Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Mezzum's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

    Default Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I have been holding on to my Nexus 7 (2012), I recently purchased a Nvidia Shield Tablet but have not opened it. From all the rumors I have seen, these tablets will be similar maybe a better screen on the Nexus. But as an overall tablet I can't see how the Nexus can top the Nvidia Tablet putting aside how it looks (that's simply not important). Open the Nvidia or is it with waiting?

    Discuss!
  2. #2  
    Aquila's Avatar

    Posts
    10,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,150 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Exactly what I've been brooding on the last few weeks.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I know you haven't opened it, but do you know how the stylus is on that tablet? I doubt the nexus will have a built in stylus, but you may not care about that.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    Aquila's Avatar

    Posts
    10,915 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,150 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Quote Originally Posted by livetoride4666 View Post
    I know you haven't opened it, but do you know how the stylus is on that tablet? I doubt the nexus will have a built in stylus, but you may not care about that.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not many reviews have paid much attention to that feature. I think it's cool, but I don't use a stylus much currently - from the demos it looks very very smooth, but I am willing to bet is has less functionality than the S-Pen. Many of the reviews make this device seem very niche, but to me it seems like an awesome flagship tablet with some killer features that might put it over the edge. As I understand it, updates come directly from Nvidia and they're not planning on screwing around in that category. I'm curious to see the Nexus but it's going to have to bring the heat to beat this combination.
  5. #5  
    TJGEsq's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I'm contemplating the same issue.

    I've been waiting for a new Nexus for a while, but the Nvidia Shield seems to have what I want: Front facing speakers, (mostly) vanilla Android, top of the line hardware. There are a couple of things that may trouble me: (1) I'd prefer a tablet larger than 8". Of course, perhaps the Nexus will only be 8" as well. But if it's 9", then I may kick myself if I had already bought the Shield. (2) I've read that the volume isn't very loud. Being that I have an HTC M8, I'm spoiled in that regard. So I hope that the Shield's volume is at least as loud and sounds as good as the M8. If the new Nexus is indeed made by HTC as is being predicted, then I'm sure the speakers are going to be fantastic and will be tough to beat.

    Bottom line is that I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do. I'm getting a little tired of waiting for a new Nexus. I was hoping for a new Nexus 10 months ago. I've given up hope on that, but the Nexus 8/9 sounds promising.
  6. #6  
    Traldera's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Main reason to wait is that Google will likely give the tablet the first (or at least first wave) 64 bit processor.

    Nexus has so far represented the developers choice of tablet - ease of access to back end and updates. NOT the 'stock google experience' most sites say it represents. This is likely why we are going to see the transition to google silver.

    But back on topic - if it has a 64 bit with ease of access and a low (relatively) price then developers would pounce on it.

    Try not to start thinking of the nexus devices as tablets for the masses - its not what they are, even though they have kind of become it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Wait for the Nexus. No doubt.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default

    IMO the new shield tablet is the best android tablet released so far, but there's 2 areas where it fell enough behind the Nexus 7 that are important to me that I didn't buy one. Outdoor screen brightness and battery life.
    If the nexus 8 ends up having as many defects as the n7 did though, I'll be keeping the 7 until either it breaks, or something else comes out.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    IMO the new shield tablet is the best android tablet released so far, but there's 2 areas where it fell enough behind the Nexus 7 that are important to me that I didn't buy one. Outdoor screen brightness and battery life.
    If the nexus 8 ends up having as many defects as the n7 did though, I'll be keeping the 7 until either it breaks, or something else comes out.
    While screen brightness could not be changed for the better, you might want to look at an updated test with the battery....

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8329/r...d-battery-life

    Almost 4 and a half hours of T-Rex demo is nothing to laugh about when you change the battery setting to cap the demo at 30 fps. Also remember that compared to the shield portable, the shield tablet is running at two resolutions higher with a far larger screen.

    That's an hour longer then the tab s from Sammy, and with far better performance then the rest of the samples.
    I'm In no way saying this tablet has a perfect battery life. But for most games and typical uses, you can even change the battery setting to have more aggressive savings while still running games or other tasks. All with little or no real loss of quality or lagging.

    Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
  10. #10  
    Davehow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    While screen brightness could not be changed for the better, you might want to look at an updated test with the battery....

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8329/r...d-battery-life

    Almost 4 and a half hours of T-Rex demo is nothing to laugh about when you change the battery setting to cap the demo at 30 fps. Also remember that compared to the shield portable, the shield tablet is running at two resolutions higher with a far larger screen.

    That's an hour longer then the tab s from Sammy, and with far better performance then the rest of the samples.
    I'm In no way saying this tablet has a perfect battery life. But for most games and typical uses, you can even change the battery setting to have more aggressive savings while still running games or other tasks. All with little or no real loss of quality or lagging.

    Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
    Absolutely, this tablet is definitely optimized for gaming. It was their original review where it was commented that battery life for other activities wasn't as long as the N7. My point is basically that since I already own a tablet that has great overall battery life and outdoor viewing, the nvidia isn't really a noticeable upgrade for me. It smokes the N7 (and pretty much everyone else) in every other way though so if I was buying from an older or no tablet, it's hard to pass on.
  11. #11  
    TJGEsq's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Glad I waited. Definitely going to get the Nexus 9. It has all the features I want.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    The Nexus 9 has most of what I want but there is still one thing I wish it had that the Shield has and that's DirectStylus. Seeing that it is indeed a Tegra K1 I just hope there's some way of enabling it since the implementation is completely on the software side from what I understand.
    drblast33 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I'm thinking about the Shield Tablet, as it brings more to the table at $399 (LTE & 32GB). That's the same price as the entry-level N9. Then again, I just got confirmation from T-Mobile that they will be carrying the N9 LTE. Financing that $599 in 24 bite-sized chunks might change things.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    The main thing that held me back from the nvidia tablet was the poor brightness/visibility outdoors. I spend a lot of time on my deck. In all other regards the nvidia is a beast for performance. I'm not thrilled with the N9 though, and can't help but feel like I should wait until a tablet that thrills me comes out rather than just "it's OK compared to what's available"
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I was completely on the fence between nvidia shield tablet and the nexus 9. After seeing the official N9 specs I'm completely going nvidia shield tablet. There is nothing spectacular about the N9. The shield is $100 cheaper and that $100 could go to a microsd card and whatever else I want to buy for the tablet. I'm not concerned at all about 64 bit vs 32 bit. Since the Nexus 6 is still 32 bit, I highly doubt many developer is going to optimize for 64 bit processor, heck we a very limited number of tablet optimized apps. I'm also not a fan of the 4:3, but that's not a deal breaker for me.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I still am shocked there wasn't a new Samsung Note 8 LTE for 2014. They made a Note 10 in early 2014, and a new Tab 8... I guess Ill wait for a 64bit 8-9" tablet with Lollipop and a good stylus
  17. #17  

    Cool Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I think the advantage goes to the shield.

    1. For the entry price of the Nexus 9 you can get the fully loaded Shield (32GB + LTE). $200 difference
    2. Stylus
    3. Better front camera could be nice for video chat (who cares about the back camera)
    4. Shield Controller (lower latency than generic blue tooth options), Twitch support, Stream gaming from your real computer, Games that are better than normal (HL2, Halo).....
    5. Expandable memory (Throw an additional 128GB into the nexus 9? Nope, can't do it.)

    The Nexus 9 has a better screen but the increased resolution is marginal and likely wouldn't be noticed unless your doing a side by side comparison.

    The biggest reason for the Nexux 9 is Android L. But that will come to the Shield at some point anyway. There could be some app issues with Android L's new runtime for a while anyway. Oh, and the Nexus 9 keyboard would be nice if you plan to get real work done on it.
    ljbad4life likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Also dont forget N9 Tegra K1 is dual core, while Shield K1 Tegra is quad core, the 64 bits mean nothing just as iPhone 5 64 bits weak processor means nothing neither. Also 16:9 IS the format for media, videos, gaming, etc. 4:3 its for... who knows, pre 90's shows fans? Front speakers are cool too and the design of the Shield is sexier without being too gamer like, just the perfect balance.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Add to the list:

    6. Shield have K1 Quad Core vs K1 Dual Core of the N9 (64 bits processor means nothing on practical world).
    7. Front face dual speakers

    Android L is guaranteed for SHIELD devices, Nvidia do an excelent work on this with very fast updates and they already confirmed Lollipop is coming to SHIELD.

    My biggest question is this: on the 16 GB SHIELD tablet, if you install big games (like Gameloft Modern Combat 5 and such which weight like 3-4 GB each) can you install them on the SD card? or you still forced to install on the base 16 GB (- already used by system space). Thats why I dont like the 16 GB idea but I dont like the 32 GB price neither (I wont ever use the LTE at my country).
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeHN View Post
    Also dont forget N9 Tegra K1 is dual core, while Shield K1 Tegra is quad core, the 64 bits mean nothing just as iPhone 5 64 bits weak processor means nothing neither. Also 16:9 IS the format for media, videos, gaming, etc. 4:3 its for... who knows, pre 90's shows fans? Front speakers are cool too and the design of the Shield is sexier without being too gamer like, just the perfect balance.
    Dual denver cores >>>>Quad A-15 cores.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I know someone who has the Shield Tablet and games go onto the SD card or they can. Not sure if they install there by default and have to be moved or what.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    I have to say I'm a bit torn here. I currently have a 7" Kindle Fire HDX which I am not thrilled with. I bought it mainly for the Prime video support but now that is available on other Android tablets as well.

    The shield tablet looks great due to its price and the controller accessory, but the Nexus 9 has the slightly larger display, quicker Android updates and the keyboard accessory.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Good to know Android L is confirmed. Hope it doesn't take too long.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Gerhart View Post
    I think the advantage goes to the shield.

    1. For the entry price of the Nexus 9 you can get the fully loaded Shield (32GB + LTE). $200 difference
    2. Stylus
    3. Better front camera could be nice for video chat (who cares about the back camera)
    4. Shield Controller (lower latency than generic blue tooth options), Twitch support, Stream gaming from your real computer, Games that are better than normal (HL2, Halo).....
    5. Expandable memory (Throw an additional 128GB into the nexus 9? Nope, can't do it.)

    The Nexus 9 has a better screen but the increased resolution is marginal and likely wouldn't be noticed unless your doing a side by side comparison.

    The biggest reason for the Nexux 9 is Android L. But that will come to the Shield at some point anyway. There could be some app issues with Android L's new runtime for a while anyway. Oh, and the Nexus 9 keyboard would be nice if you plan to get real work done on it.
    Add to the list mini-hdmi port out. I dislike mhl adapters ever since my Sgs3 days. mhl adapters are very finicky, work with some phones, not with others. I just want to plug my tablet into a tv to play a movie or a game, not deal with that hassle.
  25. #25  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Add to the list mini-hdmi port out. I dislike mhl adapters ever since my Sgs3 days. mhl adapters are very finicky, work with some phones, not with others. I just want to plug my tablet into a tv to play a movie or a game, not deal with that hassle.
    It's a good thing it has a mini hdmi because it's hard right now to get support for the full screen cast function on Chromecast on non nexus devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Resetting Locked galaxy nexus 1
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions