Nexus 9 compared to Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

ChongKL

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends on what/how you will use it. Like you I too wanted the external micro SD card. I dont play games, so the older graphics and processor matters less to me ... you had mentioned that your N7 now too slow. The screen still looks great despite not being super amoled, but I suspect thats it may still be as good as the one on the Nexus 9.....

I bought my Tab Pro 8.4 refurbished from Amazon last week for US$220, so really good deals possible.

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at the Tab Pro and the Tab S. I just just couldn't do Touch Wiz. I also wanted the 4:3 ratio, which I am loving. The Nexus 9 is overpriced, but I wasn't going the Apple route. You just gotta figure out what your nonnegotiables are.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the Tab Pro and the Tab S. I just just couldn't do Touch Wiz. I also wanted the 4:3 ratio, which I am loving. The Nexus 9 is overpriced, but I wasn't going the Apple route. You just gotta figure out what your nonnegotiables are.

^^ Agreed. I have a Note 10.1 2014 and really don't like it. The TouchWiz is crap and it is sluggish. I'm spoiled with having the N7 and the pure android experience. I'm planning on selling the Note and getting the N9. I'm waiting until I can hold it and try it out before pulling the trigger.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My biggest advice is..... Go for the Nvidia Shield Tablet, its got the power, its an 8 inch tablet, nice screen, sd card slot, mini hdmi, does everyday use really well then does gaming as a bonus, its $299 brand new for the 16gb. oh and its 95% stock androind just like the Nexus 9... will also be getting Lollipop before the end of the month

For me personally its the best tablet for value out there right now, i would advise everyone to give the Nexus 9 a miss from my own experience with it... unless it was $300 for the 32gb but thats not happening

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know which I was using, 8.4 S or Pro, but it was disappointing. It was sluggish as expected for a TouchWiz device. You could sell the 1st Gen Nexus 7 and get the 2013 Nexus 7 which is still a great and a snappy device, right now should be even cheaper. Then there's the nvidia shield tablet, which is a nice 8 inch tablet. It's geared towards gaming which is the most intense thing you can do with a tablet, so I would expect it to perform pretty darn good at regular everyday tasks as well. Lastly, there's Nexus 9. You will probably want to pick up the 32GB version because 16GB is obviously not enough anymore for tablets these days. That's gonna cost you a whopping $500 and I just don't know if I can recommend you to get it. Unless you're a big Android fan who's gonna be doing some processor heavy tasks to take advantage of that 64-bit chip, I suggest you pass on the Nexus 9.

Hope this helps

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^ that is some good advice.

I'd had the tab pro 8.4 and it had the touchwiz hesitation, I ended up sticking CM on it, touchwiz is particularly craptastic

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
After using my Nexus 9 for two and a half days now, I feel completely comfortable recommending it to anyone who wants a powerful tablet with cutting edge specs and the latest and greatest OS google has to offer... Great screen? Check. Blistering performance? Check. Polished and stable version of Android with new features that give IOS a run for its money? Check. Great build quality? Check.

This is of course just my opinion. But I think the N9 is the best tablet you can buy right now. IMO it blows the competition away in a heartbeat! Its not just the best Android has to offer. Its simply the best tablet period. My iPad Air is powered down, in its sleeve sitting on my shelf right now. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Sent via Tapatalk from my Nexus N!ne... -The Next Generation of Nexus-

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the Shield. I would've gotten if I didn't go with the Nexus. The 4:3 ratio just suited my needs. I still may get the shield for my wife though.

Posted from my Nexus 7

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. I can't decide on the Pro 8.4 or this as well.

Galaxy Pro pros: The price for the pro at 279 is really tempting. There's a lot of other stuff I need to buy so the extra 120 would go a long way. With a month gone in the season that's almost a year subscription to NHL Gamecenter. I just like the look of it too over the Nexus as well. I like how it's small and like someone said you could actually walk around with this in say a pair of basketball shorts pocket. My phone is a POS so this tablet will be on the go quite a bit.

Galaxy Pro cons: Great price but I don't know how pumped I am on watching 3 hour games on an 8.4 inch screen? The speakers aren't very loud either. Phone I have now is a POS so this would be used by me around me house to listen to podcast. I want good speakers because ear buds are a PITA IMO and I'm worried while doing dishes or in the shower I won't be able to hear it. Another con is lag. I'm super impatient and just like to really go crazy when on a device doing a bunch of different things so I'm worried the lag will drive me nuts. No amoled as well. I can live with this though as I really didn't mind the LCD the Pro comes with.

Nexus 9 pros: The 9 inch screen solves my 8.4 vs 10.5 dilemma I've having with the Galaxy tabs. Or does it? Does it really solve the issue or no do I just get a tab that's too big to be portable but too small to really enjoy movies/sporting events? sigh....One definite pro is boomsound. Love me some boomsound. Nothing more annoying them putting on the radio in the shower and I can't even hear what they're saying like on the Galaxy S3 I used to have. Another pro is simplicity..I'm a less is more person so Android 5.0 is very appealing to me....

Nexus 9 cons: I may be in the minority but I just think it's ugly. I'm also not sure on 4:3. Never used it and my my primary purpose of the tablet would be movies/video so 4:3 may not be for me, especially for sports? I have a feeling that even in landscape some stuff would be a cut off like say while watching a football game? Another con is $120 extra.

I'm sure I'll change my mind like 10x before I make a decision........ughhhhh:(:(:(:(:(

I know this is like a month old and probably too late, but don't choose the Nexus 9 for the bigger display while watching videos, because it's not really. The screen is only 0.6" bigger diagonally, but since the aspect ratio is more square, the screen isn't any bigger for videos. All you get on the Nexus 9 is more letterboxing.

Dylan Lamptey

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 9 is just better.
No touchwiz
Bigger screen
Faster updates
Lollipop
Superior processor and GPU
the only thing the tab s has for it is the super AMOLED display

I have had the n9 since Christmas and👌

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 9 is just better.
No touchwiz
Bigger screen
Faster updates
Lollipop
Superior processor and GPU
the only thing the tab s has for it is the super AMOLED display

I have had the n9 since Christmas and👌

To me the amoled screen is a negative. I can't stand the over saturated colors.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
To me the amoled screen is a negative. I can't stand the over saturated colors.
I've been with you on that brosko, all the way up until I got my Nexus 6. The AMOLED screen on the 6 is saturated, but in my opinion pleasantly so. To me its very much like old Kodachrome slide film. Everybody loved Kodachrome, but if you ever used it, it's definitely highly saturated.

I definitely would not want an AMOLED screen on a computer that was running Photoshop. For Photoshop you need absolutely pure colors. You still don't get that with an AMOLED screen but they have come a lot closer. I will say again, I do like AMOLED on my Nexus 6.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been with you on that brosko, all the way up until I got my Nexus 6. The AMOLED screen on the 6 is saturated, but in my opinion pleasantly so. To me its very much like old Kodachrome slide film. Everybody loved Kodachrome, but if you ever used it, it's definitely highly saturated.

I definitely would not want an AMOLED screen on a computer that was using Photoshop. For Photoshop you need absolutely pure colors. You still don't get that with an AMOLED screen but they have come a lot closer. I will say again, I do like AMOLED on my Nexus 6.

Thanks for the input. I have never seen the n6 in person. I guess I gotta check it out one of these days. Problem is then I'll probably buy it, as if the 6 devices I have already aren't enough. :)