Nexus 9, overhyped flop

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Possibly moving out old stock - the first batches with slight build quality issues..?..

Exactly what I was thinking. Amazon is tricky like that. I got an n7 16gb from them when it was on sale for $189 I think and it came with 4 or 5 of the box sealing stickers (one over the other) on it. also the sticker on the end with the model info etc. Was 3 or 4 deep. I opened it up and the thing had more light bleed than normal screen (horrible). I sent it right back.

Someone else probably got it a week later. I swear they do this until they find someone who just accepts it and says nothing.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just received a 32GB LTE model from T-Mobile. Build quality seems just fine. Not finding any lag (yet). Took it on a day trip to Chicago from NYC. Battery lasted all day and then some, Microsoft apps for android are WAY better than MS apps for windows tablets (still scratching my head on that one), and...big advantage over iPad...I can use a mouse! Yes, it's touchscreen...but for some of us having the mouse options is pretty awesome. Time will tell but I'm pretty happy so far...might become my favorite travel companion over and above my Surface Pro 3 (which sucks on airplanes because of the extended length of the kickstand).

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just received a 32GB LTE model from T-Mobile. Build quality seems just fine. Not finding any lag (yet). Took it on a day trip to Chicago from NYC. Battery lasted all day and then some, Microsoft apps for android are WAY better than MS apps for windows tablets (still scratching my head on that one), and...big advantage over iPad...I can use a mouse! Yes, it's touchscreen...but for some of us having the mouse options is pretty awesome. Time will tell but I'm pretty happy so far...might become my favorite travel companion over and above my Surface Pro 3 (which sucks on airplanes because of the extended length of the kickstand).

I also own both a Nexus 9 and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I like them both for different reasons. But for real work the Surface Pro 3 is simply in a different league.

Michael Saxon

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I also own both a Nexus 9 and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I like them both for different reasons. But for real work the Surface Pro 3 is simply in a different league.

Totally agree. The sp3 is an actual PC...I love bringing a tablet on trips where I'm only doing mail, notes, and other consumption.

Posted via the Android Central App

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
one thing you might find useful is the speech to text conversion because it operates actually very fast on this device. So even though this doesn't come with the keyboard normally although you can attach to USB or Bluetooth one using this conversion you can respond to posts pretty quickly.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the 16 to 32gb upgrade price still bugs me should be no more than a $50 where its sensible and they make money. I don't think it was an overhyped flop mainly because Outside of the blogs that reported on it, there really wasn't a ton of hype to bring this thing out. just a premium pricetag the K1 & HTC being involved. The main hype is what we put in our heads because well Google.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think Nexus 9 is a great and a powerful Android tablet but i think the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 will be even better then the Nexus 9 because it is a lot more powerful and has a bigger sceen(9.7 inch and 4:3 aspect ratio), and lots more and is definitely a true competitor to the ipad!! :)

Last edited:

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung tablet will need a faster processor to compensate for TouchWiz's bloat.

Also, 9.7 screen is getting a bit too big, in my opinion. The Nexus 9 is as large as I feel a tablet for around the house needs to be. But then again, to each his own.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung tablet will need a faster processor to compensate for TouchWiz's bloat.

Yeah but this year Samsung have made Touchwiz a lot more smoother, faster and taken a lot of bloatware of it.

Look at the Samsung Galaxy S6 phone!!!

So Exynos 5433 which is a octa core and is all so very powerful so it will be do fine and won't have any problems on Touchwiz. :)

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Nexus 9 is a great and a powerful Android tablet but i think the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 will be even better then the Nexus 9 because it is a lot more powerful and has a bigger sceen(9.7 inch and 4:3 aspect ratio), and lots more and is definitely a true competitor to the ipad!! :)

Preliminary supposed benchmarks for S2 is about 53/54000 on Antutu while Nexus 9 is around 55000. The Exynos is last generations unit, so it won't be much faster than Nexus if at all. The 8 cores will make it better for multitasking and switching. However, Nexus 9 runs games pretty well, such as God Fire Rise of Prometheus, etc... it's GPU is still a bit better.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe now that Google will be a leaner, meaner company more dedicated to consumer product they will come out with a wider range of tablets with better specs(64-bit processor, wireless charging, mini-form factor, USB Type C connector).