How to tell build date

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way (through the serial number or elsewhere) to know the build date of an n9?

I have read how to tell with various other tablets, but there doesn't seem to be any info about this regarding the n9.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Based on Pocketnow via Reddit : HT4A indicates*construction*in October, while HT4B would mean November

http://pocketnow.com/2014/11/28/nexus-9-buttons

My first Nexus 9 was RMA'd through Amazon contained HT4A which had significantly more light bleed than the replacement they just sent, HT4B. Not 100% satisfied with it so I'll give it a few days before I decide if it's going back.

Posted via the Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
When did you receive the HT4B? I just received mine that I ordered 3 or 4 days ago (when it was on sale for $349) and it is an HT4A. I haven't even opened it yet. It seems like amazon had that brief sale just to get rid of the older batch? When you requested your exchange was the tablet still on sale?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife ordered mine from Amazon Prime the week before Christmas. Mine is HT4A. It has a slight hint of light bleed the entire length of the top and is totally uniform the entire length. The only way to see it is to study it from an extreme angle. I never look at it at that angle, so for me, after using it every day for almost a month, it's without a doubt a keeper. I really like it and am 100% satisfied.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
When did you receive the HT4B? I just received mine that I ordered 3 or 4 days ago (when it was on sale for $349) and it is an HT4A. I haven't even opened it yet. It seems like amazon had that brief sale just to get rid of the older batch? When you requested your exchange was the tablet still on sale?

Got the replacement on Monday the 19th. The first one arrived Friday the 16th. Went through the exchange process online Monday, Amazon delivered same day. I checked right after it went through and the price was bumped to $399. Lucked out I guess if I keep it.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
My wife ordered mine from Amazon Prime the week before Christmas. Mine is HT4A. It has a slight hint of light bleed the entire length of the top and is totally uniform the entire length. The only way to see it is to study it from an extreme angle. I never look at it at that angle, so for me, after using it every day for almost a month, it's without a doubt a keeper. I really like it and am 100% satisfied.

Its good to know that yours is a first build. I know you have always spoke highly of it on here.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I just went into settings - about tablet - status & checked my serial number. Its an HT4B. I'm glad its the 2nd build/batch.
This N9 (not my N7) has the lunar white back 16GB with minimal light bleed & decent buttons. Like I had said elsewhere, if I had never read about these issues I'd probably never have really noticed them...
All in all still no complaints - Give me Nexus or Nothing!!)

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I just went into settings - about tablet - status & checked my serial number. Its an HT4B. I'm glad its the 2nd build/batch.
This N7 has the lunar white back 16GB with minimal light bleed & decent buttons. Like I had said elsewhere, if I had never read about these issues I'd probably never have really noticed them...
All in all still no complaints - Give me Nexus or Nothing!!)

I have the HT4A build, however, don't have many of the problems others have had. Only a bit of light bleed, nothing else. Gotta say, I am SO happy with my tablet... And Nexus!!

J

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

How are your volume and power buttons?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
How are your volume and power buttons?
I've read where some say their volume and power buttons are flush with the side, difficult to find and mushy to press. Mine are easy to feel and find. They have a solid click when pressed. I have no complaints with them. How are yours?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've read where some say their volume and power buttons are flush with the side, difficult to find and mushy to press. Mine are easy to feel and find. They have a solid click when pressed. I have no complaints with them. How are yours?

They are easy to find and click pretty good but it is hard to press because they protrude so little. I have to align my finger just right and kinda prepare to press it if you know what i mean. Much easier to use with a finger nail than my actual finger. They are workable but it will take some time to get used to. I donr want to return it just for this. They definitely are not as tactile as the buttons on the n7 though.

BTW in some of my earlier posts I think I was a little harsh on my criticism of the n9. I actually like this tablet. Mine seems much better quality than the display model in best buy that I looked at. I have a little light bleed, but nothing crazy, also the little gap between back plate and internals of the tablet is no big deal and doesnt bother me at all. Lollipop is also starting to grow on me a little.
I do still feel it is slightly overpriced though. Would have been nice to see the 16gb for $339-$369.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I really like mine too. I've got 5 more days to return to Amazon, but mine isn't going anywhere. It's a keeper.

I thoroughly enjoy my Kindle book collection. The format really works well for reading. My Kindle magazine subscriptions are gorgeous.

And the size is great for my Interactive Brokers trading platform and reading my Investors Business Daily newspaper subscription.

I now much prefer the size over my 2013 Nexus 7. I thought it was perfect for reading but the N9 is better. And of course lower prices are always welcome.

And I should add that in over a month of ownership, I've never had the slightest urge to punch in the back!

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I really like mine too. I've got 5 more days to return to Amazon, but mine isn't going anywhere. It's a keeper.

I thoroughly enjoy my Kindle book collection. The format really works well for reading. My Kindle magazine subscriptions are gorgeous.

And the size is great for my Interactive Brokers trading platform and reading my Investors Business Daily newspaper subscription.

I now much prefer the size over my 2013 Nexus 7. I thought it was perfect for reading but the N9 is better. And of course lower prices are always welcome.

And I should add that in over a month of ownership, I've never had the slightest urge to punch in the back!

Great feedback. I just returned my replacement 9 and opted for the Shield tablet. Needless to say, I wish I had kept the 9. The Shield has been quite laggy and unresponsive at times . Wifi has been spotty, power and home buttons are garbage, far worse than the first Nexus 9 I returned. A factory reset after a software update did nothing for me and I've had about enough.

I plan on returning the Shield and either go back to the Nexus 9 or grab a refurbed 32GB 7.

calvol

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Just got the N9 for $329 from Staples, HT4ÀR, Oct27 build. Buttons seem revised, and some light bleed in the corners, not bad at all, may keep it, unless I can find an iPad Air 2 in the $400 range in the next two weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance