Nexus 9: NVIDIA Tegra K1 64-bit processor. What's your take?

Ivan Shingler

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd say marketing gimmick, much like PCs, how many apps are 64 bit ready in the playstore? I know 32 bit apps will be fine but how much benefit is the end user really going to see?

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd say marketing gimmick, much like PCs, how many apps are 64 bit ready in the playstore? I know 32 bit apps will be fine but how much benefit is the end user really going to see?

No its not a gimmick. There will be support in terms of 64 bit. Nothing happens over night and if we just stopped at 32 bit and didn't explore new horizons how would Android ever advance?

Also 64 bit is also offering more than just what your seeing on the visual end. Its also about more efficient performance equaling better battery life.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in the CPU performance, as it's a brand new CPU design specific to mobile. In order execution with software based reorder optimization.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

How is it a marketing gimmick? What Google is really doing is putting out its expectations for this year's devices while giving developers something to work with when it comes to 64bit app design

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The NVIDIA Tegra K1 64-bit processor is going to make the Nexus 9 the most advanced tablet on the market with visual effects. It's also the first mobile processor to run 'Unreal Engine 4' . This Industry standard 'Unreal Engine 4' is the next step in tablets technology for graphics that can't be done with with shading and reflections with a 32 bit CPU. The Tegra K1 64-bit processor is going to provide a higher grade of graphics than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It not as good as the current Playstation or Xbox but that is only a due to lack of electrical watts and heat dissipation that prevents it from being at those levels. If you are a high end gamer on Android then the NVIDIA Tegra K1 64 bit processor was made for your style.

Unreal Engine 4 is a professional suite of tools and technologies used for building high-quality games across a range of platforms. Unreal Engine 4’s rendering architecture enables developers to achieve stunning visuals and also scale elegantly to lower-end systems.

Revolutionary new workflow features and a deep toolset empower developers to quickly iterate on ideas and see immediate results, while complete C++ source code access brings the experience to a whole new level.

Unreal Engine technology powers hundreds of games as well as real-time 3D films, training simulations, visualizations and more. Over the past 15 years, thousands of individuals and teams and have built careers and companies around skills developed using the engine. Read more here https://www.unrealengine.com/products/unreal-engine-4

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

The NVIDIA Tegra K1 64-bit processor will run the old 32-bit software plus the new 64-bit software the older 32 bit computers can't with the same quality. Apple set the bar at 64-bit and since we run most of the same Apps it forces Google's hand to move up to the 64 bit or fail the way of HP Palm OS.

Your quote reminds me of what Ken Olsen President and co-founded Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) that was the World's #2 Computer company at the time. In 1986, Fortune Magazine named Olsen "America's most successful entrepreneur". In 1977 before the PC was invented Ken Olsen said "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." DEC is out of business purchased by Compaq that did see a need for a Computer in your home.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The GPU absolutely smokes the competition.

Nvidia Shield Tablet GPU Core Benchmark Results

I can't find any benchmarks of the 64-bit CPU though. I know that many Android applications are still only single- or dual-threaded, so I don't know that the dual-core processor will be a huge detriment vs the quad-core options.
I really hope you end up being proven right about this. The last half of this year has for the first time left me wishing I had 3GB of RAM. If the K1 and Lollipop end up being the solution than I'll be much happier.
The Shield has both but the screen dimness outdoors ended up being a deal-breaker for me since I use my tablet outside frequently

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The GPU absolutely smokes the competition.

Nvidia Shield Tablet GPU Core Benchmark Results

I can't find any benchmarks of the 64-bit CPU though. I know that many Android applications are still only single- or dual-threaded, so I don't know that the dual-core processor will be a huge detriment vs the quad-core options.

I was the computer programer that ran the benchmarks for three computer manufactures in the past. There are a lot of advantages 64-bits brings over 32 bit but speed of the software running a benchmark isn't one of them. True CPU's with symmetric multiprocessing that run programs that support multi-threaded in parallel will be faster in most cases. 64 bit wider data path to memory and vastly improved graphics is where you will see the 64 bit advantage.

With the same number of cores If the NVIDIA Tegra K1 64 bit CPU is faster than a 32 bit CPU running the same benchmark it is due to the design and speed of the CPU not the data width for a typical benchmark that test CPU speed.

Where the NVIDIA Tegra K1 64 bit CPU is going to be faster is in it's graphics processing unit (GPU) that will blow away just about everything on the market today below a top of the line PC with NVIDA GPU and the Playstation 4 or Xbox One.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I really hope you end up being proven right about this. The last half of this year has for the first time left me wishing I had 3GB of RAM. If the K1 and Lollipop end up being the solution than I'll be much happier.
The Shield has both but the screen dimness outdoors ended up being a deal-breaker for me since I use my tablet outside frequently

Eh, I don't know how important I would find the extra RAM. I've never run into a memory issue on my Nexus 5 and typically only use about 1GB of memory at any given time. Android can handle devices with 512MB of RAM, 2GB is plenty at this point. More is always better, but I don't see 2GB being a bottleneck in the near future.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Android L is supposed to be better at RAM usage, but the other interesting thing is ART is going to be more "common" which makes this CPU possibly even stronger.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a tf300 (only 1 gig) and to be honest more ram would be really nice. Right now 2 gig is plenty but if a device offers 6 4 but technology why not go the full length and include 4 gig? the worst thing would be having too much ram fire now not exactly the worst problem to have :)

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a tf300 (only 1 gig) and to be honest more ram would be really nice. Right now 2 gig is plenty but if a device offers 6 4 but technology why not go the full length and include 4 gig? the worst thing would be having too much ram fire now not exactly the worst problem to have :)

I definitely agree that more RAM is always better, I just don't think 2GB of RAM is going to ruin the device.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't find any benchmarks of the 64-bit CPU though.
That's because the device isn't in anyone's hands yet to provide them. Plus don't forget even if some do have a test or review unit it doesn't have final Lollipop (Android 5.0) software on it ;)

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
That's because the device isn't in anyone's hands yet to provide them. Plus don't forget even if some do have a test or review unit it doesn't have final Lollipop (Android 5.0) software on it ;)

I wasn't really talking about Nexus 9 specific benchmarks. Nvidia typically makes reference devices that they use to provide performance benchmarks, and it seems like they did that with the quad-core 32-bit model, but not the dual-core 64-bit model.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't really talking about Nexus 9 specific benchmarks. Nvidia typically makes reference devices that they use to provide performance benchmarks, and it seems like they did that with the quad-core 32-bit model, but not the dual-core 64-bit model.

Good point. I think NVIDIA kept the lid tight on this one which is fine. I'm cool with waiting to see what it does and of course things are going to take time to optimize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech