Would a factory reimage fix the slow lagginess of my Nexus 9?

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I preordered a Nexus 9 before they were available. When I finally got it I wasn't all that impressed with the general performance, e.g. switching apps closing apps, etc. Once an app is up and running things are OK.

Anyway, I figured it was just due to some buggy software that would be cleaned up in the next few updates.

Well, it still freezes and is laggy, etc. I should have sent it back right away...

Would factory reimaging it be worth a try? Or is it just a poorly built first production run unit?
(I have tried to get Android Studio and all that stuff setup to where I could do manual updates, but I can never get it to work right, you don't have the right drivers, etc.)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Posted via the Android Central App

Segads

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, we'll I have a Nvidia shield k1 tablet and is a best, fast and responsive.

But I can recommend you try a new launcher like nova launcher

Let me know if the new launcher help

NameyMcNameface

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I did a hard reset on mine to try and fix the same problem and it didn't really help. My N9 is so laggy and slow and gets so hot I thought there had to be something wrong with it so I sent it to HTC for repair.

After a week they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. But surely that means they're saying its SUPPOSED to be hot, slow and laggy. Interesting design choice.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I do regular resets on mine. With lollipop, it was about every 6 weeks. With MM, it's about every 12-15 weeks. I've almost come to accept some lag but when it starts spontaneous reboots-haven't experienced freezing since MM, I have to reset. It seems allowing Google to re-install apps and data works as well as individual re-install with no data restored. Cache cleaning doesn't work the same. For my usage, Chrome causes the most heat. Many people report no issues, but this is my 6th Nexus device and the worst by far. Custom ROM Dirty Unicorns didn't help. I do like the screen size so it makes a nice ereader for me. I use Nova Launcher pro. I like its customizations but can't report it's any faster. I'm about to do the DPI hack to remove Chrome tab redraw as I use the tab for browsing. My Nexus 5 will probably need to be replaced by the end of the year, but if HTC makes the new Nexus, I'll wait for months of reviews before even considering another HTC purchase. I waited months on this n9 and thought it was OK not realizing that it takes about a month for problems to really show. Maybe N will help but don't want to try a beta.

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
First try enabling Show all ANRs in Developer Settings and check if any new app error pop-up comes, delete them and report issues to devs. If no new pop-up for few days try Safe Mode for few days. If helped its installed app problems. If nothing better request replacement.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I posted this under another thread but I'll copy it here also, this has made a big difference for me.

I cleared the cache partition on mine and it has helped considerably.

With the tablet off, press and hold Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you see something other than Google on the screen.

At this point, you should see a large arrow at the top of the screen.Tap Volume Down repeatedly until you see Recovery in the arrow.

*Then tap the Power button.You should see an android on his back with its chest open showing*red triangle and exclamation mark.

While holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once then release the Power button.

You should now see a list of items at top of screen.Tap Volume Down until the item to erase or wipe the cache partition is highlighted. *Then tap Power button to initiate the process.A status messages will appear at the bottom of the screen. *

Be patient because this can take 10-15 minutes to complete. *When done restart.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had mine a little over a year and reset it about a month ago. Now I try not to keep much on it and it does run better, but still not as well as I would expect for the money

almodovaris

May 10, 2016
Visit site
My two cents: your Nexus gives you problems because of malware. Or far too much apps running at the same time and crowding its memory.

What I would advise you: use Nexus Root Toolkit and flash the latest stock firmware for your Nexus. OEM lock it afterwards, if you unlocked it.

You will lose all your apps and files, so that's why you need a backup. Google automatically backups your files, if you choose so.

I have a Nexus 9 with Marshmallow 6.0.1, May 2016 update, and works like a charm.

ljfong

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did factory reset on mine when I still owned it. Nope, did not help at all. Due to general lagginess, even audio playback can have unwanted "noises" as if the CPU attempted to catch up with the audio stream and kept failing. I experienced the same problem with my Nexus 7 (2012) when I still had it. Common denominator: Nvidia Tegra-based soc so I am not too surprised reading about complaints from people regarding Pixel C, again, Nvidia Tegra-based chipset. This chipset simply rocks during benchmark, but fails hard during daily use as if it were "tuned" to perform optimally during benchmark only, that kinda reminds me of that scandal about certain German car maker.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I tried installing Android Studio and all the stuff you need to manually update your Nexus. I had success this time and reloaded a factory image and it has been working very well since. I am going to try to minimize the apps my kids put on it to keep more storage space available. Before I would hover around 3GB free... I will try to keep it more than that and see how it goes. But yes, it is working much, much better!

Thanks for all the advice!

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My N9 still gets terribly Laggy ( to the point where I just shake my head in disbelief).
I thought those days were over after MM but I thought wrong ������
Clearing the cache in recovery & in storage make it a bit more Snappy for awhile but I've gotten to the point where I don't think it will ever get much better.....
This tablet should have been Awesome, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations (or the $350 I dropped on it) in the long run.

Edit****

In fairness I do have a couple of notorious apps such as Facebook and Messenger on my N9.
I may try a full factory data reset and see how it runs with just the bare stock apps for a while.

Last edited:

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it's something to do with NVIDIA's chips. No matter how may times I've reset it, my 2014 SHIELD tablet will always eventually start getting slow and bogged down.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My N9 was an absolute pig until I bit the bullet and finally reset it with the MM update. Now it flies, and I never have any problems.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My N9 still gets terribly Laggy ( to the point where I just shake my head in disbelief).
I thought those days were over after MM but I thought wrong ������
Clearing the cache in recovery & in storage make it a bit more Snappy for awhile but I've gotten to the point where I don't think it will ever get much better.....
This tablet should have been Awesome, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations (or the $350 I dropped on it) in the long run.

Edit****

In fairness I do have a couple of notorious apps such as Facebook and Messenger on my N9.
I may try a full factory data reset and see how it runs with just the bare stock apps for a while.

I could have written this except I paid $360. I use less than 10 (it's under 5 ATM) GB of 25 available. I uninstalled FB months ago. I don't run Messenger. I installed N DP3 a few weeks ago (no wipe), and it seemed to have better ram management. Two days ago, battery went wonky and wouldn't charge in use. Then the tab just started lagging and freezing. The "easy" return to MM wasn't. Twice, the OTA resulted in "Error" while attempting boot. After flashing June images and a factory reset, the tab is functioning--well, in fact. Maybe some hope for a stable N, but this tablet is just plain weird. HTC never won me over, either. They told me that Amazon wasn't an authorized seller. I bought the tablet new. At least resets every month or so do keep it going. I love the screen size and clarity.

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 9 was on the verge of being unusable - it would take multiple attempts just to unlock (as the screen would blank before the unlock completed it was taking so long), unresponsive, etc. So I installed the latest N Preview and did a factory reset. Then re-installed my apps a few at a time every couple of days. First couple of sets of apps, everything was fine. Then I installed Amazon tablet app and Sonos. Almost immediately the slow unlock and laggy response returned. Uninstalled them both and everything was good again. I continued in re-installing my apps over a few days and didn't see the same problems. I reinstalled the Sonos app - started to have problems again. Uninstalled it, and reinstalled the Amazon app - all OK. Currently have 20 or so apps installed and it's like a different tablet. So the Sonos app could be the one that was causing problems in my case. There's a few more apps that I had installed previously, that I've decided I can do without for now, including: Outlook (using Gmail), Ondedrive (using ES Explorer Pro), Onenote, FB and WhatsApp Tablet.

So I agree with those who are saying specific apps could be causing the problems, rather than the tablet solely being at fault.

Just to add I have the same apps and more (incl. Sonos) installed on my Nexus 6P with no issues at all - so maybe specific app/Nexus 9 combination.

Dan Poulos

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Here is what my problem was after struggling with a lagging Nexus 9. Chrome sync in Google dashboard showed I had over 37,000 bookmarks due to one being duplicated. I deleted them all from chrome on my PC and then did a reset sync. Now I have just a few bookmarks and my Nexus 9 is as fast as the day I got it.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll look into that :)

I always close them before closing chrome though (never really have more than one at a time)... I'm OCD about such things.