Did Google show us the Nexus 9 at I/O? (pics)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
First of all, credit goes to this article on Ausdroid: Google may have snuck the Nexus 9 into the Google I/O keynote - Ausdroid

And in particular, this image: http://i.imgur.com/YB3309N.png

If you look at the tablet there, it looks like a generic image of a tab, but a few things entered my mind:

1. There are two actual devices there in the image: the Nexus 5 and Chrome Pixel, however they're shown next to a tablet which doesn't actually exist...
2. Why would Google put images of the Pixel and Nexus 5 and not the image of their Nexus 7 which is also a real device? Why opt for a dummy render of a device that doesn't exist?
3. The tablet is far too big to be the Nexus 7. It's absolutely not the Nexus 7.
4. I zoomed in on the image of the mysterious tablet and noticed this: http://i.imgur.com/RID9BdR.png

The render of this tablet seems to have a top-mounted, front-facing speaker. There could possibly be another one at the bottom, however it is covered by the Nexus 5.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but the front-facing speaker (possibly another one at the bottom) there align with the rumours of the device before I/O even happened, so there may be some weighting to the rumours: This Is Volantis, HTC's Nine-Inch Nexus Tablet

"Stereo front-facing speakers"

Have Google just shown us all a preliminary Nexus 9 render right under our noses?

Last edited:

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The links to your attachments dont work but interesting and nice find anyway. Can't wait for some new info. Was soo disappointed it wasn't announced at I/O.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The links to your attachments dont work but interesting and nice find anyway. Can't wait for some new info. Was soo disappointed it wasn't announced at I/O.

Sorry about that. I've fixed the links, so hopefully they'll work now.

As you can see, if you zoom in on that picture, it clearly shows a tablet that has a front facing speaker. Could very well be a preliminary design for the Nexus 9, which is rumoured to have dual front facing speakers.