Google Currents to Blame For Nexus7 Lag After Update to 4.2?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thought i would share this with you guys.

After the update to Android 4.2, many users of the Nexus 7 have experienced major lag issues, with no real fix or explanation for the occurrence. Neither ASUS or Google have acknowledged any issue, which isn?t a shock, but that hasn?t stopped one member of XDA to dig for a solution.

During his research, he discovered that Google?s Currents app could be the culprit. With tons of forum members supporting the post and even users on Reddit stating that the fix has worked like a dream, here?s what you can do to fix the alleged lag on your Nexus 7.

Open your app drawer
Open Google Currents
Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
Tap ?Settings?
Uncheck ?Enable Background Sync?
Reboot your Nexus 7
If this helps speed up your Nexus 7, let us know and be sure to spread the word.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/2...-for-nexus-7-lag-after-update-to-android-4-2/

Xda [Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag - xda-developers

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Thats a great tip. I never noticed any lag, but the less things in the background the better. I am not a user of Google Currents. I always use Pulse.
So I never would think to see if Currents had any settings.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That may explain why I never saw any lag, then. I disabled Google Currents' sync feature a long time before I got 4.2. Thanks for the tip.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Did not work for me. There's still significant lag when opening multi-task window and at times when pulling up the keyboard. My lag did get much better after doing a factory reset, but there's still some lag in areas that 4.1.2 did not have.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Did not work for me. There's still significant lag when opening multi-task window and at times when pulling up the keyboard. My lag did get much better after doing a factory reset, but there's still some lag in areas that 4.1.2 did not have.

How significant? Usually the multi-task window loads well within a second, but sometimes I wait about 1-2 seconds, which is well within my tolerance level. I don't think I've ever had a noticeable lag when loading the keyboard. Certainly nothing more than a second.

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've seen some lag since 4.2, mostly when typing or when using chrome or Google now. Since I disabled background updates in currents that lag is gone and things are as fast as they were before the update. I've been using it for hours and the lag hasn't returned.

Sent from my Nexus 7

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
How significant? Usually the multi-task window loads well within a second, but sometimes I wait about 1-2 seconds, which is well within my tolerance level. I don't think I've ever had a noticeable lag when loading the keyboard. Certainly nothing more than a second.

With 4.1.2, tapping the "multi-task" button would show all the thumbnails instantly. Never any lag at all. With 4.2, at the fastest, it shows it with about 1/2 second lag (the lag is mostly on the other apps, not your current one which animates shrinking down). At the worst, I see a blank overlay window for 3-4 seconds before they filter in. That's unacceptable given that 4.1.2 on the same device was always instant and zero lag. It's a huge regression.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Wonder what would happen if I allowed background sync only with "Wi-Fi Only" and "Only if charging"? Going to give that a try but I haven't seen any lag issues.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I used to have GPS and auto-sync on, but I have experienced better, way better, battery life. Disabling the sync on Currents actually worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just tested opening Currents and syncing it manually and even that brought the slowness back. So, I've frozen it for now. I actually like the app, so hopefully they do an update to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you like Currents, try Pulse if you haven't already. Very nice interface, overall leaner than Currents.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the stock 4.2 (rooted) for 2 weeks, and the lags are pretty bad. I turned off "Currents" but the lags are still there.

I am going back to 4.12. Unfortunately, I had also updated my Clockworkmod recovery, and now have to jump thru several hoops to access my old backups.

Newer is definitely not better in this case.