Can I get some help setting up my Pop3 email account on my Nexus 9?

Robert Grasso

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Trouble setting up pop3 email account on Nexus 9

Hello,

Trying to set up a pop3 email account on a new Nexus 9. I've set this same account up dozens of times on other devices but cannot get it to work on this tablet. All other setups use no security type and port 110 for incoming and 25 for outgoing but I'm just getting a vague error that it cannot connect.

I've been using Gmail on a Windows machine for well over a year with this pop3 email account so I know it works.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trouble setting up pop3 email account on Nexus 9

Have you tried letting the phone set the account up by itself? That usually works. (If the account itself is set for POP3, the phone will set it up as POP3.)

Robert Grasso

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

This is a Nexus 9 Tablet, not a phone. There is a specific workflow to setting up an account where you can enter pop3 email account information. I don't believe I understand your suggestion, "...letting the phone set the account by itself..."

alganon

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Put in the incoming server first with the port used by your isp and their security setting . Then put in the outgoing server (it goes to the next screen) and I had to use the settings that came up by default and not the settings from my isp .
Worked for me . After 3 hrs back and forth with Google and my isp .

Barry (Dinosaur)

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue I just went into gmail settings and added account. Set it up rather quick.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robert Grasso

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Thank you for the reply, I wasn't able to get it work with Gmail and Lollipop which has changed since the previous version of the OS. The only solution was to use a 3rd party email app which worked perfectly. I did call Google BTW and I don't know if I just got a dud of a customer rep but she refused to help me claiming Gmail is a free app therefore they don't support it. Her next suggestion was to reinstall the app which I thought was a waste of time and a useless suggestion considering the device was brand new out of the box.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I found using a third part app is definitely the way to go. K-9, Kaiten or Aquamail are all decent and allow account settings backup so moving all your app settings to a new device is trivial. Personally I settled on Aquamail because it had the least bugs I've noticed.