iPad Air 2 vs. Nexus 9

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments! Not a chance, though. A 150 ppi dedicated device with slow page turns on light files (I don't even know if it could handle any of my PDFs) and only 2GB of storage would not tempt me at 1/2 the price. I loved my Kindle DX, and I wish they'd update it with the fabulous new screen tech and software they have, but I think e-ink readers and heavy PDF files are probably not going to be a thing for me in this lifetime. Glad to hear you like yours! But, I don't think it will work well for me.

The iPad is actually a big iPod, and that is kind of why it works for me, because it has phenomenal resolution and I can easily manipulate PDFs on it (the iPad 1, though, lacked sufficient RAM to even open my PDFs). The Air can even replace my computer for a lot of tasks. So, I'd say it is in an entirely different world than the Sony e-reader.

(at) Seth

Interesting idea. It sounds a little painful, as I have thousands of PDFs, and it would be quite troublesome to convert them every time I want them on my device, but I am glad to know that the option exists. These are the kinds of workarounds that can really come in handy!

At the moment, I am still on the fence. I suppose it comes down to OS, apps, and price now. The hardware on the Air 2 initially looked roughly equivalent, but now it seems that it has a lot more going for it. I am quite keen on Android, though, and I don't relish the thought of basically spending 200 dollars more to accomplish the same tasks (within my workflow). I'm going to talk with a colleague who is an expert on Android stuff (teaches computer science) and see what he thinks.

Well he might have Android bias. That's not good.

Posted via the Android Central App

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha. He definitely is a Windows / Android guy, which is good, because I learn a lot from him. I am not sure what he'll have to say about tablets, though, as he seems to be more involved with phones and watches at the moment.

Natasha Sinicky

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Without technical mumbo-jumbo, I would say that the Nexus 9 would be better. From what I've gathered on this thread, the specs are better, and usability is a little better. I use my nexus 7 for emulating and reading, and for my purposes, the android system is better than ios. Just my personal opinion.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I know, it's like comparing potatoes and orange juice, but please indulge me. I don't game. I don't do social media. I do work on my tablets -- reading PDFs (scanned books that are processor and memory intensive) and writing. I particularly value a crisp display, smooth operation (especially when flipping through PDFs), and a large screen size (for reading PDFs) in that order.

If there was a new Nexus 10, I wouldn't post here with questions at all, because I would buy it without hesitation, but with the Nexus 9, I am wondering if the relatively low ppi and smaller screen size will be an issue for me. I loved my Nexus 7, but it was just too small to get work done.

Anyhow, I am not terribly familiar with the K1 processor or the significance of 2GB of RAM. I also don't have a good sense of how much screen real estate I will be missing out on if I opt for a Nexus 9 over the iPad Air 2.

The iPad Air 2 has 2gb of ram and supposedly a 3 core cpu in it . Honestly if you have no qualms using iOS I think the iPad Air 2 is better because of the better res , bigger screen and more internal memory options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments! Not a chance, though. A 150 ppi dedicated device with slow page turns on light files (I don't even know if it could handle any of my PDFs) and only 2GB of storage would not tempt me at 1/2 the price. I loved my Kindle DX, and I wish they'd update it with the fabulous new screen tech and software they have, but I think e-ink readers and heavy PDF files are probably not going to be a thing for me in this lifetime. Glad to hear you like yours! But, I don't think it will work well for me.

The iPad is actually a big iPod, and that is kind of why it works for me, because it has phenomenal resolution and I can easily manipulate PDFs on it (the iPad 1, though, lacked sufficient RAM to even open my PDFs). The Air can even replace my computer for a lot of tasks. So, I'd say it is in an entirely different world than the Sony e-reader.

(at) Seth

Interesting idea. It sounds a little painful, as I have thousands of PDFs, and it would be quite troublesome to convert them every time I want them on my device, but I am glad to know that the option exists. These are the kinds of workarounds that can really come in handy!

At the moment, I am still on the fence. I suppose it comes down to OS, apps, and price now. The hardware on the Air 2 initially looked roughly equivalent, but now it seems that it has a lot more going for it. I am quite keen on Android, though, and I don't relish the thought of basically spending 200 dollars more to accomplish the same tasks (within my workflow). I'm going to talk with a colleague who is an expert on Android stuff (teaches computer science) and see what he thinks.

The new iPad has 2gb of ram which is confirmed in the tear down and bench marks

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me, either OS is fine. They have their good and bad points, of course, but I can't say I am wedded to either one. I tend to do iOS because they produce the large screen sizes, and I have zero interest in buying a non-Nexus product, because I've had bad luck with them in the past.

Anyhow, from what I am reading, the iPad is probably superior in almost every aspect if you are focusing on the specs. The ppi is lower and the weight is a little more, but ppi difference is probably not noticeable, and the weight comes from being a whole lot bigger.

In my case, it will probably come down to cost. I am unlikely to buy the Air 2. I might get the N9, though, because it is a much better value (nearly as nice specs with about a $200 better price than the iPad for me in Japan).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
For me, either OS is fine. They have their good and bad points, of course, but I can't say I am wedded to either one. I tend to do iOS because they produce the large screen sizes, and I have zero interest in buying a non-Nexus product, because I've had bad luck with them in the past.

Anyhow, from what I am reading, the iPad is probably superior in almost every aspect if you are focusing on the specs. The ppi is lower and the weight is a little more, but ppi difference is probably not noticeable, and the weight comes from being a whole lot bigger.

In my case, it will probably come down to cost. I am unlikely to buy the Air 2. I might get the N9, though, because it is a much better value (nearly as nice specs with about a $200 better price than the iPad for me in Japan).

Yeah you get more bang for your buck with the nexus 9 of course but if you can afford it the iPad Air 2 is amazing

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt the Air 2 is amazing. In fact, I just popped out of the house and took a look at it (the store down the street got one in today). I'd recommend it to anyone looking at a tablet at that size (if only the N10 had been updated, I'd recommend it).

To be absolutely honest, though, besides the gold color, I couldn't see the difference between it and my Air. I am sure if I spent more time with it I would see something, but I think that is enough to tell me that it isn't worth the upgrade. I would like a second tablet (a long story, but I actually get a lot of use out of tablets in my line of work, and my iPad comes home every day drained to about 10%), but I don't see the point in getting the Air 2. No excitement there. Sure wish I could see an N9 in person, though.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt the Air 2 is amazing. In fact, I just popped out of the house and took a look at it (the store down the street got one in today). I'd recommend it to anyone looking at a tablet at that size (if only the N10 had been updated, I'd recommend it).

To be absolutely honest, though, besides the gold color, I couldn't see the difference between it and my Air. I am sure if I spent more time with it I would see something, but I think that is enough to tell me that it isn't worth the upgrade. I would like a second tablet (a long story, but I actually get a lot of use out of tablets in my line of work, and my iPad comes home every day drained to about 10%), but I don't see the point in getting the Air 2. No excitement there. Sure wish I could see an N9 in person, though.
3 core cpu and 2gb of ram. Previous iPads have 1gb of ram and a dual core cpu

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep. A great tablet that I'd highly recommend, as I said, but for my use case (work, not games), not worth the upgrade from Air to Air 2.

We can't really compare the base models, because 16GB is really not enough to do much, so I am looking at a $200 price difference between the 32 GB N9 and the 64 GB Air 2. I don't really need 64 GB, though I guess I could figure out something to do with it. If the Air 2 came with a base model of 32 GB, I'd probably be leaning more towards the Air 2.

Is Touch ID worth that (to me)? No. An anti-reflective screen? No. The RAM and CPU? Maybe. But, in my brief testing in the store (downloading PDFs and flipping through them), I saw no noticeable difference. Again, if I had it for a few weeks under heavy loads, I might see something, but it doesn't look like it will be a $200 something.

That's just me. The N9 looks more interesting -- great specs at a more affordable price. Maybe by this time next month we will know more about it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yep. A great tablet that I'd highly recommend, as I said, but for my use case (work, not games), not worth the upgrade from Air to Air 2.

We can't really compare the base models, because 16GB is really not enough to do much, so I am looking at a $200 price difference between the 32 GB N9 and the 64 GB Air 2. I don't really need 64 GB, though I guess I could figure out something to do with it. If the Air 2 came with a base model of 32 GB, I'd probably be leaning more towards the Air 2.

Is Touch ID worth that (to me)? No. An anti-reflective screen? No. The RAM and CPU? Maybe. But, in my brief testing in the store (downloading PDFs and flipping through them), I saw no noticeable difference. Again, if I had it for a few weeks under heavy loads, I might see something, but it doesn't look like it will be a $200 something.

That's just me. The N9 looks more interesting -- great specs at a more affordable price. Maybe by this time next month we will know more about it.

2gb of ram helps with safari tabs quite a lot not going to help wit PDFs much . Anti reflective screen is even good in my house or anywhere that is a light source so it's good any way you out it unless you work I a dark cave lol

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
2gb of ram helps with safari tabs quite a lot not going to help wit PDFs much . Anti reflective screen is even good in my house or anywhere that is a light source so it's good any way you out it unless you work I a dark cave lol

I tend not to keep too many safari tabs open at a time, so I suppose I won't see a huge difference, but even ten or so on my Air 1 do just fine. The glare on my Air 1 hasn't ever bothered me. It's not that the Air 2 has any flaws. Rather, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the Air 1. And, I don't think the $200 price difference between it and the N9 is worth it. I suppose I have another month to think it over, though, don't I.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I tend not to keep too many safari tabs open at a time, so I suppose I won't see a huge difference, but even ten or so on my Air 1 do just fine. The glare on my Air 1 hasn't ever bothered me. It's not that the Air 2 has any flaws. Rather, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the Air 1. And, I don't think the $200 price difference between it and the N9 is worth it. I suppose I have another month to think it over, though, don't I.

You can trade in the iPad Air and get a min of $200 at bestbuy. I bought an iPad Air there and got an email that if I trade in my air 64gb I'll get a min of $360 of I trade it in toward an air 2

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That is an interesting deal. I think I can sell my 32GB wifi Air for about $350, so I might go that route. I was actually planning on having two tablets, though. I probably shouldn't call the new one, whatever I get, an "upgrade."

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yikes. It looks like Apple made it too thin.
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - [iPad] Air 2 Screen distoring when holding.

I'll try this out on one next time I am in a store. With the Air, I've got nothing but praise about the display and the device. It just works flawlessly. And, I don't mind the weight a bit. At this point, things are thin and light enough. We won't know for a while yet if the N9 will have display issues, but it seems unlikely to me judging by the reviews. This might make the display on the N9 superior overall - - better ppi and no distortion.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - [iPad] Air 2 Screen distoring when holding.

I'll try this out on one next time I am in a store. With the Air, I've got nothing but praise about the display and the device. It just works flawlessly. And, I don't mind the weight a bit. At this point, things are thin and light enough. We won't know for a while yet if the N9 will have display issues, but it seems unlikely to me judging by the reviews. This might make the display on the N9 superior overall - - better ppi and no distortion.

The distortion isn't a big deal. It occurs in a very special way of holding it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I think it's people,looking for a problem to complain about ....non issue

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. From the tone of the posts, the widespread recognition of the problem, and the evidence given, I'd say it is a "real" problem, especially if you hold the iPad a lot (I do). Unlike "Bendgate," I'd say this is actually an issue that would affect me, too. The display, for me, is the most important reason for purchasing it. Like I said, I'll go see for myself, but this makes me even less likely to "upgrade" to the Air 2.

I expect it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most folks who probably don't even hold it that way, and I don't think it will have a big impact on sales. From my perspective, though, the Air 1 is looking more and more like a superior device, or, at least, a better fit for me.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. From the tone of the posts, the widespread recognition of the problem, and the evidence given, I'd say it is a "real" problem, especially if you hold the iPad a lot (I do). Unlike "Bendgate," I'd say this is actually an issue that would affect me, too. The display, for me, is the most important reason for purchasing it. Like I said, I'll go see for myself, but this makes me even less likely to "upgrade" to the Air 2.

I expect it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most folks who probably don't even hold it that way, and I don't think it will have a big impact on sales. From my perspective, though, the Air 1 is looking more and more like a superior device, or, at least, a better fit for me.

Yet I have no issue ?

2gb of ram and 3 core cpu makes the iPad Air 2 the best iPad ever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox