Anyone have HTC fix light bleed on their N9?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All,

Just got my Nexus 9 (finally) during Black Friday sales on Amazon. Love the device, however, I do have significant light bleed. Sent a tweet to HTC and they said to contact support. The guy I chatted with from HTC support said they can fix the device but it will take 7-10 days. His other option was to send it back to Amazon for a replacement. Here's my dilemma... I'm not sure if HTC can really fix the light bleed. Has anyone else done this? And, after reading other folks exchanging their N9 for a new one, only to have the same amount of light bleed or more, I'm hesitant to go that route. What should I do? Anyone else have success doing either one?

J

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They would either replace the LCD panel or just do the same as they're suggesting: Replace the device for another one. At this point, I couldn't suggest either. If the light bleed was a 'first batch' issue, you might still get a 'first batch' replacement unit and have the issue again... but repairing on a new device is always something that makes you cringe, so...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But if you must choose, I'd get a replacement unit. Worse case scenario is you get another light-bleeder and you have to send that one back yet again.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
But if you must choose, I'd get a replacement unit. Worse case scenario is you get another light-bleeder and you have to send that one back yet again.

Not necessarily the worst case scenario. What happens if you get one with battery problems, overheating problems or an extremely soft back? Or some other horrible build quality defect? It could definitely be a lot worse I think.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The bleed isn't horrible, I've seen worse in this forum. Just more of an annoyance. Maybe I'll deal with it. Everything else is working well.

J

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm in d same boat, light bleed is there (honestly if I never read these forums I wud have not known) but don't want to exchange cuz I don't have other probs. prolly gonna just stick with it

Posted via the Android Central App with my Moto X G1

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily the worst case scenario. What happens if you get one with battery problems, overheating problems or an extremely soft back? Or some other horrible build quality defect? It could definitely be a lot worse I think.

I meant returning it for another one as the worst case scenario... that still applies for any build-quality defect that you might get... Shame that HTC had so many issues with this one :(

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried to upload a picture of mine. I would say moderate to severe light bleed. Also it seems like the middle of the screen is blotchy. With bright screen I see a distinct line that is brighter than the rest right in the middle going left to right when in portrait. My wife says I'm being too picky, and I almost talk myself into thinking she's right until I go by best buy and see a perfect 9 with no bleed whatsoever. Makes me go back to the thought of why am I settling when I'm the one that paid $450 for it.

Posted via the Android Central App

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's the attachment. Full brightness in a completely dark room. Also, after thinking about it. I'm going to exchange it, but I'm going to wait until the maximum exchange time is almost up. Hopefully that way I can get a newly manufactured one with less defects. If that one has defects, I'll get a refund and get the shield.

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried to upload a picture of mine. I would say moderate to severe light bleed. Also it seems like the middle of the screen is blotchy. With bright screen I see a distinct line that is brighter than the rest right in the middle going left to right when in portrait. My wife says I'm being too picky, and I almost talk myself into thinking she's right until I go by best buy and see a perfect 9 with no bleed whatsoever. Makes me go back to the thought of why am I settling when I'm the one that paid $450 for it.

If you are going to best buy and seeing a perfect model of the exact same same tablet that you paid that much money for and yours is not perfect absolutely get an exchange as that is obviously not normal and no one is being to picky expecting a "normal" non defective device when they paid full retail price for it! (I know, a nice long run on sentence) :)

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Here's the attachment. Full brightness in a completely dark room. Also, after thinking about it. I'm going to exchange it, but I'm going to wait until the maximum exchange time is almost up. Hopefully that way I can get a newly manufactured one with less defects. If that one has defects, I'll get a refund and get the shield.

Why wait? By then you'll just have your tablet that much more set up and customized to your liking and it will that much more a pita starting from scratch with a new one. I say make it right and exchange it asap. And if you dont do any further customizations because you are planning on exchanging you're just losing that much more time that you could be setting up and enjoying your new non defective unit IMO.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That is some BAD light bleed. I'd return it now myself if mine was that bad.

J

It does look horrible in that setting, and I do believe it's enough to warrant a return. But let's he honest, unless I'm outside, I NEVER put my brightness above even 50 percent. In a dark room, it's at minimum brightness. Even then I can see a little light bleed in the corners, it's only on completely dark backgrounds.

I contacted HTC and they gave me the same spill as the OP. Basically, send it back to Amazon because they will only tear mine apart to fix it or send me a refurbished one. All amazon orders placed in the holiday time have a return date of January 31st, not just the normal 30 days.

My thought process is if it's barely noticeable in mostly normal usage, why rush to send it back only to get a replacement that may have came from the same or similar batch? You know they are going to move a lot of product over the holidays. By that time hopefully HTC has fixed all the issues with the early batches. The last thing I want to do is get one, only to have to return it again. If the one I get to replace next month has same amount of light bleed, then I will send it back again, or just ask for a refund and get the shield. I so don't want to do this though because I use mine as a magazine and news reader. The nexus ratio is perfect for my consumption.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That is some BAD light bleed. I'd return it now myself if mine was that bad.

J

Although that light bleed is horrible, understand it's 100% brightness in a completely dark room. Very rarely with the exception of being outside in daylight do I ever put my brightness above 50%, it just hurts my eyes. In a completely dark room I use minimal brightness. In normal usage for me, only when I am on a dark background can I see the lightbleed. While it is a nuisance because I'm a perfectionist, it really doesn't affect usage. Reading somewhere else Google's reply to them about the lightbleed, they say that under auto brightness in a normal setting, lightbleed that is just barely noticeable is "acceptable" and there is no guarantee that a replacement device will have any less.

Understanding that, this is my thought process. If it is barely noticeable, why rush to get a replacement. It is widely recognize that the earlier batches had more lightbleed. I would rather wait until after the holidays, once the product has moved, to get a replacement from a much newer batch. I would hate to get one in from the same/similar batch, have the same issues, then have to send it back again.

Amazon has a holiday policy that any gifts bought within this holiday season can be returned/exchanged all the way up until January 31st (as opposed to the normal 30 day window). If the device I get back in January is no better, I will be left with a decision to live with it, try getting a second replacement, or just getting a refund and going with the shield (however this is unlikely, as I use my tablet as a magazine/news reader. The 4:3 ratio is much more appealing for my needs.) We will see....

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Kinda how I feel. I'm afraid to return my N9 to Amazon knowing the possibilities of receiving a new one with even more light bleed, a rear shell that has flexibility and touch screen issues. The only other option is having HTC fix the issue which will take 7-10 business days to fix. I'm afraid it won't be fixed correctly. So, long story short... as much as I wish I had 0% light bleed, I think I'm keeping my tablet.

J

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the double post. Wrote one on tablet, didn't see it show up. Then wrote one on computer only to see that they have to be approved my moderator.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Kinda how I feel. I'm afraid to return my N9 to Amazon the possibilities of receiving a new one with even more light bleed, a rear shell that has flexibility and touch screen issues. The only other option is having HTC fix the issue which will take 7-10 business days to fix. I'm afraid it won't be fixed correctly. So, long story short... as much as I wish I had 0% light bleed, I think I'm keeping my tablet.

J

Mine has light bleed and even a flappy back. But I put it in a casing and almost never notice the light bleed during normal usage even when I tried to look for it. Only obvious when I restart the tablet.

So just enjoy the tablet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech