Miscalibrated accelerometer

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I was playing a racing game that requires you to tilt the device to steer and I noticed that when I held the device upright, my car drifted to the right. I had to tilt slightly to the left to drive straight. So I downloaded the the Bubble Level app, and these were the results.

Holding the device upright:
2012-08-11%2019.35.03.png

The device on a flat surface:
2012-08-11%2019.38.21.png

Now, I am able to calibrate the level from within the app, it saves it as a "custom" calibration and it seems to work fine, but only within the app itself. Calibration remains off outside of the bubble level app. I've had some trouble switching from portrait to landscape and now I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

Has anybody else experienced similar issues or know of a fix? I hadn't noticed it before playing the racing game. Aside from this issue, I love the device.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Did it work correctly before or you're not sure? If it never worked correctly as far as you know, then you should get it exchanged. If it worked before, then it might be fixable through another calibration app.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just tested mine. In landscape mode it was perfect. In portrait mode it was far off to the left side. Though I had not noticed any problems with screen rotation.

Screenshot_2012-08-11-18-32-46.png

bundybytes

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Returned my first and my second one is doing the exact same thing. I've even confirmed with a coworker and they too have the problem.

This is the video I posted and sent to google supply. I doubt they've looked. The support sucks ass. I'm trying to get the second replaced now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIR-pdfU2X4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tb311

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just got my replacement and its a lot better than my first one. The first one, the y axis was off by about 1.2 and my new one is only off by .5 which is a lot more bearable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Returned my first and my second one is doing the exact same thing. I've even confirmed with a coworker and they too have the problem.

This is the video I posted and sent to google supply. I doubt they've looked. The support sucks ass. I'm trying to get the second replaced now.

Nexus 7 Accelerometer problems - YouTube

How is the exchange process? Did you have to call in? E-mail?

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
As poorly built as the N7 case is, I don't think a standard test is going to be that accurate, especially with the tall end. If you are off a couple of degrees or less, call it as accurate as you can reasonably expect. I think the vertical orientation is always going to be off a bit more. I did a rough comparison with my own bubble level and the N7 displayed about the same. Also, if you haven't tested your surface for its own level-ness with another level first, you are chasing your tail.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
As poorly built as the N7 case is, I don't think a standard test is going to be that accurate, especially with the tall end. If you are off a couple of degrees or less, call it as accurate as you can reasonably expect. I think the vertical orientation is always going to be off a bit more. I did a rough comparison with my own bubble level and the N7 displayed about the same. Also, if you haven't tested your surface for its own level-ness with another level first, you are chasing your tail.

I used a real bubble level. It was off ~10 degrees in both landscape and portrait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty