I'm considering upgrading to an Nexus 9

Craigd81

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
So, I am probably going to get an Nexus 9 some time this week.
I currently have the N7 2013 and I love it and now I want another.
I am wanting the 9 for the bigger screen and better processor not to mention its newer and will be supported longer.
I have read at first there were many problems with the 9 but in recent months since lollipop got better things are starting to smooth out and get better for the 9.

Can anyone with an N9 give me some feedback about how your 9 experience is and would I be doing the right thing by buying one?

Thanks

#nexus9

Posted via the Android Central App

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The bigger screen works for me; however, I can't tell what the better processor really does. It certainly doesn't keep the lag (particularly noticeable returning to home screen) at bay. Sometimes it seems as slow as my old Toshiba Thrive. Mine is 32gb running L5. 1.1 with elementalx kernel --which does help. My N7 FHD was faster except when touches didn't register which was a lot. At times, I wonder if the N9 is having touch issues or if it's just another manifestation of the lag. I wanted to like the ipad, but couldn't deal with the limitations even jailbroken. Just be sure to buy it from a place where you can easily return if it turns out to be not what you want. I did purchase from such a place, but the lag didn't show up for months. I have 13gb of storage left (I've done at least 4 factory resets with complete wipes to see if I can reduce the lag). I've generally preferred stock os but am looking into trying other roms for the N9. Everything else works well-otg, video and casting, wifi, nfc, Bluetooth. The speakers are pretty good for a tablet. Mine has somewhat recessed buttons but very little light bleed.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 9 is a lot faster than my old nexus 7. Worlds ahead. Mine seems to never lag unlike others. It's definitely a bit faster than my note 4, it was definitely a worthy upgrade

Posted via the NOTE 4 or NEXUS 9

Craigd81

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
£199 for the 16GB Wi-Fi version is what I can afford rite now. 16 will give me about 12 actually it's OK I use clouds anyway.

Craigd81

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
So, I got it today and loving it so far. Nova Launcher Prime with Rondo icons.

Attachments

• 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 341.jpg
    341.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 114

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one for watching movies and college football games in bed when I don't want to deal with a laptop. Do y'all recommend it. The price seems right on amazon but the messages are mixed on this tablet.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So far so good for me. Only issue is slow charging apart from that it is sweet.

Thanks for the reply. The reviews all seem to be good for it. I mainly want to use it for watching sports on the sling TV app. I think I'll be picking one up.

Noam Asulin

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Great I have found about this post as I'm trying to decide if it's a good tablet for me. I'm moving from iPad 2 which I have been using for the last 4 years but had enough with Apple's limitations. So, I read a lot on this tablet and some of the reviews aren't very good, as others saying good things about it. I read it has light bleeds and not very responsive volumes/power buttons. I know HTC improved in this section since the initial stock but I can't be sure the unit I'll get doesn't have this issues. I'm buying it from a local store in Israel, not from Amazon or something. Any way to check if it's the initial stock by serial number or something?
Another question : Is it convenient to hold it for a long period of time?

Thx!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Craigd81

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have had mine for exactly 1 week now and I have not seen any light bleed. The volume buttons are responsive and work good.
The only 2 things that do let it down are the long charging times and slight overheating.
All good for me 1 week on.

Keep in mind most reviews are written when the N9 was released in November 2014 and when Android Lollipop was very buggy still at 5.0. We are now 9 months later and running lollipop 5.1.1 which is much more stable.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Nice deal. I'm in the states. I think I'll grab one from amazon for $338. Thanks for the tip though!

Mine seems to work quite well for videos. It works with my sling box and with Chromecast. It also works well as a reader (I use Aldiko premium). I think the 4:3 ratio is much more reader friendly. As long as I'm not web browsing or returning to home screen (Nova), no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ginger_beer_m

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Great I have found about this post as I'm trying to decide if it's a good tablet for me. I'm moving from iPad 2 which I have been using for the last 4 years but had enough with Apple's limitations.

If you haven't bought the nexus 9 yet, I'd suggest you reconsider that. I too was 'upgrading' from the ipad 2 to the nexus 9 (got the 32Gb model) and I don't think it was worth the money. Those reviews out there on the net aren't telling you the full picture. I can live with the slight screen bleed and the tendency for the tablet to overheat.. But the lag is just horrible when it appears. It can be as bad as the ipad 2 running on ios 8 at times, which is exactly what I spent £300 to avoid! I haven't tried messing around with custom firmwares etc yet, but I shouldn't have to do that for a supposedly flagship nexus tablet. HTC really pulled the plug on this one.

If I were you, I'd have gone with my other choice for this price range, which is an ipad air (not 2). At least here in the UK, it costs more or less the same as the nexus, is buttery smooth and if you jailbreak it, it's pretty much the same in terms of limitation as the nexus anyway.

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 9 is generally a very good tablet, design wise the quality is good and the screen size for me is the perfect 'sweet spot' between size and portability.

However, there is one big issue that is still to be addressed on Lollipop 5.1.1 and that is the lag, especially notable when going from an app back to the home screen.

I have compared the Nexus 9 against my N7 (2013) and I can genuinely say the N7 still comes across at times as being smoother and faster.

Apart from this, I love my Nexus 9 and am really hoping Marshmallow will solve the memory lag from Lollipop.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Great I have found about this post as I'm trying to decide if it's a good tablet for me. I'm moving from iPad 2 which I have been using for the last 4 years but had enough with Apple's limitations. So, I read a lot on this tablet and some of the reviews aren't very good, as others saying good things about it. I read it has light bleeds and not very responsive volumes/power buttons. I know HTC improved in this section since the initial stock but I can't be sure the unit I'll get doesn't have this issues. I'm buying it from a local store in Israel, not from Amazon or something. Any way to check if it's the initial stock by serial number or something?
Another question : Is it convenient to hold it for a long period of time?

Thx!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you haven't bought one yet, I suggest you don't. It's adequate, but that's far from what you would expect of a Nexus device. HTC just did a bad job with this. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with Nvidia.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I am probably going to get an Nexus 9 some time this week.
I currently have the N7 2013 and I love it and now I want another.
I am wanting the 9 for the bigger screen and better processor not to mention its newer and will be supported longer.
I have read at first there were many problems with the 9 but in recent months since lollipop got better things are starting to smooth out and get better for the 9.

Can anyone with an N9 give me some feedback about how your 9 experience is and would I be doing the right thing by buying one?

Thanks

#nexus9

The Nexus 9 is a great and powerful Android tablet! :)

But i would suggest looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 as it is much better than the Nexus 9!