7 work flow down to maybe 2 if these apps.
I

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Android Central Forums

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

All day, every day, it goes where I go. The biggest positive for me has been the days I'm on the motorcycle. While I loved my xoom, it wasn't as postable as I would have liked. However, the N7 goes wherever I need it to easily, because it fits in my jacket pocket, or underneath my passenger seat.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Lol. You used it at TGI? How did it go? Hahaha

Went great! I had to do something work related and I didnt want to do it on my phone so I pulled it out and started working. My waiter loved it, he didnt know wut it was but when i told him it was Googles first official tablet he was excited. It was kind of funny. Love my Nexus 7.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Everyone must have a lot bigger pockets than I do.... I can't fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket, but I tend to carry a messenger bag around with me. Anytime I have my bag, my Nexus 7 comes with. I use it all the time and even use it to take notes during meetings at work. I also use it when I have to go somewhere alone and have no one to talk to. However, I do still stick to my strict "no devices" (had to change it from "no phone") rule when I'm with someone.

Overall, I've been really impressed and while I thought I would mostly be using the Nexus 7 as an e-reader/light browsing device, I have found several more uses for it.

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I love the 7" format and have had a NookColor and now a 7" HTC Flyer and alway carry it in a front pocket wherever I go. Just purchased 3 Nexus 7's for grandsons and a daughter. Also got to know Jelly Bean and love it. I was hoping to see a smaller 7" iPad, but it sounds like it maybe closer to 8". That makes it to big for most of my pants. Apple, that is a big mistake. Tip: Always place in same front pocket withn no other items and face screen against your leg. This has worked for me for 2 years with no screen protectors or cases which make them to big.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
N7 is how I get my media content consumption (G+, Currents, YouTube, gaming, etc) in the mornings and when I get home from work. Once I get more comfortable with Tasker (still fairly new to Tasker and the whole Android scene in general) and start setting up badass profiles for both my N7 and my GNex, it'll just bake itself into my life even more.

Not to hijack, but is Tablet Talk the best app in that category? Any other recommendations? Did a quick search but I'm at work so it's tough to browse too much :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I've read a lot of threads here, and on the CrackBerry forums (I have a PlayBook too) where people say they take it everywhere, or it goes where they go and never leaves their side.

My question is: what do you do with it? Do you take it with you just to have it? I have a hard time seeing myself taking it into a grocery store, or to my local AutoZone. Last Saturday we went out to eat, and I thought about bringing it just to bring it, but how rude it would have been for me to pull it out while at dinner with my girlfriend.

Then there is the tethering issue. I can tether to my Galaxy Nexus, but is it worth it just to do price comparisons while standing in Lowes or Home Depot? I'd just use my phone.

Anyway, just curious if people that have it with them 24/7 actually use it, or just like to have it with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12