Nexus 9 lag. Is it just me?

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Does your Nexus 9 lag? For me it seems to have 1-2 second delay when every I switch, start up, shutdown/”home button,” apps. I have a nexus 7 2013, and don't remember it doing that at all. (I only used the nexus 7 for a couple of months after it first came out, because I dropped it and cracked the screen. I am relatively new to Android so please pardon my word use...)

Once an app starts, the app itself seems to run great.

Any advice on improving things? Or is there something faulty with my device?

Thanks,

Posted via the Android Central App

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup, not just you. When it gets really hot, it can even take 3-4 secs to return to home screen

Yeah what's up with that? I've noticed it too, it seems to get worse over usage time, and almost seems like the home app restarts as it redraws icons when it transitions out.

Its a clean sleek device, but with all the specs it really shouldn't be this laggy, its got to be OEM issues as my N6 is just fine.

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 9 will be plagued with bugs with new versions, look at the iPads when they got iOS7, some were unusuable, just something you've unfortunately got to deal with being a 'beta tester'. Google uses this method a lot unfortunately.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 9 release wouldn't make us a beta user, especially when it rolled with Lollipop. I'm experiencing this too and it's definitely a noticeable annoyance.

Hopefully it gets resolve in 5.0.2.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 9 release wouldn't make us a beta user, especially when it rolled with Lollipop. I'm experiencing this too and it's definitely a noticeable annoyance.

Hopefully it gets resolve in 5.0.2.

Hopefully it can be solved in software and is not due to hardware limitation. Just can't understand why Nexus 9 only come with 2gb ram while Nexus 6 got 3, and similarly for the storage.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the recent apps behavior is different under lollipop.
For 1, you can now see apps listed that are from before you turned on the tablet, which I didn't see in Kit Kat. So some apps will be slower to re-launch simply because they are actually launching for the first time.
Another difference I've noticed: apps from my current tablet session aren't always restored to the exact same state I left them in. It implies the apps are being restarted from scratch (and we know lollipop media is heavily encrypted). So as much as I'd prefer Kit Kat style app caching, the complete restarts seem convincingly fast.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It implies the apps are being restarted from scratch (and we know lollipop media is heavily encrypted)

To that point, can you disable the encryption layer in 5.0+? I've not seen a way from simple setting browsing. Would be a good "test"

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
To that point, can you disable the encryption layer in 5.0+? I've not seen a way from simple setting browsing. Would be a good "test"

Help says
"Important: On Nexus 6 and Nexus 9, encryption can't be turned off. On other Nexus devices, you can turn off encryption but will need to perform a factory data reset, which erases all your data."

So it may be a developer option or just not available. There have been articles discussing slow performance on Nexus 6 possibly due to encryption.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I did slow down animation to .5x and wiped cache. It seems to not do the home switch lag it once did before esp when coming out of hefty apps like Play Music or Netflix.

Overall I'm not disappointed nor notice significant lag, I don't doubt its a software tweak that'll come. My Droid Turbo is flawless on 4.4.4 and I expected tweaking on 5.0 to settle by 5.1 release hopefully.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
There is an bug report on 5.0 and 5.01 of a severe memory leak. It is preventing applications from releasing memory correctly and thus resulting in systems running out of memory. When you shutdown and reboot the performance issues temporarily disappear.

kingofkats

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
There is an bug report on 5.0 and 5.01 of a severe memory leak. It is preventing applications from releasing memory correctly and thus resulting in systems running out of memory. When you shutdown and reboot the performance issues temporarily disappear.

This makes a lot of sense, as I too have seen performance start out lickety-split only to degrade in the course of an hour, on my Lollipop-native Nexus 9. No reviewers have warned of this, so I'm thinking it's probably a memory leak associated with specific apps. Really nasty.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I never saw the big issues everyone else was reporting but I'm also not an app *****, if I don't use an app in 1-2mo I delete it. I think there was some issues early on, but 5.0.1 seemed to make things better for me and over time the usage caught up and things have been humming. Like all things, a reboot helps from time to time, you don't leave your laptop on for a month at a time with apps backgrounded indenfitiely so why would a tablet.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Memory leak issues. I find I have to shutdown apps before the performance goes back up again. Hoping 5.1 will resolve

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed over the last month or so sluggish performance on my device. There are times my apps freeze forcing me to shut them down in order to restart them. Also, the home screen has flashed at times whereas only the icons show and the background is black. Here's hoping the update solves this issue too!

J