Touchscreen becomes unresponsive

Flagslack

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, first time poster here, though I've been on the forums for a while. I haven't heard of anything else like this so far, though. The touch screen just stops responding, and I'm afraid it might be the hardware, but I'm hoping I'm wrong since I'm living in Costa Rica and there's no way I can return this thing.

Yesterday the touchscreen became unresponsive on the pattern unlock screen to start it up. I have it set that the pattern doesn't show, but it still does a little vibrate each time you hit a dot, and it wasn't doing that. I rebooted in recovery mode and cleared the cache partition (no other ideas), but it still didn't work. Restarted many times... Then suddenly, works just fine after sitting for a few hours.

Today it was working normally, then after sitting for a while, suddenly no response. The screen rotation works and it is downloading updates and receiving emails, but no touchscreen functionality whatsoever. My next step is to reset to factory specs, but I have the icky feeling that this is a hardware issue. A random idea is that it could be because Costa Rica is very humid, but everyone down here has functional smartphones and tablets, so I don't think that's it.

Any thoughts?? Give it to me straight, doc.

Flagslack

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thinking maybe it was a loose or broken connection somewhere, I put it in the sun thinking maybe things would expand and connect as it got hot. No luck. Freezer didn't work either. That one was just desperation.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I've had that one happen. I've had it get busy for up to 20 seconds or so and be unresponsive but not for minutes at a time.

Eisen Berg

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Ive posted recently problems with unlock screen becoming untesponsive as well. Im pretty sure its a bug since sometimes i get "interface has stopped" error so its software bug... Can you shut the device off by holding power button long?

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine, like maxburn said will get a bit of lag on chrome & become unresponsive for a few seconds.
At the lock screen - I've not ever had any trouble.
I agree it must be a bug & can only hope 5.1 will solve your issue - if not you may have to send her in for a checkup :(
Holding down the power button for around 20 - 30 seconds should shut the tablet down.

Flagslack

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Hmm yeah I have shut it down and rebooted many times and it stays the same. The part that throws me for a loop is that when it happened while the tablet was already on (not upon startup), it was still downloading updates and receiving emails and the screen would autorotate and such - it was still processing just fine, but there was zero touchscreen input. I hope you guys are right that it is software, but I still don't know what to make of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay