Anyone else disappointed by the Nexus 9?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The old Nexus 10 was a 10 inch tablet with a 2560 x 1600 screen at $399.

The new Nexus 9 is a 9 inch tablet with a 2048 x 1536 screen at $399.

I understand the Nexus 9 has a better SoC (which is expected since it's two years newer) but the decrease in size and resolution for the same price, I can't help but scratch my head over.

Why Google?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I would say it is due to the faster SoC as you said --- They don't base prices solely on screen size and resolution. They base it on many other factors as well.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The old Nexus 10 was a 10 inch tablet with a 2560 x 1600 screen at $399.

The new Nexus 9 is a 9 inch tablet with a 2048 x 1536 screen at $399.

I understand the Nexus 9 has a better SoC (which is expected since it's two years newer) but the decrease in size and resolution for the same price, I can't help but scratch my head over.

Why Google?

Energy efficiency is better. Battery life is better. In hand feel is better. Weight is better. Display quality is better.

What's not better about the 9?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Screen size and price are at best loosely related. It's the internals that usually determine how much something costs.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Compare to my Nexus 7 2013, I would say no. I look forward to purchasing the Nexus 9.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I sure wouldn't be disappointed over the N9's screen resolution. No wireless Qi charging is disappointing but I can live without it. The N9's 2048 x 1536 screen is overkill especially when I remember my 55" HDTV is only 1920 × 1080. I sure wouldn't buy a Nexus 10 over a Nexus 9 even with it's 2560 x 1600 screen. Fact is I would buy another 2013 Nexus 7 over a Nexus 10 since the Nexus 7's 1920 x 1200 resolution is good enough for me even on the Nexus 9.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Energy efficiency is better. Battery life is better. In hand feel is better. Weight is better. Display quality is better.

What's not better about the 9?

Screen size is worse. Resolution is worse. Storage isn't better. No micro-HDMI port. No wireless charging. Price isn't better. And if I wanted a 4:3 tablet I'd get an iPad.

It's devolved as much as it has evolved. No sir I don't like it.

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
This year the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 seem content at being on par with the competition, instead of being better than the competition.

I'm getting a new tablet for myself this holiday season, and the Nexus 9... isn't it.

Maybe if it was sold at $299 I'd jump on it. But with its current specs and pricepoint, it just isn't worth it.

Nvidia Shield for me.

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I like my N7. It was one of the best buys I ever made. But now I want a tablet with a bigger screen, like 9 or 10 inches, and I don't know what to get. I'll wait and see the reviews for the N9 and the Apple. Is Samsung going to come out with something new? I have an old Samsung Galaxy 4.2" tablet that has been chugging along flawlessly (knock on wood - don't want to jinx it!) for years now.

Broner

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The price is a bit steep and/or storage is a bit low but I don’t get the fuss over the resolution or the screen size. A higher resolution is completely unnecessary (Apple certainly seems to think so) and it comes at the cost of battery life or thickness of the tablet. The 4:3 screen is much nicer unless you use a tablet mostly for watching videos (but still your movies will be displayed significantly bigger than on the Nexus 7). Also, the 4:3 screen currently sets it apart in the Android market, making it an especially interesting proposition for anyone who thinks that web browsing, reading documents, reading a newspaper and getting work done are more important than watching a film. And it’s still quite compact! This is something that I will want to put in my bag every day that I take the train to work.

I can understand though that this tablet is not everyone’s cup of tea, but for my needs it’s more interesting than any other tablet I’ve seen in the last couple of years. Finally a tablet that’s not like all the other Android tablets. Finally not more of the same.

If the reviews are really positive I'll go get it. Otherwise I'll go and do something that I thought I'd never do: buy an Ipad. The rest of the Android propositions are just not interesting to me. This Nexus 9 however is.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
The thing about the nexus 9 is it interests us iPad people...........I have returned the new iPad Air 2 to Apple and I've ordered the nexus 9 instead. This, for me is the first android tablet that has got my interest.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I like my N7. It was one of the best buys I ever made. But now I want a tablet with a bigger screen, like 9 or 10 inches, and I don't know what to get. I'll wait and see the reviews for the N9 and the Apple. Is Samsung going to come out with something new? I have an old Samsung Galaxy 4.2" tablet that has been chugging along flawlessly (knock on wood - don't want to jinx it!) for years now.

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 8 inch tablet for when I want the larger screen. For only an inch bigger than the n7 it sure seems alot bigger.

phoenix623

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you didn't understand...This discussion is about "Anyone disappointed by the Nexus 9". He/she KNOWS Nexus 9 won't have a SD card slot...

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you didn't understand...This discussion is about "Anyone disappointed by the Nexus 9". He/she KNOWS Nexus 9 won't have a SD card slot...

How can you be disappointed about something you know will NOT happen beforehand? It's kinda like eating a vegan meal and being upset/disappointed that it doesn't taste like bacon.