Nexus 9 : Owners sound off with your own reviews and thoughts.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I received my Nexus 9 yesterday. I do love it. I havent noticed any light bleed. Its fast and havent had or noticed any lag. But, the volume buttons are too flush with the edges of the device making it difficult to use them. I'm debating whether i should send it back and request a replacement. I will probably decide in a couple days after using it more to see if i can live with it or not.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Even coming from an old iPad 2, Nexus 9 has a really poor battery life to me. Use for internet browsing 80-90% of the time, and unfortunately this is the biggest heat generator and battery killer. Once it gets too hot, it will lag when returning to home screen. If lucky, I may get 5hrs SOT, if not about 4hrs, totally not tablet calibre.

Build quality wise mine do suffer from light bleed and flappy back, though the buttons felt ok to me ( the buttons really have minimal use for this tablet). But overall it's a beauty and I like its design.

Nevertheless I do like lollipop a lot and will not stay with iOS which felt really stale to me. But for anyone who can accept both iOS and Android, it's a no brainer that you should get an iPad instead of Nexus 9.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Battery is terrific. Two days at least connected, one day pretty decent use (no gaming)...so that's pretty good. I don't care about the power button since I don't use it. Two taps and you're on, and there are two great apps to shut down without it, too. The quality is great, speed is great, a bit smaller sized than the old Galaxy 10.1 we had, too. NO complaints.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I received my Nexus 9 yesterday. I do love it. I havent noticed any light bleed. Its fast and havent had or noticed any lag. But, the volume buttons are too flush with the edges of the device making it difficult to use them. I'm debating whether i should send it back and request a replacement. I will probably decide in a couple days after using it more to see if i can live with it or not.

Decided to try another N9. I ordered a replacement from Amazon. Which came last Thursday. I sent the replacement back because it had light bleeding in one of the corners. The volume keys worked better than my current device but it was barely noticeable. I guess I'll be keeping the one I have. I'm learning to accept the buttons as I really dont use them most of the time anyway. I'm usually connected wirelessly via bluetooth so i can adjust the sound on my ear buds anyway. Other than the volume keys, I have no real issues that make me want to return it. My backing was fine, didnt feel any give or flexing.

airship357

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Got a Nexus 9 for Christmas, Santa bought it from Best Buy. It had all the hardware issues, the flush buttons, light bleed, and crappy backing. This was my first tablet, and I'm not impressed so far. Guess I'll wait a couple months to see if Google/HTC get their **** together, but I don't have high hopes.

edit: according to htc.epicfoobar.com, mine was manufactured on 10/11, so that's probably why I have issues with this one.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Santa Brought me an amazingly perfect black 32GB Nexus 9. (I'm told he had Amazon send it via UPS.) Of course I've not had it but two days but so far I've seen none of the defects talked about here. The buttons even protrude for a good tactile feel and click nicely. I have no light bleed. The screen is stunningly gorgeous.

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Santa Brought me an amazingly perfect black 32GB Nexus 9. (I'm told he had Amazon send it via UPS.) Of course I've not had it but two days but so far I've seen none of the defects talked about here. The buttons even protrude for a good tactile feel and click nicely. I have no light bleed. The screen is stunningly gorgeous.
This! Had mine since Nov. Totally love it. Perfection. From best buy

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I get the price complaints ... Yes its priced higher than previous Nexus tablets but its at the same price point of the Nexus 10, and $200 cheaper than an iPad air 2. The retail cost is almost half that of a typical flagship phone, and the specs are premium.

As per build quality, there were issues early on with screens and rocker buttons, but the material choice and soft back are an aesthetic complaint.

For $399 (now $349) I challenge you to find a better AOSP 9" tablet on the market.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aryan Gupta

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I really like my Nexus 9. Have it for about 6 months now and its mostly been a good experience. Overall its an amazing tablet. There are some cons though. So listen up.
Note- All of the following cons are written on personal experience.
1.In the initial start up process, right out of the box it will tell you to update your software. All well and good until you realize that the update is moving at snails pace. It gets stuck. My solution to this is to switch wifi networks.
2. It will get HOT! It gets really hot sometimes during gaming and sometimes even while browsing on chrome (blame chrome for this one. It uses a lot of resources).
3. Sometimes it gets laggy when the battery saver in on and the battery is below 15%.

Verdict- AMAZING TABLET. Looks are killer and people stare and ask about it when they see it. Would definitely recommend.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I got a Nexus 9 about a month ago with HTC was running a one day sale for $239 for the 16GB model but I paid a little more for the 32GB model.

I was expecting it to be a battery hog and run hot. No light bleend, no build quality issues. It isn't as good as my wife's Samsung Tab S 10.5 screen but I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of this Nexus 9. It works great and battery lasts for several hours playing games that matches the Samsung Tab S playing the same game. Plus N9 charges pretty fast. The N9 is light years better than my older N7 both the 2012 and 2013 versions.

My only issue is the screen sensitivity playing games like Clash of Clans that seems to be slow to recognize a quick touch. Sure wish it had the option to increase the touch sensitivity. Other than that I love this N9.

Karibou Sky

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I received a Nexus 9 as a Christmas present. Turned it on. Ran through the updates. The Marshmallow update was the last of four or five updates in a row. It runs fast and smooth enough for me. I'm loving it. :)
(I do realize that those who have gone before me had to experience the pre-android 6.0 update.)

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus 9 off of Amazon earlier this week, and I'm loving it! It's a nice size, comparable to my daughter's iPad Air, but best of all it's a Nexus tablet running Android! Thought I was buying a WiFi model, but was quite surprised when I opened the box to find that it was the LTE model. I've been using it without a SIM card in it with no issues so far. Been debating over whether or not to get a SIM card and some pre-paid Data plan, but haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

The one weird thing is that the AC charger for it is on of the European style chargers and not what we use here in the USA. Though it did come with an adapter so that I am able to charge the device with the supplied charger. Tried charging it on my RavPower 4 port wall charger, but it took forever when using one of the 1 amp ports, and the 2 amp port was marginally faster. Using the supplied charger, this thing charged up in no time it seemed.

Overall I'm well pleased with the device and would recommend this to anyone looking for a good tablet.

Toeduster

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Have had my Nexus 8 about 3 days and am enjoying it very much.

Charge time is my only issue. Unit came with a Samsung 5V 1A charger (Identical to my Galaxy S3 charger). Just received an ECO USB 5V 1.5A charger I purchased online in hopes of a faster charge.

Have experienced a bit of touch in sensitivity but it cleared up with a browser refresh.

Much faster than my Nexus 7 (2013) which was running like new on Marshmallow until about a month ago when touch screen started having serious issues.

No screen bleed or build issues. Using a device wear case as the design worked very well with my Nexus 7.

Hoping to stay, a happy camper

ansm

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I own it several months.

It is fast. Great screen. I love aspect ratio of it's screen.
But i wish to have a ability to use an external SD card.

No build problems, except one: back coating begins to peel of on corners.

wshwe

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 9 also came with a European style charger. I looked up the model number and realized it was the Russian model. I bought the tablet from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. When I purchased it I assumed I would get the US model. This shows that some 3rd party Amazon sellers can't be trusted. I decided to keep it because the unit didn't have any of the issues I read about online.

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 9 also came with a European style charger. I looked up the model number and realized it was the Russian model. I bought the tablet from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. When I purchased it I assumed I would get the US model. This shows that some 3rd party Amazon sellers can't be trusted. I decided to keep it because the unit didn't have any of the issues I read about online.

How did you find that out? I've tried several Google searches and can't find anything for figuring out what model numbers are for what areas. I did find out that my Nexus 9 was made in January 2015.

wshwe

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't fully remember how I found out. Mine is either Russian or Eastern European. I do remember looking up how many different Nexus 9 models Google sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze