Google Nexus 9 First impressions, likes and dislikes

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Would love to hear what others think of the N9

My initial thoughts,

I find the color is not as much to my liking as the N7. The whites are not pure white and have a creamy look compared to the N7

Getting to the settings is a pita maybe I am missing something but to access settings I am pulling down top left notifications touching my icon top right then touch the settings wheel

I find it way faster than my N7 but battery is running down faster

Nice to have a larger screen.

Sound is much better, but pressing the sound button is not easy

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: First impressions, likes and dislikes

For the most part I love it! I'm coming from a 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 so this is a major upgrade for me.

The screen is beautiful, the size is pretty much perfect and the speakers are amazing! Lollipop is great and it runs super smooth!

My only two complaints are that it seems to get REALLY hot and the battery is running down very quickly.

Posted via the Android Central App

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

This replaces my 2013 Nexus 7 and so far I feel this isn't worth $526. The physical buttons barely protrudes and are annoying to press when needed. I have light bleeding from several corners of my screen and it runs pretty warm when installing all my apps from the Nexus 5. It feels lighter than my N7 but its size makes my hand and arms tired with little use so I can't use it laying down for any prolong time. No physical defects on my tablet as others have reported. The speaker placement is excellent. The screen is excellent with good viewing angles and doesn't look bad in direct sunlight.

Software wise, I experienced stuttering on certain apps. There is frequent lag and transition skipping when switching to the recent apps and home screen sometimes. Some apps crash and Clash of Clans doesn't run very well at the moment. I'm not too concerned about the OS performance since retail Lollipop is the biggest update ever and isn't a day old. I understand that apps need time updating and optimizing. The letterbox on YouTube videos is pretty annoying. I wish there was a way to stretch what I'm watching. Personally, I don't care about tablet version of apps and am happy to use phone versions only.

Overall my biggest gripe is that it's too big for me. This could change when I'm able to root and install pie controls to replace the navigation keys. Luckily Best Buy is on their holiday return policy so I can get a full refund by January 15th if I don't like the Nexus 9 by then. I'll definitely get the Nexus 6 and if I really like the phone, it will replace both my Nexus 5, 7, and I'll refund the 9.

Last edited:

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

My battery life is really sucking too, I've been using it off and on since noon. So far I have about 1.5 hours of SOT and my battery is down to 55%. I haven't done much thats super battery intensive. Browsed some web pages, social media, watched 20 minutes of Youtube videos, and played Fruit Ninja for 10 minutes or so. I won't make any hasty judgments, but I'd hope for a bit battery life eventually.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

My battery life is really sucking too, I've been using it off and on since noon. So far I have about 1.5 hours of SOT and my battery is down to 55%. I haven't done much thats super battery intensive. Browsed some web pages, social media, watched 20 minutes of Youtube videos, and played Fruit Ninja for 10 minutes or so. I won't make any hasty judgments, but I'd hope for a bit battery life eventually.

I believe there's a software update available that's supposed to improve battery life. Have a look and see if there's a software update waiting for you.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I believe there's a software update available that's supposed to improve battery life. Have a look and see if there's a software update waiting for you.

There was a 200 MB update that I took as soon as I unboxed it. I assume this is the one everyone is talking about. I'll probably try draining the battery fully tomorrow then see how it goes on cycle #2.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Reminiscent of the 2012 Nexus 7 I noticed that performance stutters pretty bad if you're doing anything while apps are updating and torrents are running which is basically while files are being written on the storage space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci