5.1.1 update install failures?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I received the notice for the OTA 5.1 a few days ago and downloaded it then started the install process, but about a quarter of the way through the install the little androids belly went all "!" on me and it said "error". It took a few days for the update to come back so that I could try again and just now it did exactly the same thing. So I am still on 5. 0. 2. What could the problem be and what can I do about it? (I really don't want to sideload).

There is a thread on this issue on the Google product forum here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/5JA3MDwusSI

But no solution has been found, so I thought I would ask here if any were having the same issue and had found a solution.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is your tablet rooted. or have you flashed a custom ROM? In either case, the update has a choice of failing (actually just not trying to update the device and giving you a failure notice) or risking bricking it. The update is for an unrooted stock ROM only. If you've changed that you'll have to flash the stock ROM back in order to update.

Edit:
I just went through the link you posted. If you haven't rooted or flashed a custom ROM, stop trying to update - there may be a problem with the update. A couple of people there have non-functional tablets due to that. Yours works, so leave it where it is for now, keep reading that thread and wait until someone announces a fix.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
No, stock and unrooted, all plain vanilla. This seems to be a known issue, but no solution I have found. I did see just now that there is another thread started on this subject I hadn't noticed, so I will go check that one out as well.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Whew...I got lucky. Just picked a N9 off Swappa, did a factory reset and (ignorantly) allowed it to go ahead with the update. Got the failure error, but fortunately was able to power down by holding the power button, and then fired it back up and it still works. Still at 5.0.2. Came here to see wazzup with that, and found this thread.

(slaps self) - I know better - I usually research updates before starting them, since the time an ios update screwed up my wife's ipad.

Will be content to sit back and wait to see what happens with this. I'm good at waiting...I have a Note Edge on Verizon :D

Droidnought

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Spent a week emailing and talking back and forth with Google Support. They were of no help. The told me it was HTC's fault that my tablet was not able to update to 5.1.1. Called HTC and they said it is Google's software that is causing the error during the install. Neither one wants to help me or own up to there being something wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa