Image Editing App

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has a cool feature that you can take screen shots or snap a picture and you can immediately draw / write on it using a stylus or your finger.

Does the Nexus 9 have a feature like this? I take a lot of screen shots for my developers and being able to write a note pointing out a grammatical error, misplaced button or a responsive page that is off would be useful. Also, can this tablet use a stylus well & responsively, if so what do you recommend?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No can do on both.

You can use any image editing apps that allow you to write over the screenshot, but you won't be able to do it 'directly' as you can with Samsung devices. You'd need to take the screenshot, open the app, edit the image, done.

As for the stylus, the Nexus line doesn't have the same hardware the Note line does (Wacom's tech) and as such, it cannot use a stylus like the S-Pen. Like most other phones and tablets (Microsoft's Surface line does support Wacom's stylus, so even the S-Pen will work on those!) you're confined to 'regular' capacitive stylus, which are not nearly as accurate as the S-Pen.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use any image editing apps that allow you to write over the screenshot, but you won't be able to do it 'directly' as you can with Samsung devices. You'd need to take the screenshot, open the app, edit the image, done.

Thanks for your response! In regards to the text I quoted, I've opened a screen shot but when I edit it only let's me adjust the saturation, not add text. Is it an app I should download to do this, if so any recommendations? As you can tell this is my first go at Android - lifetime Apple user.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe Pixlr lets you do this, as well as Photoshop Express. There are quite a lot of apps out there that let you edit pictures and add text and drawing overlays, but those are the two I use. If you want it for your tablet, there is a Photoshop app for tablets that's more closely related to the desktop client, but that's not free as the Express version.

PoisonAlice

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Switch is probably the closest thing I can think of for what you are looking for. It works with Evermore and uploads right to your account from Skitch when finished. I know you can take photos from inside both Evermore and Skitch. I couldn't tell you about screencaps, as I have never had a need to do anything like that. If you don't have Evernote or tried it, I would give it a try, it works well for work stuff, you can send notes right to people and they can open them without a password or anything but only someone with the direct link can see it and you can always edit it later to make it private again, and they just added a new nifty feature that allows you to chat with anyone, whether or not they have an account, right inside a note. So you can be sharing markups and chat about them at the same time inside the note with the markup. It might be something worth looking into. There's also the OneNote app, it lets you write with your finger, but there's no in app camera ability, so you would have to open the picture up in the app, and takes a few more steps than Evernote to share with others. Beyond that, I can't think of anything that's note a full photo editing app. It's unfortunate how limited the Google Drive app is too, because on PC, you can create and edit all types of documents inside Google Drive and share with anyone. If their app did that, even in a limited way, it could have been another good option. Unfortunately I can't give any advice on how each one works with screen caps, but Skitch is the quickest route from capture to inside app, I believe. And it has the least frills, visually, which is actually a plus in my book, the "cleaner", less busy apps seems to open faster and run faster and more responsive than ones full of options you'll likely never use. Oh, and it does PDF files too (oops, that's a Premium feature. But Premium is pretty cheap for a year and I think worth it.) It also lets you Mark up webpages and maps that you open up directly inside the app, which is pretty cool.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk