Constant Black Screen

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android so hopefully I can express this in terms that makes sense.

I have the Nexus 9 + Keyboard Folio. There are times throughout the day that'll I'll be typing, browsing the web or fiddling in a game when all of the sudden, the screen goes black. No big deal, I assume I've placed my finger over a sensor. When I double-tap my screen, type my password and the device makes it's "unlock" gesture the screen goes black again, and each attempt it does the same thing.

At first, I thought it was the Keyboard Folio, so I turned off bluetooth, but no luck. It takes 15+ tries before I can get back in, and sometimes I have to force restart the device to get back on the device.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you don't have anything magnetic coming near the device. The smartcover sensor works by sensing the weak magnet embedded in the lid--when it senses the magnet nearby, it assumes the lid is closed, and turns the screen off. If you have something else magnetic near the sensor, it will think the cover is closed and therefore turn the screen off.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, this does seem to happen when my iPhone 6+ is in front of the device, but it also happens when just the keyboard folio is on it and open. So no idea why it would happen in a normal typing position.

Make sure you don't have anything magnetic coming near the device. The smartcover sensor works by sensing the weak magnet embedded in the lid--when it senses the magnet nearby, it assumes the lid is closed, and turns the screen off. If you have something else magnetic near the sensor, it will think the cover is closed and therefore turn the screen off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the official keyboard case, or a third party one? Does this happen when the cover is folded back behind the tablet?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the official Keyboard Folio, happens when they keyboard is behind the tablet, or in typing position.

Do you have the official keyboard case, or a third party one? Does this happen when the cover is folded back behind the tablet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen if you take the case off?