Nexus 7 tablet has poor build quality.

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This device suffers from backlight bleed, screen lift, horizontal line artifacts, and other issues.

OK so I think I'm done with this device. I've gone through 10 now and I really think Google owes me and others for having to exercise quality control for them. I have gone through 10 of these devices and I can say that all of them had the problems mentioned above.

I can definitely say without a doubt that this device is simply of very poor build quality even though the specs, jelly bean os, and performance is great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This device suffers from backlight bleed, screen lift, horizontal line artifacts, and other issues.

OK so I think I'm done with this device. I've gone through 10 now and I really think Google owes me and others for having to exercise quality control for them. I have gone through 10 of these devices and I can say that all of them had the problems mentioned above.

I can definitely say without a doubt that this device is simply of very poor build quality even though the specs, jelly bean os, and performance is great.

You gotta be kidding me? I just picked one up yesterday and I do NOT have any of the above issues you stated.

The Pros:
Nice Screen
Updated OS
Quad Core
Excellent Quality (IMHO)
Battery Life (At 79% after 1 day 19 hours)
Price is amazing
FFC is good
Just everything!!!!!!!!

The Cons:
I got nothing??? :cool:

Alex198908

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Tuesday and I have no issues either. I specifically checked for the screen separation issue.

It's crazy you went through 10 through. Was it one device exchanged over and over again?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
seriously??? There seems to be no issue with the device from what i have seen from my friends Nexus...

@Alex198908: you made me laugh out loud

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
There are some quality issues. But I decided to just stick with the one I got (fourth Nexus 7) and stop trying to find the perfect one. Perhaps in a month or so I'll try another RMA.

Backlight bleeding.
I don't think I've noticed this on any of mine. If I have to go through unusual circumstances to see it, then it's not a problem to me.

Screen lift.
Had a couple with screen lift, including my last from the latest batch. I put a couple clamps on the left side, left it overnight and it seems fine now. Keeping my fingers cross.

Horizontal line artifacts.
I thought I was the only person that noticed this, hadn't seen it mentioned before. If this is the horizontal line of pixels in portrait mode that flicker once, I've seen this on two of my tablets. It's infrequent, so it doesn't bother me. I just hope it isn't a sign of impending screen failure.

Colors, White saturation, Smartdimmer.
These are really the issues that bugs me by far the most. Whites over oversaturated. I notice this makes small fonts on white look a bit fuzzy, like in the Play Store.
Greens and yellows look too pastel, washed out.
The Tegra 3 smartdimmer causes the screen to look over exposed during and after playing videos (using the work around, so this one isn't really a problem at the moment).

But despite not being perfect, I enjoy the tablet and decided to just put it's few issues out of mind for now and focus on the good stuff. It feels great, performs very nicely, and I love Android Jelly Bean. And it only cost me $280.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

wow.....On 8/1 you said had gone through 4 units..on 8/5 that number had gone up to 6 units.....the very next day, on 8/6, the number had increased to 10 units!!!!!! Everyone can draw their own conclusions!!!!!

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
4 now 10 what a punk...not like they have been on back order and just now getting caught up on drop ship but your the amazing one that got 10!

Drop dead...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Syrous44

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

With that many problems, it's odd that you're posting here with it instead of a computer.

lasty12

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Seriously bad luck on 10 faulty units!

I have just requested a swap on my first via Google directly due to speaker constantly buzzing and screen flickering in low light conditions.

Hoping the next is up to par!

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I would call him an isheep if I wasn't on my 3rd nexus 7. On top of the defects mentioned I'm getting an unresponsive touch screen when attempting the slide password. What this tablet is capable of at its price is amazing and I like it way better than my iPhone.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Can't edit on tapatalk (as far as I know), but yeah, I can't ignore the shoddy build quality and will probably ask for a complete refund and wait for maybe the next iteration of the Nexus 7. Thanks everyone for all the information you guys shared here. This forum is awesome!

joe122

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine in New Zealand about a week ago and have recently noticed that my screen has an awful flicker in low light conditions. I sent an e-mail to Harvey Norman and they are going to send me a replacement, I hope my new one won't have any defects...
Other than that I'm loving the nexus.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with mine, other than an occasional non responsive keyboard which I understand a software update should fix.

Last edited:

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that somewhere within the Google / Asus ranks, someone now is debating whether to commit ritual sepuku for offending you with their products.

Somehow, I don't think they'll miss you very much, and neither will we.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess I've just been one of the few lucky ones. Got mine from staples about a week or so ago and haven't had any issues. Does have some very very minor screen lift on the lefthand side, but to notice of you have to basically it your eyeball on the side of the device. Lol. Everything is fine here for me. Guess I got lucky. I do Belier OP is trolling though...but who knows.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was going to ask where OP is, but by now he's probably waiting for #16 to charge so he can come back to his thread.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs