Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

Quote Originally Posted by David Gerhart View Post
    I
    5. Expandable memory (Throw an additional 128GB into the nexus 9? Nope, can't do it.)
    Whoa, for some reason I thought the N9 had a micro-SD slot! I must have read it in a leak and assumed it was true. That may be a problem for me. There's no way I'm spending$479 for a 32 gig N9. But 16 gigs is probably not enough space. I used to have a 16 gig iPad and I always regretted not having 32 gigs.

Now I'm torn again...

Quote Originally Posted by TJGEsq View Post
    Whoa, for some reason I thought the N9 had a micro-SD slot! I must have read it in a leak and assumed it was true. That may be a problem for me. There's no way I'm spending$479 for a 32 gig N9. But 16 gigs is probably not enough space. I used to have a 16 gig iPad and I always regretted not having 32 gigs.

Now I'm torn again...
    You are correct. In the days leading up to the official announcement it was rumored to have an sdcard. But knowing Google's stance on sdcards I knew it had to be false.

Now I'm torn again...
    For folks concerned about storage, two questions... Doesn't Google give Android users 15gb of cloud storage on their drive for free? And, doesn't the latest OS prohibit app storage on removable SDs, whereas, it can only be used for media and files?

J

Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    For folks concerned about storage, two questions... Doesn't Google give Android users 15gb of cloud storage on their drive for free? And, doesn't the latest OS prohibit app storage on removable SDs, whereas, it can only be used for media and files?

J
    Android Kit Kat prohibit Apps from being stored on SD cards since the Fat 32 SD card format doesn't have security inside Apps that the main Ram does have. Fat 32 format on SD cards were never designed for security for devices that had modems. That means any App you give permission to store data on a SD card can access any other Apps or picture on your SD card.

Storage info From Wiki;

Google offers all users an initial 15 GB of online storage space, that is shared across three of its most-used services: Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos[6] (aka Picasa Web Albums).[7] Users can upgrade their free 15 GB account through a paid monthly subscription plan to get additional storage.[7] Documents using Google Docs native formats (including .gdoc, .gslides, and .gsheet) do not count towards this quota. In Google+ Photos, photos of resolution less than 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos shorter than 15 minutes also do not count towards this quota.[8]

As of 13 March 2014, storage plans offered by Google, are all charged exclusively in US$ so any customer outside of the US will need to pay exchange charges, are as follows.

Storage Price
    15 GB Free
    100 GB US$ 1.99 per month
    1 TB US$ 9.99 per month
    10 TB US$ 99.99 per month
    20 TB US$ 199.99 per month
    30 TB US$ 299.99 per month

Google Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Android Kit Kat prohibit Apps from being stored on SD cards since the Fat 32 SD card format doesn't have security inside Apps that the main Ram does have. Fat 32 format on SD cards were never designed for security for devices that had modems. That means any App you give permission to store data on a SD card can access any other Apps or picture on your SD card.

Storage info From Wiki;

Google offers all users an initial 15 GB of online storage space, that is shared across three of its most-used services: Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos[6] (aka Picasa Web Albums).[7] Users can upgrade their free 15 GB account through a paid monthly subscription plan to get additional storage.[7] Documents using Google Docs native formats (including .gdoc, .gslides, and .gsheet) do not count towards this quota. In Google+ Photos, photos of resolution less than 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos shorter than 15 minutes also do not count towards this quota.[8]

As of 13 March 2014, storage plans offered by Google, are all charged exclusively in US$ so any customer outside of the US will need to pay exchange charges, are as follows.

Storage Price
    15 GB Free
    100 GB US$ 1.99 per month
    1 TB US$ 9.99 per month
    10 TB US$ 99.99 per month
    20 TB US$ 199.99 per month
    30 TB US$ 299.99 per month

Google Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks Shilohcane!

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    If I understand you correctly, an app can't be installed on an SD card. But can data for an app be stored there? I assume movies and songs can be stored there. What about comic books downloaded in the Comixology app?

If I understand you correctly, an app can't be installed on an SD card. But can data for an app be stored there? I assume movies and songs can be stored there. What about comic books downloaded in the Comixology app?
    You can do both on Nvidia devices, they support app and app data move if the app supports it. Devices like Shield and Tegra Note. They provide a special version of ES file too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12