The Nexus 9 is totally Awesome

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I played with my friends Nexus 9 (32GB black) last night for about 3 hours. He loves his Nexus 9 and so do I. His Nexus 9 has No light bleed issues anywhere and we were in a outside patio sports bar at night when I checked it. Also, no soft flexible spot on the back of the tablet that moved at all. The Nexus 9 seem as fast or faster than my wife's three month old $500 Samsung Tab Tab S 10.5 (16GB) with it's Exynos 5 Octa 5420 Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7. Even with a few games and other application process running in the background it seem very quick.

The Wi-Fi connected fast to the bars Wi-Fi and was solid. Since I have a two 16:9 Nexus 7 (2012 retired, 2013) and use my wife's Sammy Tab S with it's 16:10 aspect ratio. The 4:3 aspect ratio on the Nexus 9 really stood out the entire time to me as different. Not that is was bad or great it just was always sticking out that it had a different view than my other three Tablets. The N9's 4:3 aspect ratio seems better on games, pictures and reading online text but if movies are your thing then the 16:9/:10 aspect was better. This is a personal choice so it is hard to describe but I guess it depends on what you want to use it on. I mainly watch YouTube stuff on the Tablet but I cast any Hollywood movie to my much larger 55" HDTV set to watch a movie. The Nexus 9 would be fine for me watching a movie on a commercial jet but no tablet will ever replace a HDTV at home or in a hotel with my Chromecast.

The Nexus 9 screen has more natural colors than my wife's Tab S with it's Super AMOLED display that has more Neon saturated colors. However for games the AMOLED looks better with the over saturated deeper colors. For normal personal pictures I like the Nexus 9 for more natural colors and the 4:3 aspect just looks better for pictures of people. Both the Nexus 9 and Sammy Tab S have very good displays but on the same game you could zoom in more with the Nexus 9 to see more detail even with the smaller Nexus 9 screen. I assume this is due to the 4:3 aspect ratio you see more of the game on the screen than on the 16:9 and 16:10 devices tablets.

The Nexus 9 feels premium to me even compared to the Samsung Tab S that is a little thinner but little heaver since neither feels that different in you hand. Then again I always keep my Android devices in a case so I'm not trying to show off my device to impress other people with the bling bling value of going naked like people that are always stuck on Premium opinions. I buy a device for using it not to impress other people and I want to protect my investment with a case.

I almost never found the tiny power button but showed my friend that owned the N9 about the double Tap that eliminates most of the need for the power button except to power off instead of letting it time out. My friends only issue was that even though the Nexus 9 last him all day with his normal use he feels the battery life could be better. I told him about Google project Volta and that it may not be fully complete in his version of Lollypop.

I am waiting on the Sand color Nexus 9 since I do think they have some build issues just like the Nexus 5 as they ramp up production for the Nexus 9. I think since my friends unit and others on this board are good builds there are some early manufacturing issues that will be resolved in a short time. Lucky if you got a bad Nexus 9 build unit they will replace it. Also, I had to buy a new HDTV last week so need a few more pay checks to get a new toy since my replacement Nexus 7 (2013) is only 3 months old.

Bottom line is I would prefer the Nexus 9 over my wife's Samsung Tab S 10.5 since it fits my needs and use better. I get frustrated by TouchWiz and 64 bits CPU just has my full attention as Lollypop brings the 64bit Android era. Both are great tablets however but the Nexus 9 will get Android updates faster and with Lollypop there will be a lot of updates coming in this new generation of Android.

Last edited:

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel much the same about my Nexus 9, a black 32 GB. It's great!

While I do have a tiny bit of light bleed and one small area on the back that will creak if I poke at it, neither issue is anything that will bother me. Otherwise, my tablet has been fast and smooth. Battery life was an initial concern, but it seemed to have improved yesterday, so it may just need a little time.

I think those who have gotten bad builds should return, wait it out a month or two, try again. Or exchange. Presuming you can live with the aspect ratio and power button design.

Speakers are OK, not a great sound experience, but passable. I don't do a lot of movies or video, so not a huge concern for me. I bought this for screen size and performance and it is delivering so far! Thought I might be disappointed in the bump down in screen resolution from Nexus 7/10, but it is fine!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
IAlso, no soft flexible spot on the back of the tablet that moved at all.

Then his unit is defective. That spot is there by design, and should be there.

There is a reason the back is not attached to the battery, and there is airspace there. All I can get out of the people who built it is that it is not there for heat dissipation. But it is there.

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

There is a reason the back is not attached to the battery, and there is airspace there. All I can get out of the people who built it is that it is not there for heat dissipation. But it is there.

Hi Jerry, thanks for chiming in!

I've had two N9's so far. The one that I am currently holding does have a soft spot on the back when I press with just a little give. I can tell that there is indeed some hollow space between the battery and the back of the unit but I actually have to press to detect it.

The one that I took back actually felt loose and floppy, almost like an inner tube with a little air let out of it. I did not have to look for it as it was very evident with even the lightest touch.

In your understanding which of these scenarios is what was intended by HTC?

Posted via the Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm not saying it was hard as a rock to my touch like the back of my 2013 Nexus 7 that has no play or movement. It's hard to describe. The best I can describe it was something like pushing your thumb on a fresh picked orange that is firm but gives a tiny bit but not really anything like soft or mushy feel. All I am trying to say it wasn't spongy soft and was firm but not really hard. It isn't something I wouldn't even have notice any issues if everyone that reviewed the N9 hadn't gone out of the way to point it out like a manufacturing defect.

I only felt warmth from near the camera not the center back over the battery. BTW, love your stuff on the Pod Cast and I trust your opinion a lot. Thanks for telling me the center back was the design not a manufacturing issue. There wasn't much visual movement you could see with your eye laying flat on the bar compared to some of the video's like this with much more visual movement of this N9 video;

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
@Sctolac and Shilohcane

Phil's N9 is totally flappy. The inner tube analogy fits well. Mine has a lot less travel, but still moves and ticks against the battery when tapped.

If I had to guess, and I do, at the purpose it would be that there is no real purpose. It's a by-product of having a thin plastic shell that's thermoformed, and only connected at the edges.

Attaching the cover at the center of the back with a dab of adhesive would fix every issue, but that would increase costs and likely make removing the cover without damaging it impossible. Factor in that every single cover is going to be slightly different in both thickness and size, some will sit higher off the battery than others.

My worry was that airspace was required for thermal reasons. I've verified that it isn't. A flappy back may feel a little weird, and I can't knock anyone for hating on it, but it should make zero difference in the operation of the tablet.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the different colored backs are made from different material that has a different amount of flex. My white unit has no flex in the back. Also no fingerprints. On the downside the finish is smooth and not as sticky as my black nexus 7 2013. If I tilt the unit 20 degrees it will slide off my palm.

Last edited:

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, was just playing some Golf Star, battery has dropped quite a bit, much more so than would happen on my Nexus 7. Still a bit concerned on that aspect. I'm at 42% after only 3 hours of use and not all of that use was the game. I can say that the unit gets no warmer than my other devices when playing games so far, a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
@Sctolac and Shilohcane

Phil's N9 is totally flappy. The inner tube analogy fits well. Mine has a lot less travel, but still moves and ticks against the battery when tapped.

When I tap mine I can't feel or see any movement, but when I tap it sharply I can hear a slight click that I don't hear elsewhere on the tablet back. That must mean that there is SOME gap, but so little that I have a hard time even seeing the movement. I am guessing that this is what they were going for, and some of the units got there and some didn't.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got around to opening mine and I love it. Only three small spots where there is some light bleed (It would've taken me a long time to notice if people hadn't brought it up), but there's no give on the back and mine just gets warm not scalding hot like others have said.

HT4AJ, White 16GB if that matters to anyone.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Finally got the opportunity to see the N9 up close and personal at Best Buy last night. I messed with the demo unit for about 15-20 mins. Couldn't try out the light bleed since there were too many lights on, however, I did push the rear of the tablet to see how bad the movement is. I have to say, I don't see what the big deal is. So the rear can be pushed in a bit by your finger, who is going to do this on a regular basis? Besides, once a case is available, I'll probably put it in a case.

I really liked the screen resolution and the 4:3 aspect ratio was perfect! I tried out websites I had issues viewing on my N7 2013 tablet and it was flawless! The speed of the OS was very nice and I really liked how Lollypop handles multitasking windows. Reminds me of Time Machine on OSX. Really enjoyed the tapping of the screen to wake the tablet up and didn't see any issues with the side buttons (power and volume rocker).

The sound was great! Especially coming from the N7, I thought it was very good. I have to admit, I never experienced the HTC One, so I don't know how it compares. But all in all, no complaints.

Once the "Sand" version of the N9 becomes available, I'm on it!

J

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Received my white N9 yesterday and there is absolutely no movement in the back. Pressing on the back and there is NO dip and it does not dip in, at all. Kind of surprised. I was expecting a little dip, but I got nothing.

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
There are some good reviews on Amazon. Some people love it, some don't. What's inside underneath that squooshy back, and what happens if it accidentally gets pushed harder?

kpiontek

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally got the opportunity to see the N9 up close and personal at Best Buy last night. I messed with the demo unit for about 15-20 mins. Couldn't try out the light bleed since there were too many lights on, however, I did push the rear of the tablet to see how bad the movement is. I have to say, I don't see what the big deal is. So the rear can be pushed in a bit by your finger, who is going to do this on a regular basis? Besides, once a case is available, I'll probably put it in a case.
I tell you what the big deal is, it greatly depends on what you will get. For the unit that I picked up from BestBuy, the back gave in 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus sign without major pressure. So just picking it up and holding it would do that and I noticed every time I picked it up.
Yes, a case would fix it but you sound like Steve Jobs during Antennagate :"You're holding it wrong".
But for me the deciding factor to return the Nexus 9 was light bleed, very pronounced on the left hand side. And yes, I compared with my N7 2013 and my wife's iPad Air and the Nexus 9 was not in the same league as even the N7.
HTC/Google price the Nexus 9 at a premium and as such the quality has to match, and in my case it clearly did not.
And enough people had a similar experience that I'd be worried buying one right now. Look at Amazon reviews, I'm not alone
For $100 less I'd say fine, but not for the current asking price, unless HTC sort out their issues (quality control).
I don't like to waste my time playing Nexus 9 roulette.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I tell you what the big deal is, it greatly depends on what you will get. For the unit that I picked up from BestBuy, the back gave in 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus sign without major pressure. So just picking it up and holding it would do that and I noticed every time I picked it up.
Yes, a case would fix it but you sound like Steve Jobs during Antennagate :"You're holding it wrong".
But for me the deciding factor to return the Nexus 9 was light bleed, very pronounced on the left hand side. And yes, I compared with my N7 2013 and my wife's iPad Air and the Nexus 9 was not in the same league as even the N7.
HTC/Google price the Nexus 9 at a premium and as such the quality has to match, and in my case it clearly did not.
And enough people had a similar experience that I'd be worried buying one right now. Look at Amazon reviews, I'm not alone
For $100 less I'd say fine, but not for the current asking price, unless HTC sort out their issues (quality control).
I don't like to waste my time playing Nexus 9 roulette.

Totally understand your stance and if you are experiencing that much give in the back of the N9, you should return it. The demo model I played with had very little push and I had to force my thumb into it for it to bend. And, yes, price should dictate a higher quality device.

J

Binh Lam

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear that yours didn't have lightbleed. That is really the only gripe with my Nexus 9 which I will be exchanging. The back flex exists on mine but its no big deal for me. The the travel of the flex is under 1mm; anyone that says more than 1mm is just exaggerating or its a manufacturing fluke defect. The flex issue also existed on the Nexus 5 which didn't bother me either.

When your wife's Galaxy Tab S gets a Lollipop upgrade (hopefully by the end of the year), I would love to hear a follow up comparison from you between the two devices.

kpiontek

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Why are people always so quick to dismiss other peoples observation? I could have taken a video measuring the force it takes and the distance the back travels and people would still believe it was made up or dismiss it as an anomaly. I know how much 2-3 mm is and it was that much.
The point I'm trying to make is every review from Jerry's here on AndroidCentral to others has had some give in the back. Why is it so hard to believe that there is substantial variation in the extend of the phenomenon? The same with light bleed. Jerry was probably kind in his otherwise fair review, and I found the others to be fair as well. And it all comes down to QC. And if QC missed these easy to spot things or dismissed them as unimportant/acceptable what else did they miss/dismiss?
WiFi issues, SoC overheating, battery problems? People that consider purchasing the Nexus 9 should keep that in mind that even if you get a visually perfect, it might have other problems. Even with good quality control you would have about 1% of problematic units out there but if review sites like AndroidCentral receive units like that, I'm concerned, and frankly you should be, too.
I liked the Nexus 9 but it wasn't/isn't worth the asking price. I hope HTC rectifies these quality issues but it probably isn't worth it at this point. Given the bad press the Nexus 9 received, I'm convinced HTC checks it off as another failed attempt in the tablet market.
I hope Nvidia takes pride in their 64bit SoC and steps up to make something worthy purchasing. This isn't it for the asking price, and for me at this point I'd only consider it if it were considerably cheaper, at least $150 cheaper.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Why are people always so quick to dismiss other peoples observation? I could have taken a video measuring the force it takes and the distance the back travels and people would still believe it was made up or dismiss it as an anomaly. I know how much 2-3 mm is and it was that much.
The point I'm trying to make is every review from Jerry's here on AndroidCentral to others has had some give in the back. Why is it so hard to believe that there is substantial variation in the extend of the phenomenon? The same with light bleed. Jerry was probably kind in his otherwise fair review, and I found the others to be fair as well. And it all comes down to QC. And if QC missed these easy to spot things or dismissed them as unimportant/acceptable what else did they miss/dismiss?
WiFi issues, SoC overheating, battery problems? People that consider purchasing the Nexus 9 should keep that in mind that even if you get a visually perfect, it might have other problems. Even with good quality control you would have about 1% of problematic units out there but if review sites like AndroidCentral receive units like that, I'm concerned, and frankly you should be, too.
I liked the Nexus 9 but it wasn't/isn't worth the asking price. I hope HTC rectifies these quality issues but it probably isn't worth it at this point. Given the bad press the Nexus 9 received, I'm convinced HTC checks it off as another failed attempt in the tablet market.
I hope Nvidia takes pride in their 64bit SoC and steps up to make something worthy purchasing. This isn't it for the asking price, and for me at this point I'd only consider it if it were considerably cheaper, at least $150 cheaper.

I'm curious about your opinion. If you don't mind me asking, what about the Nexus 9 do you feel isn't worth the asking price? For example, is it some of the issues regarding the construction and assembly defects (i.e., lightbleed, chassis flex, etc) or is it more along the lines of the hardware specs and features not meeting expectations based on the asking price?